SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which 228 should I carry?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 228 should I carry? Login/Join 
posted
So I picked up another P228 or in this case an M11. Was going to carry one of my P228s and wasn't sure which ones were the ones to save. I have a triple serial # west German 228, a later non triple serial number 228 that is basically new in the box, and the M11 I picked up. Which one has or will have the least future collectability? Don't plan on beating any of them up but a carry gun does get wear. Thanks in advance for your input.

Posts: 192 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
quote:
later non triple serial number 228

This one. Still has the lighter frame and still a great weapon.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
If the M11 is the newer M11-A1 (really a 229 Big Grin), that has the "least" future collectability.

But for carry, I'd go with the non triple SN 228. For me, the 228 just balances better in my hand then the 229.

Posts: 12540 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M11 does say M11-a1 on the slide and has the 15rnd mags so agreed it is really a P229. Not so worried about the little bit of extra weight just don't want to scuff up a new in the box true p228 unless the M11 would be more valuable in the future. Sounds like aside from the P229 vs true P228 differences the M11 will probably never be as collectable as a true p228 and probably not worth much if any more than the standard p229?

Posts: 192 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Carry the M11-A1. It's a P229, originally built for the .40 round, so you can shoot more +P ammo. If you don't shoot much +P, then carry the P228. German proofed or US assembled one doesn't really matter. There is no real collectability, unless your German proofed P228 is NIB/NOS, with all the original stuff with it, or unless you have the real military M11. Be aware, however, there are fake M11s out there. Pricing on the used P228 has leveled off for a while now. In fact, it has lowered a bit compared to a couple of years ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Or do like somebody else around here^^^^ and do a karma that people won't forget. Razz Razz

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t expect any of them to have any collector value. The only P228s that are collectors are rare-ish ones (factory nickel, real M11). They are great guns, but very common. They jumped in price for a short bit after being discontinued but normalized pretty quickly.

Which should you carry? The M11-A1. Frankly it’s a better pistol overall (which is subjective) and it’s becoming quite difficult to find parts for real P228s (breech blocks/extractors).

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have a 1990 P228 and a new M11A1. My thought process is to carry the new M11A1. Even though the new gun was more expensive, it CAN be easily replaced. I'm not sure if the older Sig is more collectable, but it is to me.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like first world problems:-) Correct answer, the one you like the most.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I bought my P228 when they flooded the market years ago. Mine was stolen and 6 months later I got a call from the police saying they recovered the gun. They said after the case was resolved I would get it back. When I got it back it was in the same condition as before it was stolen.
I learned then that I shouldn't leave a gun in my Truck.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
I have a 1990 P228 and a new M11A1. My thought process is to carry the new M11A1. Even though the new gun was more expensive, it CAN be easily replaced. I'm not sure if the older Sig is more collectable, but it is to me.

This is my thought process as well. Carry the M11. I don't carry the 228s ever, heck I barely shoot them. Not that I think they have any collectibility, I just want to save them and be able to shot them over the next 30 years. Great guns, I actually like my M11-A1 as much or even better than the 228s, but I won't be selling them anytime soon.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my M11A1 & P226 MK25, but have always found the stock grips a bit bulbous...I do shoot them well however, but have long wondered if the P228 is a bit thinner midships?

The best Sig for 'grip-feel' in my hands is the P225A1...in fact, I find it nearly as comfortable as a Browning Hi-Power...this latter, IMHO, is the Zoot Capri of auto pistol grips. What say you fellow Sig shooters...is the 228 any thinner than an M11A1? Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodfac:
I really like my M11A1 & P226 MK25, but have always found the stock grips a bit bulbous...I do shoot them well however, but have long wondered if the P228 is a bit thinner midships?

....What say you fellow Sig shooters...is the 228 any thinner than an M11A1? Rod

Their grip dimensions are identical.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post