SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The year is 1983. Pick a pistol.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The year is 1983. Pick a pistol. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by hile:
Glock 17

Would you have been able to get one of those in 1983? Didn't they JUST come out that year and only for the Austrian armed forces?

Nope, as stated earlier in the thread, they didn't start exporting them until 1986. If the thread specified 1986, that would have been my pick as I have one of those early exports and carry it.

Looking at the OP's post, I don't see any restrictions except no 1911s.

Posts: 4590 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 659 or the M66

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bren Tens. Big Grin Of course If I could not get magazines for them then I would switch to S&W Model 59's.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer:
Beretta 93R.

I like the way you think as do the carabinieri

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P225

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Forty Cal
posted Hide Post
P226

Posts: 1301 | Location: The Golden State--CA | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Looking at the OP's post, I don't see any restrictions except no 1911s.

The year is the restriction...

It's hypothetically 1983. The Glock 17 wasn't available in the US until 1986. Even for LEOs.

So unless we're talking some black market gun-smuggling backroom deals with Gaston himself here, or perhaps a Mission: Impossible-style break-in to an Austrian Army armory (say that 3x fast) to steal some for your team, it ain't gonna happen in 1983. Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
quote:
Originally posted by taguin:
HK P9

I’ll agree with this one. Love the P9s

this,

or BHP,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Definitely a P220 .45 since the 1911 is off the table.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 459 but if budget allows it, Beretta 92.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic topic. Thanks for the thread.

Well, I guess the logical answer would be the Sig 220, Sig 225, BHP. (Was the Beretta 92 trusted yet in 1983?)

But the right answer has gotta be the P7.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
P220 .38 Super
Desert Eagle .357
MP5-SD 9mm
Browning Hi-Power 9mm

Everyone would have their favorite and no one could hoard the magazines.

If I had to choose just one, nine rounds of .357 Magnum should suffice.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
S&W 459

This if I could find one of the aftermarket arched back straps.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I change my mind.
The Bren Ten.
Big Grin

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Since it is 1983, HK P7.
It was light years ahead of its time.

Fantastic pistol.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Glocks did not hit the US until 85 or 86. The 645 was not around in 83 for sure. I think the P7 M8 would be my choice, it certainly was what I wanted back then but could not afford.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would pick the the BHP.

In 1983 it has a long proven track record, a lot of other good choices that others had picked were pretty new and unproven.

It would be the easiest one to get mags and parts for, and a gunsmith to work on it.

It would also be the most common one in use around the world.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Browning Hi Power would be my choice in 1983 if the 1911 is off the table.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
1. SiG 220 ... In 45 of course
2. HK P9S, also in 45
3. BHP
4. Steyr GB
5. Beretta 92

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm...probably a P225 but I'm also thinking HK P7, Hi Power or Beretta 92. Ugh, it's too hard to choose.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post