SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The year is 1983. Pick a pistol.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The year is 1983. Pick a pistol. Login/Join 
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
P226

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Jerry, in Jan 1987 a Naval Officer buddy of my Dad's took me out to try about 20 pistols and revolvers and it was the P226 that seemed to fit my hand bast and that I was able to consistently put rounds on target with the smallest groups.

I'm curious why you're asking this question?

Also, I sending you an email with something related to your question that may interest you...

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Good luck getting CZ-75's in the US in 1983, remember they were being made in communist block Czechoslovakia. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
BHP MkII...

Posts: 1273 | Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
My first choice is the 226, second is the 92.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
The P220 or the then new model P226

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Considering the ammo of the time P220 in .45.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
beretta 92S

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I would be 4 years old but I think my 4 year old self could handle the smooth recoil of the P7. If custom pistols are on the table a full house custom 59 Devel would be my #1 choice.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
S&W 469

(Which just barely makes the cutoff, being released in 1983... Wink)

The Glock 19 of its time.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I was working on a small Department in MT and I was carrying my Browning BDA, in .45 acp.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK P9

Posts: 827 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
With what I knew back then--which was not much in the semi-auto pistol world--it probably would've been a "S&W", so likely a 39-2.

With the hindsight from today, it would be a G17, especially what I own the most of and rely implicitly upon these days. Though I kinda doubt that there was many available on these shores for actual civilian consumption at that time.

But when I consider the emotional, neophyte fool that I was and not far removed from college at the time, I would've rather have had a Colt Python over either, because I still think of revolvers as 'pistols' despite what others say. At it was then as it is now, it remains a über cool gun. What other reason does a relative 'kid' need to critique and choose a gun, right? Roll Eyes

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
With the hindsight from today, it would be a G17, especially what I own the most of and rely implicitly upon these days. Though I kinda doubt that there was many available on these shores for actual civilian consumption at that time.

There were none available at that time.

The first Glocks were imported into the US for LE and commercial sales in January 1986.

A few years too late for jljones' scenario.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92 without a moments hesitation.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92 for me as well. BHP second.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beretta 92

^^^THIS^^^

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
P7 since I had a BHP at that time.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
9mm P220.
Here in Switzerland, in 1983, the P226 was only availabel through connections to SIGArms.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P225. I believe they were available then.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post