SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Reducing Double Action Pull Weight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reducing Double Action Pull Weight Login/Join 
posted
I have a pair of Sig stainless steel elite pistols (P220 and P226) both with double action pull weights of 11+ pounds. I'm wondering what weight I can reduce these to and still be reliable? Gunsmith recommendation?

Thanks.

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My recommendation would be to send them to GrayGuns -

https://grayguns.com/

They have a good reputation and Bruce (the owner) is also a respected member of SIGforum.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve had excellent results with Robert Burke (TheSigArmorer).

Excellent work.
Reasonable prices.
Fast turn-around.
Responsive customer communication.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The easiest and least expensive method to try for a start is change the mainsprings to lower power Wolff springs. That’s relatively simple to do and costs very little.

Reliability, including after a gunsmith changes the springs, must be determined by trial. Factory springs are clearly designed to ensure that the gun will fire all ammunition that’s likely to be used in it. Some ammunition has harder or less sensitive primers, and the spring that will ignite one type may not fire another. And in my long-ago experience with Wolff springs, they wear out, unlike factory springs, and must be replaced periodically.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lower power spring will reduce not only the double action pull weight, but usually the single action pull as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook smoothing the action out in addition to lighter springs. Reducing friction can make a big difference.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Howdy! In the interest of shameless marketing...my company offers our enhanced leverage trigger system, which reduces DA pull weight by 22-25% with factory springs. This system replaces the trigger and trigger bar with our OEM-quality parts. From there, we offer preset mainsprings, our Competition sear spring, the machined tool-Steel SRT Kit (made under agreement with our friends at SIG), and in-house action work performed personally by me and Keith Hosey if desired. Nothing else on this planet compares, and I’m not shy about saying so. 45 years of experience is why.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very pleased with the work from Grayguns on my Sigs.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Grayguns SRT kit with coated sear and 19 pound main springs really makes the trigger nice. It's in stock and very affordable. Plus it's real easy to install.

Link

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it reduce trigger pull weight?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to find a kit that would reduce the DA pull of a Polish P64 Makarov from 25lbs to about 10lbs, without making the SA pull a "1/2 lb hair trigger".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Sig p226 stainless steel elite and did order the Grayguns enhanced leverage trigger system. Installation was easy and the improvement in both double and single action was significantly enhanced. A 25% decrease in trigger is a reality. This pistol is now much more pleasurable to shoot and my groups have improved which can only be contributed to the improved trigger.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some factory weights go as high as 24lbs. I've had good luck with 20lb springs. I wouldn't go lower than that, but you might get away with a pound or two lighter.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of #19 mainsprings in the P series. Never any reliability issues and a very good improvement in the DA pull.

My P226 had a full Grayguns duty level action job and short reset treatment.

I got an old P6 with the most atrocious DA pull I've ever felt. Grayguns triggers weren't an option. So, I polished the trigger bar and hammer, installed a #19 mainspring and a Sig SRT kit, resulted in a fantastic trigger.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love to find a kit that would reduce the DA pull of a Polish P64 Makarov from 25lbs to about 10lbs, without making the SA pull a "1/2 lb hair trigger".

SOLD!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Does it reduce trigger pull weight?

I didn't have a trigger pull scale available when I installed it, but it felt smother and lighter after I installed the SRT kit and 19 lb main spring. The 19lb spring is lighter than the factory standard spring.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the factory spring weight is 24 lbs so a 19 makes a big difference. My experience with the SRT kit in my old P6 is that the parts were machined a lot better and the trigger was way smoother after install.

A drop in trigger job that would get you 90% of a gunsmith action job (IMO) would be the Grayguns EDC trigger kit or the dual adjustable trigger (you'll save money but you won't get the custom DA reducing trigger bar), P series spring set and either the Grayguns SRT or Sig SRT kit.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
You asked and Bruce Grey responded. Doesn’t get better than that. His work cannot he beat. Don’t forget the short reset.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
You asked and Bruce Grey responded. Doesn’t get better than that. His work cannot he beat. Don’t forget the short reset.

Yep, and his EDC trigger upgrade consisting of a trigger and a trigger bar can stand on its own in getting a really nice trigger pull upgrade.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Just curious, On a 226/229 whats the lowest trigger pull weight tou can get with reliability?

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses.

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post