Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Grips Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
Bought a standard P226 last year that came with the E2 grips that have to lock in and no screws....came with the special tool that some how pops the grip out....
I just picked up a Dessert Tan MK25 and the grip on it seems larger...screwed on Grips... I've figured out that the difference is in the area just behind the mag release ...With the E2 grips this area is thinner... I like this feel much better.
I'd like to dress up the Mk-25 with possibly wood grips and would like them or what ever grips I put on to have the same 'thinner' feel as the E2s... what is out there?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of Hogue Piranha grips. They also make some really pretty wood grips:

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/sigsauer/p226

There's also Nills:

https://www.nill-griffe.com/Pr...Pistol_Grips_30.html

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put the Hogue G10 Pirahna grips on a P225 and I love them! They look great, feel good, and are definitely thinner than the factory plastic.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
It's more than the area behind the mag release. E2 grips put the web of your hand in farther on the backstrap, as well.

The Mk25 has factory plastic grips. Wood or rubber grips will be thicker than those, and G-10's (whether checkered, piranha, or chainlink) will feel thinner. Aluminum are about the same, but mar easily and are more subject to temperature.

I favor the G-10's. I have never tried checkered, but a lot of folks like them a lot. I have piranha on two of my pistols and chainlink on my competition gun. The chainlink works better for me when it's hot out and my hands are sweaty. I don't think they'd be as comfortable for carry, though.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
go to your local gunshop, if they have a some sigs try out the grips

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufactures Rep.
Picture of Ken @ Hogue Inc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Bought a standard P226 last year......
I'd like to dress up the Mk-25 with possibly wood grips and would like them or what ever grips I put on to have the same 'thinner' feel as the E2s... what is out there?

You would be hard pressed to get a wood grip, thin. Need the beef to prevent breakage. Hogue G10 are thinner than wood , much more durable and may be the last grip you will need.
Black Friday deals are coming. Wink Keep an eye out

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog

Posts: 1596 | Location: Home Office, Paso Robles, CA -Headquarters, Henderson, NV. -W/Warehouses in San Diego, CA and Vienna, Austria | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Ken's the man! Two of my three grips have come through his announced sales.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
I have the Hogue aluminum checkered on my P226 DAK and they definitely feel thinner. Feels like a different gun. Much better.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot! when I first held the Mk-25 after picking it up, I'm thinking the trigger is further forward... this does not feel right. the back strap on the factory grip being thicker as well as the sides too makes sense... them Navy seals must have big hands... I guess it helps them swim faster. Seems the vote is for the Hogues and I'm pretty sure that's the way I'll go..

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Thanks a lot! when I first held the Mk-25 after picking it up, I'm thinking the trigger is further forward... this does not feel right. the back strap on the factory grip being thicker as well as the sides too makes sense... them Navy seals must have big hands... I guess it helps them swim faster. Seems the vote is for the Hogues and I'm pretty sure that's the way I'll go..

You may benefit from installing the short reach trigger, assuming you currently have the fatter one.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I went to the Hogue site and looked up the Piranha G10 grips and have one concern... in the description of all these G10's it says this, "- Will fit the P226 E2. Remove the E2 grips to expose the screw holes. You must purchase grips screws in addition to the new grips. This retrofits the 226 E2 back to standard 226 grip dimensions."

I don't want to go back to the standard grip dimensions, I want the same as the E2s. I like the way the G10s look and have respect for Hogue grips but don't really want to spend $120, or even $20, on a grip that is still too big for my hands.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
In regard to "thinness, there is nothing out there that will give you the same short trigger reach and contour as the E2. Best you can do with traditional two piece panels is G10 and a shorter physical trigger, if you don't already have the Short Reach trigger.

The E2 also uses a different hammer strut/plastic base assembly than the two panel equipped pistols. They had to change the geometry in order to make the E2 grip smaller...less clearance. Sig may have standardized on the E2 assembly now, I don't really know. The E2 assembly works with BOTH E2 and two panel grips. The opposite is not true.
See my third post for pics/explanation:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9190041234

Regarding "retrofits the 226 E2 back to standard 226 grip dimensions." I think he may have meant the grip CONFIGURATION, rather than dimensions per se. Ken might want to change that to "retrofits the 226 E2 back to standard 226 two panel grip configuration." Grip screws are purchased to install ANY conventional two piece flat panel grips on most P-series Sigs equipped with E2 grips.

A primer on dealing with a pistol whose grip frame/grip is too large for the shooter's hand, especially large guns with DA/SA:

1) First, the main issue is how close to the trigger face your trigger finger is. Especially important with the heavier DA shot. If the distance is too long, it prevents proper trigger manipulation. Contour is as important as thinness in reducing trigger reach.

2) Regarding Item 1, the reach of the physical trigger is the other consideration for a proper fit. Varies by gun and individual. Several trigger options. In order of longest reach to shortest: (1) Sig OEM Standard trigger, (2) GrayGuns P-SAIT (Intermediate reach) trigger (3) Sig OEM Short Reach trigger.

3) Finally, the grip style itself. In order of longest reach to shortest: (1) Hogue rubber, (2) Wood, generally (3) Sig OEM Standard plastic two panel grips (4) G10 grips (5) Sig E2 grips.

All of the above is based on my own experience using all of the grips mentioned and all of the triggers. My own Sig classic P-series are currently equipped as follows. G10 checkered grips, GrayGuns P-SAIT (Intermediate reach) triggers. All have skateboard tape on the front strap.

Some observations:

1) E2 grips. While they solved the trigger reach issue, they were grip sensitive for me under certain conditions.

2) Standard Sig OEM two panel plastic grips. Slippery, especially the back straps. I did use them starting in 1995 with my Sig P229 .40. Had to offset shooting hand to get closer to trigger face. You can do this with practice, but I don't like having to change my preferred technique for one gun. After 47,000 rounds I got used to it though.

3) G10 checkered grips. The thinness and contour place the trigger finger closer to the trigger face than standard Sig OEM grip panels. Plus the back strap is much more functional. The back strap, along with the skateboard tape locks the gun in nicely under recoil. Choice of texture is personal preference.

4) Hated the Short reach Sig OEM trigger. Pinched and had funky feel. Some like it, but not for me. The GrayGuns trigger splits the difference between the Sig Short and Standard trigger reaches. Plus has a contour that makes it less susceptible to lateral displacement.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nipper, some great info there.

I'm not of the level that I can really decern all the slight differences in grips and triggers. I don't shoot a whole log... in fact little at all. what I do is take off twice a year for training where you do some shooting... one is about 600 rounds over several days... the other is less than three mags but you are shooting at someone shooting back at you (frangible ammo)
I ordered a set of the Hogue Piranha G10 grips from the Sig store... cost about $10 more but I needed to order a few other items... like some 10 round mags in case I end up in a semi-commie state. Also a vest as a Christmas present for my dog. I guess we'll see if they are thin enough for my dinky hands.
I know it might sound like I am 'limp wristing' but I ordered the green Piranha grips... I think they will look better on the dessert tan Mk-25 I have just picked up.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
+4 for the Hogue Piranha G10 grips. Checkered ones aren't bad either, I just prefer the Piranha. I have them on my 220s and a 225. On the 220s, I installed the short reach trigger (no pinch here) and the SRT. Much better fit than standard OEM for better shooting.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hogue's aluminum grip panels are about as thin as it comes short of going with the factory E² grip. However I found that the finish on the aluminum pieces that I've tried is kind of soft and scratches too easily. If there were a more durable universe, these would be Cerakoted rather than anodized. Plus Cerakote offers a ton more color options.

I've come to really, REALLY like G10 and Micarta grips on SIGs and other pistols. Not as thin as the aluminum but still thinner than the base stock plastics and the way that those are formed. My one wish is that someone would form the better stuff with magwell funneling, similar to the extended factory magwell plastic (aka TACOPS) grips that I have on my Mk25. Not that I'm any good at being a very tactical guy, but I've become quite used to those tapered leading edges for magazine reloading and would want the same with any alternative grips.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
G10 Grips from Sig made by Hogue came in today....

I like 'em... the feel and look good:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
Looks good. Enjoy

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Follow up....

I decided to take a chance... I flew to Nevada last week and took Front Sights 4 day defensive hand gun course for the 3rd time and took this 'virgin' MK-25 with me. Shot if for the first time on last Friday the first day of class... put just under 600 rounds through it over the four days....I think I like the still slightly thinner wrap around E2 Sig grips better but I managed okay with these. I suspect it was just me, but I did not shoot as well with this pistol as I have in the past... 1st with a Ruger P95 and then with a standard Sig P226 with the E2 grips... but to be honest I had one more miss on the shooting test than the other two times... only one miss on each of them. Oh, and as expected...out of close to 600 rounds, not one malfunction. I suspect the pistol is now broken in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blume9mm,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"