SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 10mm Gen 3SF vs Gen 4
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 10mm Gen 3SF vs Gen 4 Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Seriously considering picking up a couple of 10mm Glocks, a 20 and a 29. From what I can gather the the Gen 3SF and Gen 4 grips are dimensionally the same with a more aggressive texture on the Gen 4. Any other significant differences between the two versions?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Just the usual stuff that the Gen4 has over the Gen3: larger surface area for the magazine catch for the Gen4, which also can be swapped around for a lefty. Additive backstraps for those with hand that prefer a larger grip. Dual spring RSA. Mushy trigger with ample creep after the initial stack point. Both now have a lousy, rust-prone slide finish which lacks the famed Tenifer pretreatment of the raw steel that earlier Glocks had.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 gen4s and a gen3. I much prefer the 4 over the 3 for the options of grip size and the larger mag release.

I guess the 3sf is the same grip size as the 4 without any backstraps installed but the 4 still had the larger mag release. I’d ditch the 3 altogether but it was a gift from a friend who’s no longer with us so it’s staying.

I have the gen3 29 as well, one of the first guns I ever purchased.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Gen 3 SF, which is the same as a Gen 4 without backstrap, so far as hand size.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I wish I had never acquired any gen 4s.
The trigger is about a pound heavier (as per my triggger finger) and even with a minus connector, they can't be made to feel as good as gen 3. Personal preference, MHO, YMMV.
Grip size change isn't that big of a deal to me, I wear XXL gloves and put a Houge sleeve on all of them anyway.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
The trigger is about a pound heavier (as per my triggger finger) and even with a minus connector, they can't be made to feel as good as gen 3. Personal preference, MHO, YMMV.
Grip size change isn't that big of a deal to me, I wear XXL gloves and put a Houge sleeve on all of them anyway.

I’ve heard of people installing gen 3 trigger bars that don’t have the bump on them in the gen 4 guns to smooth out the trigger. I can’t tell much of a difference honestly, but my gen 4 g20 came with a smooth face trigger shoe and I can’t really justify changing anything on this one

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:

I’ve heard of people installing gen 3 trigger bars that don’t have the bump on them in the gen 4 guns to smooth out the trigger. I can’t tell much of a difference honestly, but my gen 4 g20 came with a smooth face trigger shoe and I can’t really justify changing anything on this one

I change to gen 3 triggers on all my gen 4's I put one in my G30 gen 4 and the trigger pull improved alot!
It is my main woods gun.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I stuck a Zev in my G41, it now has a great trigger.

Sporting purposes only.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve heard of people installing gen 3 trigger bars that don’t have the bump on them in the gen 4 guns to smooth out the trigger.

This.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I didn't really see a difference with a gen 3 trigger installed. Switched out the 34 and 41 to gen 3 trigger bars and it didn't feel any different to me at the time.

I'll have to dust off my 41, (I ended up just getting a gen3 34 to not deal with it) and try again just to see if my perception at the time was off kilter.

I was thinking about getting a 10mm with the next Glock certificate I win just because. Though I really don't have a need/want for another caliber to stock.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
They can be seen as mostly the same as some will swap the parts with either version.
The deciding factor for me was the Gen4 will also accept a 40 MOS slide.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Seriously considering picking up a couple of 10mm Glocks, a 20 and a 29. From what I can gather the the Gen 3SF and Gen 4 grips are dimensionally the same with a more aggressive texture on the Gen 4. Any other significant differences between the two versions?

I carry a G29 often, but got rid of my G20 to get G40 MOS RMR for when I want the bigger version. As big as the G20 is, ya may as well carry the even bigger G40, IMO.

ymmv

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't matter if you send it to Boresight, they fix it up better than anyone else.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

As you stated, the Gen4 and the Gen3SF have basically the same grip dimensions. I have a Gen4 G21 and a Gen3 G30SF, the biggest difference I see is the magazine release. I have to shift my grip to release the magazine on the Gen3, the release is smaller and more forward than the Gen4 with its larger pad.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post