SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    pricing a gun to sell and accessories
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pricing a gun to sell and accessories Login/Join 
posted
I have never sold a gun before.

How do you value holsters, extra mags, lasers etcetera?

Using the price of the used gun used in gun stores is that a good indication for selling in the classifieds?

percentage of new vs used accesories prices?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually price it slightly below what they would pay in a store. Otherwise, why wouldn't they just buy it in a store, where they could inspect it, etc.?

If the accessories/extras are high-value, like expensive holsters, rare mags, lasers, etc., I usually sell those separately. If it's a cheap holster and a couple of run-of-the-mill mags, I just throw those in to sweeten the deal.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really depends on the gun. A current production run of the mill gun ( for example a Glock ) will be a higher percentage off than an old classic ( I am biased as I like old classics!) and there are lots of
Market factors. When ready to sell the key ( not always easy to set a good price) is I want the price low enough for a quick sale but not so low I lose much if anything on the deal. For example I bought a used gen 2 glock 19 around 2005 for about $250 shipped. The gun at the time did not come with any magazines. I used it heavily for 15 years but kept it in good shape. I added steel sights, plus obviously bought magazines ( some cheap 10 round banners magazines and later a couple magpuls) I won a prize certificate and got a brand new Glock 19. I figure between the gun sights and 3 magazines I had about $350 in the gun and sold it for 300. I was happy. Buyer was happy money in hand. This was a personal buddy deal, if I had advertised the same thing I would have probably put it up for $425.
Old classics I always tend to buy low and sell high, generally getting more for a gun than I paid for it. Before moving west I decided to thin my herd significantly and worked through a dealer who put my guns on gunbroker and charged 25% of the sale price for the service. In every single case except one (so 29 out of 30 guns) they all sold for more than and in some cases much more than I originally paid for them.
Accessories are tough. Again if you have a modern gun/ accessory don’t expect much more than 50% of the original price. Old classics stuff again very different.
For example 2 spare lightly used Glock magazines that cost $30 each would probably only add $15 to price of a gun deal.
On the other hand an 80 year old colt 1911 with a spare correct era magazine ( which by itself may be worth $50) may add $100 to the deal price.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
accessories may sweeten the deal but don't look to recover original investment + the price of the pistol.

check gunbroker price also.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I believe it is generally a mistake to make accessories part of a gun sale unless they are clearly optional. Yeah, I am interested in your rifle, but not your crappy scope at any price.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The used gun store price is inflated. They have to pay rent, insurance, salaries, FFL license fees.

The private gun sale price should be less than gun store averages.

Why would I pay used retail price from you when I could buy it from a gun store who would most likely provide some sort of warranty or guarantee.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yep, sell the accessories separately.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Good timing on this topic . . . I'm getting ready to sell some handguns and have been struggling with the same questions as SIG2392.

The accessories I have are primarily different grips, sights, and speed-loaders for the revolvers.
And extra mags and a hard case for the semi-auto.

Looking at GUNBROKER and GUNSAMERICA makes me think I have a pretty good idea what to list them for.
So I might set up a PAYPAL account and go that route.

But the LGS/range I go to frequently will sell them on consignment.
That would probably be easier but then I'd have to pay them their percentage for selling it.
Either way I want to move them quickly -but- also get some decent cash for these.

If I throw some descriptions out here could y'all share some opinions on prices???
(Just keeping it here on the Pistol forum for now, to get some advice on pricing.)

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I'm listing a gun for sale, I will make it a package deal with the factory magazines. I will usually list the holsters in the same ad, with a discount if multiple items in the ad are bought by the same purchaser.

I'll look at GB to set a price. I always include shipping to the FFL with insurance as part of it to make it an easier deal.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I believe it is generally a mistake to make accessories part of a gun sale unless they are clearly optional. Yeah, I am interested in your rifle, but not your crappy scope at any price.

I agree with this. There are so many "things" to buy, too, that the odds of finding somebody that wants your exact setup is pretty slim. This is especially true with holsters I've found.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:

Looking at GUNBROKER and GUNSAMERICA makes me think I have a pretty good idea what to list them for.)
Make sure you are looking at completed auctions and guns that actually sold, and look at what they were priced at when they sold. Not what they are listed at. Lots of guns on GunBroker don’t sell because they’re listed way too high.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that any accessories besides magazines that are sold with guns have very little value. People want that stuff for garage sale prices, they're just not interested in used holsters, etc.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'd be lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for most accessories, even less when bundled with the gun.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't expect to get a reasonable price for accessories, but they may help the gun sell more quickly. The exception is magazines - you should be able to get a good price for mags even when sold with a gun.

In fact, accessories are often worthless to that particular buyer, so listing them separately, if they have sufficient value to make selling them worthwhile is the way to go. Holsters are a great example. You may have a holster that the right person would give you $30 for, but the buyer of your gun isn't likely to be that person. And remember, a speedloader isn't likely to be valuable enough to be worth selling on its own. (Is it worth $10 bucks to list it, pack it up, and ship it on the off chance someone actually buys it?) So throw it in as a sweetener on the sale of the gun.

And like Bigwagon said, the accessories are not likely to be worth anything near what you might like to get. I think he is a wild eyed optimist in guessing 50% of the original price. I bet it is more like 25%.

As for the price of the gun, look at COMPLETED SALES on the auction sights like Gunbroker. Don't look at asking price, that is just what some fool thinks his Bubba-smithed Mosin Nagant is worth. Look at actual selling prices.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post