SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Shield owners step inside.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Shield owners step inside. Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
New to me, my latest acquisition is a Shield in 9mm.

My question is oil or grease on the rails. I have light and medium slide glide and TWB Grease

I own several SIGs and a S&W 659. I use grease on all of them.

Your help deeply appreciated.

Thanks
Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you use on your other guns should work fine on your Shield. I prefer EEZOX.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If this is made like other polymer-framed guns, with four small steel rails at the corners, I think oil - enough to leave a visible film - would be sufficient. Grease is more for full-contact rails on an aluminum frame.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I typically use a small drop of oil on polymer pistols with "tab" type rails like Glocks and the like. A small dab of grease would probably be fine also.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I use Ultima Lube more often than anything else.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't seen to care. I've used anything from Mobil one oil to grease and anything in between. Shoots the same to me.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any decent oil or grease for firearms should be good. I am old school and put a few drops of Miltec 2000 on my guns. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I acquired a Shield in .40 caliber last summer. I use Battle Born grease and a curved plastic syringe to apply sparingly. I've also used this product on other firearms and like it, am satisfied with performance. Good in low temps and little or no odor.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd use oil. What does the manual recommend. If using grease, I like to apply it with a q-tip to put a nice thin layer on evenly.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Grease.
It stays were I put it and the fit isn't tight enough to have to use oil.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
I’m still using the same little tub of RIG grease I’ve had for 30 years. Just takes a tiny bit on each rail.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oil on my 9’s and 45. No issues.

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I clean with CLP everywhere and just do a very light coating of TW-25 grease for the rails. Has worked perfectly with many guns that way for me over the years.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Swordknives
posted Hide Post
I use standard slide glide, just a little bit on the rails, locking surfaces on barrel and slide and thats it. I use a cheap .99 paint brush and a little goes a long way.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Shields, a 9mm and one I converted to.357Sig. I use Lucas Extreme duty Oil. It stays where you put it and lasts a long time. Just my opinion but I think grease is too heavy for a slide moving this fast. But you could try both and pick the one you like the best. I think there is not a wrong answer.

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it slides use grease, if it spins, use oil. That recommendation has served me well for almost 50 years.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I've completely replaced gun oil with gun grease over the past few years. It stays put. A gun lubricated 2 years ago with grease is still perfectly lubricated in the safe. Use gun oil, and two years later, you have an unlubricated gun.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks Everyone

Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post