SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is factory weight of P229 hammer spring?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is factory weight of P229 hammer spring? Login/Join 
posted
What is the factory weight of a P229 hammer spring and what is the lightest/safest I can go? The Wolff hammer spring pack comes in 3 weights. 19 lbs. is re heaviest and 17 the lightest. Which is still be reliable for a defensive pistol and with all types of ammo? Is there a factory SIG reduced hammer spring for a P229? Like a D spring in a Beretta 92FS? Thanks

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
What is the factory weight of a P229 hammer spring ...?

No one knows because the factory doesn’t say.

At one time SIG offered a mainspring marked with yellow paint that was identified as being 18 pounds. It was lighter than the standard spring, and was reportedly used in double action only models. I tried one and found it produced unreliable ignition in a DAO P229. I also tried Wolff mainsprings before switching to DAK pistols, and settled on their 19 pound version for most work. Because I had one suddenly stop doing its job after about 5000 rounds, I made it a practice thereafter to replace them at the 3K mark. The 19 pound springs I used were definitely less powerful than the factory springs.

In my limited experimentation I was not impressed with anything lighter than the 19# Wolff spring. Something to keep in mind is that cartridge primers are not all the same. A spring that will ignite one may not fire the other. Factory mainsprings are made powerful enough with that fact in mind; aftermarket springs are used at the shooter’s own risk. You won’t know what’s reliable with your gun and “all types” of ammo until you’ve tested all types of ammo with your gun and the spring(s) you’re considering.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'll only add one thing. I'm not sure that their spec doesn't change based upon what they get into stock from their supplier. From the items that I have observed since I started paying attention to the strut being smooth, and having a usable spring, there have been some pretty wild variations in weight.

My personal preference is a 17 pound spring with a smooth, clean strut. If you have an SRT installed, this will do a lot to making the gun extremely shootable.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the answer to your questions is "It depends." If you want to be on the super safe side without testing and experimenting, just drop a 19# in.

While Sig does not reveal the Top Secret weight of their mainsprings (hammer springs), you can use Wolff as a reference point. Sig hasn't told him either, but his number is probably close. RP (plastic base) are 17, 18, 19# and his Factory estimate is 21#.

With my Sigs, I've played with with all of the weights. Settled on the 18#. Tested with carry ammo, ball and reloads. Never had any misfires. Be advised that every pistol is different and you have to test it yourself. You should either set up your own replacement cycle and/or test reliability periodically with SD ammo. Especially for a defensive handgun. The unknown is whether or how the spring weight will lessen with time and use as well as how close to the advertised weight it was to begin with.

Generally, factory mainspring weights tend to be overkill. They have no idea what ammo will be used and whether proper maintenance procedures will be followed. I believe GrayGuns uses a 19# mainspring in their kits and action jobs. My own preference is the 18#, since that meets my requirements for DA and SA. I personally don't like the 17#, since it produced an odd "feel" on the DA and produced a SA that was too light for my tastes. Lighter mainsprings will reduce the measured weight of BOTH DA and SA pulls. Again, each gun will give different reliability and slightly different trigger "feels". I'd buy a set of three weights and experiment.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Experimentation is fun I have found. For my 229, I just left it alone as it's a defensive pistol for carry.
I did experiment on a Beretta Brigadier and the results were great once I swapped all kinds of springs in and out. The Beretta is not a defensive pistol and for range use only.
As others have said, you need to have 100% reliability on the rounds you plan to shoot. If anything, it makes you shoot more which is never a bad thing.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, im wondering sometimes how much oversprung are factory hammer springs..and with these ratings is it expected to work forever without changing unlike reduced power srinhs that you need to change every 5k rounds?..will cutting a coil reduce weight of a spring like what some gunsmiths are doing? But what is the approx.weight of one coil?

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, im wondering sometimes how much oversprung are factory hammer springs..and with these ratings is it expected to work forever without changing unlike reduced power srinhs that you need to change every 5k rounds?..will cutting a coil reduce weight of a spring like what some gunsmiths are doing? But what is the approx.weight of one coil?

I wouldn't cut any coils personally but I've read about people who have. If you do, start with one coil. Test it with the ammunition you use and go from there.
To give you an example, I am running a 12# hammer spring and a reduced spring for recoil on my Brigadier. It is light. I also polished a few surfaces gently including the trigger bar. Installed a new trigger return spring also.
I then tested it out with 100 rounds of Blazer and a 100 rounds of Blazer Brass. Not one light strike.
The Brig is not a carry weapon at all and since I have cases of Blazer and B Brass it works for me.
Now, what am I expecting for spring life? I'm not sure. 5K rounds? I kinda doubt that. What about the locking block in Berettas? Light recoil spring damaging it? Have to keep an eye on it. I'm sure some parts will wear out quicker. I knew that going in.
Something to think about.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:

No spring will last forever if you actually use the gun. A good practice that has been recommended to me is to replace the mainspring whenever I replace the recoil spring. It's cheap insurance.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post