SIGforum
So who is happy (or not) with their new Beretta 92X (Full size, Centurion, or Compact)?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1650093564

January 13, 2020, 10:37 AM
Dtech
So who is happy (or not) with their new Beretta 92X (Full size, Centurion, or Compact)?
I have never been a big fan of the Vertec staight back grip frames on the Berettas, but when I recently found out they also provide a second palm swell grip that provides the original Beretta contour to the grip, I have been considering one of the new 92X models, particularly a Centurion G model. Any owners / users out there that can provide their feedback and experiences? I'm even wondering if maybe the straight Vertec grip will actually grow on me if I decide to pursue one of these...

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling
January 13, 2020, 10:42 AM
Batty67
I snagged an excellent condition 1994 Beretta Centurion in 2019 and replaced with super thin WC grips (changed everything), enhanced magazine release, sights (fiber optic front), and put in a Landgon Trigger-job-in-a-bag myself (which was daunting). It is pretty damn sweet.
January 13, 2020, 10:59 AM
DrewR
I purchased a 92X Centurion last year when they first arrived in stores and I couldn’t be happier. The Centurion balances better then even a full size while still filling up the hand. I had been extremely skeptical of the Vertec grip in the past but after buying an M9A3 my eyes were opened to the point that I had been saving for a Vertec WC CenTac until the 92X was announced. In all honesty, I had even put the Vertec CenTac in the shopping cart and partially filled out the order form online but hesitated and I am glad I did because a few days later I received an email from Beretta about their new models.

Beretta put a lot into the 92X that we had been asking for (steel parts, factory installed "D" spring, dovetailed front sight, better grip panels, checkering on the front and back strap. beveled magazine well, oversized magazine release) and a few extras like the recessed target crown and G-kit. Some people wish Beretta had de-horned the underside of the trigger guard and I wish it had come with HD night sights but those seem insignificant in comparison to what you do get so I am very happy.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one and if you like G10 grips and the tradition profile of the old grips then Beretta is now offering wraparound G10 grips for the Vertec framed.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.
January 13, 2020, 02:22 PM
357fuzz
I have been thinking about a 92X or a 92X Centurion. I cannot make up my mind in which one. I find the Vertec frame fits my hand the best.
January 13, 2020, 02:44 PM
Dtech
I have a 25 year old original Centurion bought new and it has always been my favorite of the Beretta pistols I have handled and shot even though I like Berettas in general. Looks like a 92X Centurion just went to the top of my 2020 list, especially with the new Colt Pythons evidently having some issues / concerns.

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling
January 13, 2020, 05:49 PM
Dtech
FYI there are some places out there that have an "email quote" or "add to cart for price" feature offering some really great prices on the 92X models right now if you search around. I would be more specific but don't want any vendors harassed for offering this so I won't post who I used here.

Needless to say, my 2020 92XG 17 round model Centurion is on the way with the deal I found! Cool

To top it off, this is post #4300 for me. Smile

-Dtech

January 13, 2020, 06:13 PM
DrewR
Here is a link to the G10 wraparound grips I mentioned earlier:

https://www.berettausa.com/en-...m9a3-vertec/eu00083/

And here is a link to VZ’s Vertec page:

https://vzgrips.com/platforms/...s/beretta-92/vertec/

I can’t recommend a set G10 grips enough for a 92-series pistol.

January 13, 2020, 07:00 PM
BMR
I've been very happy with my 92FS Compact that I purchased this past summer. I installed the D spring and the G decocker kit and it shoots great with everything I've shot in it.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz
January 14, 2020, 05:30 AM
limblessbiff
Which factory are these being made and you guys notice any issues? The last few times I’ve looked at berettas in the store I’ve found uneven slide rails or machine marks or finish wear inside the dust cover where the slide rubs against. Not every gun, but enough of them to put me off getting one until Beretta gets their act together. I’m not digging Beretta btw, I love 92 series and want one pretty bad
January 14, 2020, 05:58 AM
YooperSigs
Carried a Compact for a couple years off duty. Outstanding shooter and totally reliable. This was before the advent of dovetail front sights and this was one reason I eventually sold it.
Kinda have the itch now for an Inox Compact.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
January 14, 2020, 08:17 AM
DrewR
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Which factory are these being made and you guys notice any issues? The last few times I’ve looked at berettas in the store I’ve found uneven slide rails or machine marks or finish wear inside the dust cover where the slide rubs against. Not every gun, but enough of them to put me off getting one until Beretta gets their act together. I’m not digging Beretta btw, I love 92 series and want one pretty bad

The 92X is assembled in the Tennessee plant which has had some history of QC issues and a few members of the Beretta Forum have found issues with their new 92X pistols but they seem to be in the minority with most of us happy with what we received. I went over my Centurion before actually accepting the pistol and I could find nothing to complain about, even the barrel lined up straight with slide. I think the Tennessee plant is making progress with sorting out some of their issues.

January 14, 2020, 09:35 AM
Dtech
Agree with the presence of mostly cosmetic QC issues from the past year or two. From the different 92 models I inspected during that time (including an LTT), I did notice some unnecessary use of blemished controls and other minor fit and finish issues (but enough to discourage a discerning buyer) so hopefully those were just settling in concerns with the new plant and processes there. I will be inspecting the one I receive thoroughly before accepting the transfer for sure though.

-Dtech

January 17, 2020, 08:26 AM
sakata8242
Bought a 92X Centurion a couple months ago. Went in knowing I hate the Vertec grip but the 92Xs come with a second set of grips that restore the original palm swell. Beretta also sells a higher end set of grips that does the same thing.

Agree with previous comments that the Centurion balances better (for me) in hand than the full size.

My sample's barrel to slide alignment is a bit off. The slide to frame fit is a little loose. The rear sight is impossible to move with a sight pusher (I ended up compensating by moving the front sight instead). All that being said, it shoots great and shoots (after the sight adjustment) point of aim. Out of all 3 sizes that the 92 comes in, I like the Centurion the best and I shoot it the best.

I would like to put a different set of sights on it but I'm going to need a vise or a press to remove that rear sight. This is something I've noticed in all of my 92s - the rear sight will not budge despite using a proper sight pusher tool.
February 01, 2020, 05:35 AM
sprg03-A3
This doesn't quite fit your question but I bought a 92X Performance about a week ago, made in Italy, and the fit and finish is exquisite! It is a hell of a shooter although I did experience probably my first non ammo Beretta 92 stoppage during my first range trip with it in over 25 years.

This pistol is only my 2nd Vertec pistol, the first being an Elite 1A I sold about 15 years ago. I did much better with the Vertec pistol than I thought I might, the only issue being that I had to concentrate on not dipping the front end when pulling the trigger. I found the grip to be fatter than my LTT which is a bit too thin for me personally.

Also, I find that the Centurian balances more neutrally than the front heavy standard pistol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sprg03-A3,
February 01, 2020, 05:22 PM
ceptor781
Heads up that the 92X has a $100 rebate starting today. Also Locked & Loaded has them on sale. Do the “Email for Price” for a great deal.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
February 01, 2020, 07:14 PM
Spiff_P239
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
Heads up that the 92X has a $100 rebate starting today. Also Locked & Loaded has them on sale. Do the “Email for Price” for a great deal.

I’ve kinda missed having a metal, hammer fired pistol lately so I busted out the credit card and ordered 2 G-model Centurions at $499.50 each before the rebate. Couldn’t help it at that price.

Quick question for those that have a 92X, does it come with a steel trigger?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spiff_P239,
February 02, 2020, 08:34 AM
bryanZ06
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:

Thanks for that link. I put myself on the list for the 92X Competition. The only ones I've found in stock so far are priced at MSRP+. Between that price and the rebate, that would be an awesome deal.
February 02, 2020, 12:04 PM
Dtech
Fortunately my order was delayed and I didn't actually pick up my pistol until yesterday 2/1. You can use a copy of your dated receipt or the 4473 Form as proof of purchase and all my transfer paperwork including the receipt and 4473 is dated yesterday so I really lucked out on the timing of the rebate!

Yes, the 92X comes with the steel trigger and saftey/decocker levers. It is interesting though that my G model 92X Centurion came with the LTT style right side lever as opposed to the traditional Beretta style lever. I have to say that I wasn't sure about it before, but the straight back Vertec grip frame is starting to grow on me and is actually feeling pretty good in the hand. Going to shoot it this way first to see if it feels and points good during use as opposed to using the additional more transitional Beretta palm swell grip also included along with the three 17 round magazines.

bryanZ06...unfortunately it doesn't look like the 92X Performance model is included in the rebate in the fine print.

-Dtech

February 02, 2020, 12:13 PM
I had a Vertec before and didn't like it. So, I'm glad Beretta includes the extra set of grips to simulate the original feel and doesn't make us fork out extra cash. Are the extra grips G10 or plastic?

Q

February 02, 2020, 12:22 PM
Dtech
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I had a Vertec before and didn't like it. So, I'm glad Beretta includes the extra set of grips to simulate the original feel and doesn't make us fork out extra cash. Are the extra grips G10 or plastic?

The extra wrap around grip is not G10 and does not have any markings inside as having been made by someone else for Beretta. It is the same material and texture plastic as the individual side panels that already come on the pistol. The material seems a little different than legacy Beretta grips and I really like the feel and texture of them. More matte and definitely provides more grippy friction when holding the pistol as compared to the traditional Beretta plastic grip panels. It is a nice touch that they also include extra grips screws and washers in a small plastic bag.

I haven't seen them for the price Spiff mentioned in their post, but Locked and Loaded does have the FS and G Centurions listed for "Add to Cart" sale prices of $589 and $599 $579 respectively (the prices just refreshed when I double checked them). A great price if you were ever seriously considering buying one, especially with the rebate going on.

The trigger on mine feels fantastic in both DA and SA. Very smooth and very crisp break. My trigger pull scale is packed up and not able to get to it at the moment but my "trigger finger scale" vs. other pistols is telling me the SA is likely around 3.5 to 4 lbs. and the DA between 7 and 8 lbs.

Also wanted to mention that the QC on my pistol was much better than some of the prior non-X model 92s I've looked at in the past couple of years, even one LTT in particular. The controls and most everything on the pistol were made and put together well. Snug slide to frame fit, prefect barrel alignment in the slide, and the signature Beretta silky smooth slide action. If I wanted to nit pick one thing it would be one minor little line in the machining of the bottom of the rail flat surface but the black finish is still 100% and nothing worth rejecting the pistol over. It is going to be a shooter after all and the rail is possibly going to get some use as well anyway.

-Dtech