SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me 320 info
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me 320 info Login/Join 
posted
Hey all. Just got a call from Sig. That was a first. I haven't read this particular piece of info before but if I'm jib jabbing feel free to delete or close.

I sent in my last 320, a sub compact. I stippled it. They called to tell me that they had to replace it because the sub compact grip modules are different than the originals. Apparently there isn't much of a difference but he mentioned that the beavertail area is different and all the old sub compact modules are useless (his words) with a modified fcu. I didn't know this or I would have sent the sub compact grip modules that I own to be replaced. As it is they are sending me a mailing label to have my extra grip mods in sub compact replaced.

I might have gotten the details wrong but I came away with the understanding that it is a whole new grip module mold vice a modification of existing grip mod.

That is all.

Edited to add: The Compact, Carry, and Fullsize grip modules haven't changed and aren't modified. Not really sure I understand this without seeing it in person but when I get it back I will post pictures. Considering they were working on it today I expect to get it back pretty soon, which isn't bad considering I sent it on Wednesday.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I sent in my last 320, a sub compact. I stippled it. They called to tell me that they had to replace it because the sub compact grip modules are different than the originals. Apparently there isn't much of a difference but he mentioned that the beavertail area is different and all the old sub compact modules are useless (his words) with a modified fcu. I didn't know this or I would have sent the sub compact grip modules that I own to be replaced. As it is they are sending me a mailing label to have my extra grip mods in sub compact replaced.

This is interesting. I sent in a subcompact as well and have had no movement in 6 weeks. Did they state that they had the new modules ink stock or that were they waiting on them to be made?

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
When I called Sig asking if all was going okay with my Subcompact since it was taking longer than my Compact took, the CS Rep said they were waiting for new small Subcompact Grip Modules.

A change was made in the beaver tail area of the small (non-rail) Subcompact Grip Modules.

The CS Rep and I did not talk about the medium (with rail) Subcompact Grip Modules.

This photo is my holding the new "beaver tail" grip module in front of a photo of the old "rounded tail" grip module.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
So if one wanted to purchase a subcompact grip module for their upgraded compact pistol, they'd need to insure that they get the upgraded subcompact grip module or it won't work? Geez, it's hard enough to find grip modules and/or caliber exchange kits. But maybe SIG will ramp up their production once the upgrades are complete.

Wonder what changed specific to the subcompact fcu to require this?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I think it would make sense, if you have multiple sized grip modules, to send your 320 in for repair wearing the sub-compact one so you get a new one in the deal.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I like the added beaver tail for the SC grips, the little lump on the back didn’t help my grip. However the idea that there are SC only FCUs after the upgrade is ridiculous. In the two I’ve received back there has been no issue putting them into SC grip shells while using a compact top end.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ceptor is right. When I got back my first two fcu’s I put one in a compact grip module and one in my nicely stippled sub compact grip module.

He was very adamant, nice but adamant, about returning the old modules. He clearly stated and reiterated in his email that they were sending me 3 new SC modules to replace the ones I have bought but that they want the old ones back.

But yes it worked fine in the old module.

I am now officially scratching my head.

When they changed the mold I wonder why they didn’t change to the gen2 standard molding for the slide release.

I also wonder if this is a longevity issue. The only real difference I can see is that there is a whole lot less material behind the fcu in the SC modules compared to the others. I gotta think they aren't changing out parts just to be nice.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
It’s a mystery. I sure would like to know more. Why wouldn’t Sig explain this?

Not to derail the thread, but I’m a P250 owner... I’d like to know if the new SC grip modules will still fit the P250 FCU.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

I have two sub compact grip modules and will be calling SIG for the rework on the FCU after the holidays. Will ask about this then.

Thanks again.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked more info myself. What the CS supervisor told me was that the new molds with beavertail was strictly done so that the testing for all three sizes could be done in exactly the same manner. He indicated that by having a separate grip shape it forced Sig to basically double their testing methodology.

He said the old ones weren't unsafe per se but that sthe new ones had passed the new protocol.