Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lubrication Login/Join 
posted
Sometime in the last couple of years, Sig gravitated to all Lucas products for lubrication. I use Lucas in automotive engines and have for some time; I use the Lucas grease on my firearms, too (not just Sig).

I got an email today advising that Sig has a new line of products, the "Speci" line, which I'm now told is the only product that Sig recommends on their firearms.

Funny. Up until now, they could only recommend Lucas, for their firearms.

Flavor of the day.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Whoever pays more to peddle their products...I guess.

I'm actually surprised it wasn't SIG Sauer branded lube/grease. You know, The Complete Systems Provider. Wink

Q

Posts: 26192 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
spec 1

Looks a lot like the small break free clp bottles. I wonder what it is made of. I would like to see an msds sheet.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/parts/maintenance.html

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well I'm two greases behind, I'm still using the outdated TW25b that they use to recommend.

Hopefully my gun doesn't have some kind of catastrophic failure due to my substandard grease.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep its like Harley oil, for years HD has pushed it's lubricants line, and many service managers would threaten folks with loss of warranty if HD oil wasn't used, that of course is a violation of federal law,

HD oil Syn3 and Dyno is made by Citgo, HD doesn't have its own oil refinery, same for any other manufacturing company, and its a bid contract, as long as the supplier meets or exceeds specs, it's a cost (profit) deal

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I'm actually surprised it wasn't SIG Sauer branded lube/grease. You know, The Complete Systems Provider. Wink

Like getting the goodies bag after a visit to the dentist.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall the tiny tube of TW25 that came with your pistol. Now I look forward to a small jug of this stuff.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still use TW25 quite a bit. I've been using the Lucas products, and I like the Wilson lubes, too. The thinner lucas with the needle tip applicator is handy for some spots like pins, when doing a quick clean or for adding a bit of lube during an extended range session.

It's annoying for Sig to say "it's the only thing we can recommend," because it destroys any credibility in their recommendations and turns them into mealy mouthed marketeers.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also still use TW25 and EWG. Got a bottle of Hurley's gold that I also like. Need to buy some more but don't remember where I purchased it.

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Yep its like Harley oil, for years HD has pushed it's lubricants line, and many service managers would threaten folks with loss of warranty if HD oil wasn't used, that of course is a violation of federal law,

HD oil Syn3 and Dyno is made by Citgo, HD doesn't have its own oil refinery, same for any other manufacturing company, and its a bid contract, as long as the supplier meets or exceeds specs, it's a cost (profit) deal

Well yes and no. Caterpillar, MAN and Cummins all use oil made by Mobil. However, there are different additives in the oil as spec'ed by the engine manufacturer. It probably wouldn't hurt a darn thing to have mobil branded oil.....or another diesel rated brand in the engine one bit.

In regards to SIG, yes they are probably just using that to sell whichever grease (their own labeled now) they make money on...….as they've switched recommendations a few times.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Still using Mobil 1 synthetic ball bearing grease which you can find at your local auto parts store for $10-11 for a 1 lb tub. Same fun for ten years and I use it on all firearms. Hasn’t failed once.

Love the snake oil peddling. Makes me laugh.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12558 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You hear lots of stories about many different brands and how guns have lasted many thousands of rounds with little visible wear.
So who's right? Probably many of them.
I suspect the lube requirements are met and exceeded by a number of common automotive lubricants, special magic gun lubes and home brew blends.
I'm sure there are a few wrong answers too but the truth is that gun lube isn't rocket science. Most of the really expensive stuff is marketing, paid endorsements and profit.
Someone that really wants to know bad enough could get some of their favorite product and send it to a testing lab and easily reverse engineer the stuff.

Posts: 9446 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
You hear lots of stories about many different brands and how guns have lasted many thousands of rounds with little visible wear.
So who's right? Probably many of them.
I suspect the lube requirements are met and exceeded by a number of common automotive lubricants, special magic gun lubes and home brew blends.
I'm sure there are a few wrong answers too but the truth is that gun lube isn't rocket science. Most of the really expensive stuff is marketing, paid endorsements and profit.
Someone that really wants to know bad enough could get some of their favorite product and send it to a testing lab and easily reverse engineer the stuff.

I believe this true. Taking a pistol that is totally dry to the range one time, probably does more wear than 10,000 rounds on a properly lubed/wet pistol with most any OTC gun oil/ight grease.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somehow I doubt they've created their own facilities to process/manufacture lubricants. So they probably worked an agreement to slap their labels on an existing product. Compare the bottles and syringes and you might be able to figure it out.

ETA: yup, its Slip2000
https://www.sigsauer.com/press...arm-cleaning-system/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BuddyChryst,

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1858 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

^^This^^
We tend to overthink lube because we have a lot of emotional investment in the guns we carry. They are important to us because of the 'what if the SHTF' mindset.
Truth is, everything from bacon grease to the mostest high techiest lube would work just fine as long as it was recently applied and mostly clean-ish.
(as long as it isn't a Tetra product. That shit belongs in the trash can where all mine went)

We overthink and overbuy a lot of this stuff when in reality, just about any of it works as well as any other lube.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If SIG fans weren't so obsessed with those aluminum frame rails, the gun lube market would have crashed. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26192 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
We overthink and overbuy a lot of this stuff...

I definitely agree w/ this after reading the 'lapping compound' thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6200005644/p/1

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Robert Burke suggests, and included a 3oz tube of Super Lube Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease (21030), when he returned a recent action job. It is NLGI #2. I've been using it ever since wherever grease is indicated (slide and frame rails and a few other friction points). So far, I love it. It remains clean, lasts a long time, and provides great friction resistance. I bought the 14oz can (41160), which will probably last me all of my life. The Technical Data Sheet and MSDS are linked from that page.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I use aviation grease, been using it for over 15 yrs.

Posts: 5297 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

^^^^
This.

I love Sig Sauer, but stuff like this gives the company a smarmy, Vegas-y, carpetbagger, elixir salesman kind of vibe.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post