SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sit p226 LR question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sit p226 LR question Login/Join 
posted
I own p350 9 mm pistol. Would like get a sig in 22 LR cal. Since there is no 22 cal for p350 pistol, would p226 22LR be good choice to use for practice?

Posts: 7 | Location: florida | Registered: December 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean a P320, as there is no P350.

A P226 would be close to the same size, but it will be very different, since it's a hammer-fired DA/SA gun, and your P320 is a striker-fired gun.

A Browning Buckmark or a Ruger 22/45 would be closer in the feel of the trigger pull, but they are different in size and feel.

You could look for a P250 in .22LR. It is still different in that it's a hammer-fired DAO, but it's the same size and the grip module would be interchangeable with your P320. If Sig gets around to making .22 conversions for the P320, the magazine(s) from a P250 would likely also work.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put the 22LR slide on my 229 (set up for .40)

I was told a "hot load" would help it cycle, but I have not found that load yet. I have tried many and it still cycles with issues.

Just a heads up.

Sig P229 - .40
Sig M11-A1 - 9MM
Sig 938 - 9MM
Dan Wesson CCO
Wilson ADP

Posts: 68 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: March 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am new at posting and hit the wrong button about
reporting the post...Yes I have p320...thanks for
the info and suggestion about p250...will check it out.

Posts: 7 | Location: florida | Registered: December 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P250 gets you the same style grip which is very useful. I think the second choice would be another striker fired poly pistol like a Glock with .22 conversion kit. Not the same grip, but similar trigger at least compared to choosing a 226. Although if you go to DAK on the 226 that's more similar than the DA/SA version.
For the record I really like the 226 .22lr but I am a 226 fan and I have no issues making mine run provided I use the correct ammo. Thousands of rounds. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
FWIW, CDNN has a P250C in .22LR on sale for $280 right now.

http://us2.campaign-archive1.c...49f95ad&e=13772b5afe

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy:
I put the 22LR slide on my 229 (set up for .40)

I was told a "hot load" would help it cycle, but I have not found that load yet. I have tried many and it still cycles with issues.

Just a heads up.

I've had great luck with either minimags or Blazer high velocity (40 grain rounds at 1245 or thereabouts - newer ones seem to be a pinch slower, 1235 or so).

Did you read the "manual"? Yes, that folded up sheet of paper. They recommend OIL, not grease on the rails. This makes a big difference in how well it will cycle.

Posts: 6867 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rules for .22 LR conversion units:

1) Start with CCI MiniMag HV ammo. The gold standard. Usually, if a gun doesn't run with MiniMags, there is a problem other than ammo selection. Then, after break-in, try other ammo. You might get lucky with some less expensive stuff.

2) Most units require a break-in period. Don't pass out if you have some malfunctions during your first one or two range trips.

3) Clean, inspect and lube after EVERY range session. The .22 is a low powered round with very little margin for error. If the slide is slowed due to grunge, you'll have problems. Do NOT use grease on the rails.

4) If having problems after the above, inspect every contact part of the slide for burrs or irregularities. Or, before you use the unit.

Conversions are generally less reliable than dedicated .22's. This is due to the design restraints. The frame is designed for a centerfire and the conversion slide must be designed to operate within those parameters.

Regardless, I'm a firm believer in the value of at least one conversion unit. They're fun and a good training aid.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JAFO...thanks for your suggestions and help. I placed my order with CDNN yesterday for the p250c
22...looking forwward to shooting it.

posted Hide Post
You can take Nipper's comments to the bank.
Well done & said:
quote:
Rules for .22 LR conversion units:

1) Start with CCI MiniMag HV ammo. The gold standard. Usually, if a gun doesn't run with MiniMags, there is a problem other than ammo selection. Then, after break-in, try other ammo. You might get lucky with some less expensive stuff.

2) Most units require a break-in period. Don't pass out if you have some malfunctions during your first one or two range trips.

3) Clean, inspect and lube after EVERY range session. The .22 is a low powered round with very little margin for error. If the slide is slowed due to grunge, you'll have problems. Do NOT use grease on the rails.

4) If having problems after the above, inspect every contact part of the slide for burrs or irregularities. Or, before you use the unit.

Conversions are generally less reliable than dedicated .22's. This is due to the design restraints. The frame is designed for a centerfire and the conversion slide must be designed to operate within those parameters.

Regardless, I'm a firm believer in the value of at least one conversion unit. They're fun and a good training aid.

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post