SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has anyone looked into the Sig P250-22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone looked into the Sig P250-22 Login/Join 
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted
I was looking through a Sig Catalog I picked up at the NRA convention and found the Sig P250-22lr.

Until then I had never heard to it; it appears to be a fully 22lr pistol.

Anyone know anything about it?

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, I looked into it a few months ago, as a companion to my P320s.

The fact that Sig has discontinued all the P250s other than this .22 version gave me pause. Then I read that it did not hold the slide open on the last round, which seems like a big no-no for a .22 since they're not supposed to be dry-fired.

So I decided to pass on it. When/if Sig ever comes out with a P320-22, I may give that a shot.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by it being a "fully .22LR pistol", but the P250-.22 has a standard P250 grip and Fire Control Unit, paired with a .22 slide assembly and magazine. Using that grip and FCU, you can swap the .22 slide and magazine for any of the other P250 caliber exchange kits.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize you could swap FCU's like that; I was under the impression it was a 22 and that was all.

Thanks

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of geektoad
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, and will no doubt be corrected if I am, but my understanding is that the reason the P250-22 is still in the Sig catalog is because they will not be making a .22lr 320. Given that the 250/320 are the same frame (therefore pretty much the same for training though one is hammer fired and the other striker fired), there isn't much point in engineering a striker fired slide to call it a 320.

Posts: 95 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There has been no talk of a P320-22 anytime soon, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

The main benefits to producing a P320-22 is to allow it to be interchangeable with other P320 caliber kits (like the P250-22 is with P250 kits), as well as to have a similar trigger pull for training purposes. The P250's long DAO trigger pull and long reset is different from the P320's shorter trigger pull and short reset.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A P320-22 would be fairly revolutionary.

I am only aware of two striker-fired .22 pistols - the Beretta Neos and an after-market Glock conversion.

Several popular striker-fired guns -such as the M&P and PPQ- have .22 versions that are actually hammer-fired.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
which seems like a big no-no for a .22 since they're not supposed to be dry-fired.

Supposedly the 22 adapter is safe to dry fire as the firing pin cannot make contact with metal at its full extension.

One thing to be careful of if you do use CF ammo, the slide lock lever will need the heftier flat coil spring and button and not the thin wire coil spring that comes with the 22. Otherwise your slide will be locking up before the mag is empty as the release bounces with recoil impulse.

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
A P320-22 would be fairly revolutionary.

I am only aware of two striker-fired .22 pistols - the Beretta Neos and an after-market Glock conversion.

Several popular striker-fired guns -such as the M&P and PPQ- have .22 versions that are actually hammer-fired.

I'm not sure if "revolutionary" is a good descriptor. As demonstrated by the other striker-fired .22s you've mentioned, it's been done before. It's just that a hammer-fired .22 is cheaper/easier to make.

It's also possible that a hammer-fired system could conceivably result in better reliability with rimfire ammo than a striker. But even if that's true, the Neo and the Glock conversions are proof that a reliable striker .22 can be made.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
One way or the other, I really wish SIG would go ahead and start making .22s and mags that lock back the slide after the last shot. I know mags have been made that work for the 220 conversion, but I'd really like the factory to address that.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I have one and fired it for the first time last weekend. Ran fine with CCI Mini-Mags.

The slide does not lock back on the last round.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post