SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Captain Obvious Speaks
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain Obvious Speaks Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
"RT, I lost my virginity to your daughter for crying out loud. Rob, you were there."
Big Grin

Lol, I need to watch that again.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
In fact, I’m hard pressed to think of many self defense situations where a 50yard engagement distance is remotely practical. Many courts would certainly consider the distance of the encounter when ruling whether or not the victim was truly in fear of imminent harm or danger
0 yards, not so much.

How about in defense of another? Wink

Citizen shoots trailer park gunman, saves Texas officer
Distance? ~ 150 feet. That's 50 yds.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Honestly, if you started a train wreck OP, would you come back? Wink

I've done it, you were there. I can sympathize with the wish that people would just stop bumping it and that it would go away. Luckily for Fredward, this one isn't a major doozy, it's just funny. Big Grin
Well now, he generally has fun posts to read and is a good Member. Some of what his post said probably has good intentions. I took it as encouraging others to shoot more with stock weapons and become as proficient as we can. Knowing that can be a real challenge with some side arms. Just my thoughts.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Oh, I get the heart of his point, and I don't think it's without merit. I think his phrasing was perhaps a bit enthusiastic, which led to a bit of an "Oh really?" response that he maybe didn't expect.

Had he simply said "Practice will benefit you more than gadgets" he would've had a cacophony of agreement. Instead, the threw the gauntlet down, and some saw fit to pick it up and slap him with it. Big Grin

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
OK. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Fredward stimulated a lot of discussion, and stepped on a few hemorrhoids in the process.

I see what he was sayin', and no one was required to take offense, or defend their own proclivities, or even follow the thread. I'm sure lots of Sigforumites read the OP and opted out, because they didn't feel personally insulted.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Fredward stimulated a lot of discussion, and stepped on a few hemorrhoids in the process.

I see what he was sayin', and no one was required to take offense, or defend their own proclivities, or even follow the thread. I'm sure lots of Sigforumites read the OP and opted out, because they didn't feel personally insulted.

A lot of topics can be broached without being a jerk. Dang near any topic really.

He could have started a thread and left out the "lifes a bitch honey" and all the other snarky content. Then he wouldn't have gotten any return fire.

Let us not conflate the topic, with the delivery.

So, no RichardC, you're wrong about this. He posted a topic that was purposefully incendiary in tone, and hasn't seen fit to respond in any way, so people are going to make assumptions.

There is certainly something to be said for getting a basic "bone stock" pistol, and spending the money on ammunition and training. Of course this is a valid point. People aren't offended by this, because it is demonstrably true.

One can state that, and skip the part where there is talking down to people who buy expensive pistols or modifications.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Capt Obvious, you still with us? Fredward hasn't posted since this thread.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post