SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Captain Obvious Speaks
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain Obvious Speaks Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
I think he's referring to people that can't hit a barn but want to brag about all the cool gun stuff they have. I feel the same way listening to people brag about their top-of-the-line photo equipment but don't know how to take decent or interesting photos. But pro-photographers have developed the necessary skills to back up and justify their need for expensive and specialized equipment, as opposed to the hapless newbie.

Funny you should mention that.

There was recently a thread on this very topic posted over at a popular photography forum. Some respondents suggested unskilled photographers need all the help they can get, so good equipment is every bit as important for their use as for that of skilled photographers.

I've repeatedly had the same discussion with one of my (recently departed) best friends, regarding power tools. He felt it a waste of money for amateur craftsmen or weekend warriors to spend good money on top-grade tools. I would rather spend my hard-earned money of pro-grade, or at least prosumer-grade tools, because I have an appreciation for well-made tools.

Captain Oblivious is still MIA, this thead's OP having been his last post, btw.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
"Captain Oblivious is still MIA, this thead's OP having been his last post, btw."

I'm thinking maybe he shot himself in the foot... Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't read too much into Fredward's post. We all have opinions and he has always struck me as a level-headed good guy.

Now, about those pink ivory grips, anyone know a custom grip maker in the US that can make them?

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP is presumptuous. Why do you think this is "news to me"?

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't read too much into Fredward's post. We all have opinions and he has always struck me as a level-headed good guy

I agree. We all have our days. This has not been a consistent pattern with his posts.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"What do we call that again? Wait, I think I remember. Is that a troll?"

13,676 posts makes for quite the Troll!

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We all have our days.

I have been known to occasionally write or speak things that didn't come out quite right.

It's a very rare occurrence. Mind-numbingly sparse. Astoundingly limited instances.

Yeah, I know. Weird, huh! Razz

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
...trigger pull weights, customized pistols, barrel weights, RMX sights, etc,

Chief of Police- ".458 magnum, huh? ...this thing will stop an elephant"

Harry Callahan- "yeah"

Chief of Police- "Apparently you like a little edge"

Harry Callahan- "All I can get sir"

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my two cents...you don't have to be a great shot to appreciate quality and craftsmanship.

i do not possess sufficient shooting skill to do any better with an x6 over an x5 or a factory 226 vs one with a fancy guide rod installed or whatever other minute differences. This does not mean i have no interest in an x6 or a nice solid guide rod (trying to cover the spectrum of mods).

but i sure notice a quality slide to frame fit or a trigger someone took some time to work the creep out of. Or a nice finish, or nice machining, etc.

i may not be a great shot but i know and appreciate quality. appreciating it even if i can't make the most of it still seems OK to me

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
"Captain Oblivious is still MIA, this thead's OP having been his last post, btw."

I'm thinking maybe he shot himself in the foot... Razz

I know. I keep checking to see if Capt. Obvious has checked back. He's probably just busy making a ragged hole in the X at fifty yards.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
He’s probably too busy consistently hitting 2 inch groups at 500 yards with a seecamp 32 to post in his thread.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Honestly, if you started a train wreck OP, would you come back? Wink

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I agree with jehzsa that Fredward is a level headed good guy. We all have our days. "Captain Obvious" was not Fredward at his best. And what is "feminine" about pink ivory grips anyway, huh?

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And what is "feminine" about pink ivory grips anyway, huh?

It works like yin and yang. The famous Chinese comedic duo.

It lets my feminine side come through, shine through. Mainly because I carry as a fashion statement and it balances Mr. Yang with Ms. Yin.

That balance allows me to shoot the X-ring out at 150 yards. Smile

ETA: Sorry. Meant to write "150 cm" instead of "150 yards". Big Grin

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I wouldn't read too much into Fredward's post. We all have opinions and he has always struck me as a level-headed good guy

I agree. We all have our days. This has not been a consistent pattern with his posts.

Consistent? Dunno. But he certainly had his opinions about health and fitness, about which he was not at all shy to express in one of my threads.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fredward, are you OK?

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I've done it, you were there. I can sympathize with the wish that people would just stop bumping it and that it would go away. Luckily for Fredward, this one isn't a major doozy, it's just funny. Big Grin

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I've done it, you were there.

Reminds me of that line from Tommy Boy.

"RT, I lost my virginity to your daughter for crying out loud. Rob, you were there."
Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
In fact, I’m hard pressed to think of many self defense situations where a 50yard engagement distance is remotely practical. Many courts would certainly consider the distance of the encounter when ruling whether or not the victim was truly in fear of imminent harm or danger
0 yards, not so much.

Statistically rare, but having experience at longer distances would be useful against a rifle/shotgun wielding threat.

Posts: 9962 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
In fact, I’m hard pressed to think of many self defense situations where a 50yard engagement distance is remotely practical. Many courts would certainly consider the distance of the encounter when ruling whether or not the victim was truly in fear of imminent harm or danger
0 yards, not so much.

Statistically rare, but having experience at longer distances would be useful against a rifle/shotgun wielding threat.

AND it completely misses the fact that in free states, if deadly force is justified, it matters not if you are at 3 feet or 300. The interwebz prides itself on turning up its nose at distance shooting as a defensive skill, but there is NO legal basis or caselaw behind it. It's all ifs and buts. The mentality really reminds me of cops who think that are pulling up on a scene and someone is in front of their car and shooting at them, that they have to get out of the car and shoot back, instead of simply just running them over. Deadly force, is deadly force, is deadly force. If it is justified, it doesn't matter if it is at 3 foot or 300, from a .40 caliber or by Dodge Charger.

www.opspectraining.com