SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol dilemna
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol dilemna Login/Join 
Picture of ldg397
posted
Looking to streamline my inventory of auto pistols.

I have the following:
P228 west German
Glock 19 with Austrian proofs
Glock 43
P220 sas compact w/ sig aep
Kimber pro tactical aluminum frame
Hk P30 9mm

I usually keep the glock beside the bed and don't really want to sell because of the Austrian proof marks. Sig p228 is a safe queen and 220 compact is very accurate but kind of large vs its capacity.

Thinking of selling a few and going with a p320 45 or 9. I like the idea of being able to change up the configuration for range/farm and concealed.

Least likely to sell would be the glock 19 and the kimber. Also the 43 got next to nothing in it so makes a good truck gun. What would you keep and what would you buy to supplement or replace.

Posts: 84 | Location: College Station, TX | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just started that process myself and decided if I didn't use it for home protection or unlikely to carry I would start there. So, I dug to the back of the safe and started. I bet I regret that someday but my kids need stuff....

Posts: 193 | Registered: February 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I'm going to thin down as well. I have a Gen 4 G19 that I like to shoot more than the others. I carry an XDS9.

I can see myself going to just these 2 and being happy. One caliber, easy reloading.

I dabbled with HK, and SIG but I just accepted the fact that I can:

Shoot the G19 the best
Work on the G19 the easiest
And always have a plethora of parts, accessories, and holsters available.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I'd keep everything you are able to unless you either don't shoot some of them well or can't do it financially. As far as additions I'd go with either a Beretta 92 or maybe a good ol fashioned wheel gun like a Ruger GP 100 or similar.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I've always been a shoot it if I own it kinda guy. Do you really need a safe queen? You could always send me that P228, my safe has room. If you're thinking that P220 is not the right ratio to size/weight/capacity, then just go ahead and send it along too. Big Grin

You can keep your Glock. Wink

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
I'd get rid of everything except the P228 and the HK. I'd pick up a few more HKs and have common mags/parts. The P228,...just let it be.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you haven't shot them in, say two years, you won't miss them.

Personally I don't mind having range-only pistols. Frankly, they all are range only except my EDC and my car-carry (I don't "rotate" carry). For serious use, I have no need for a single stack. So I'd drop the Kimber then the P220 then the G43. G43 last only because you have the G19 to go with it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Could be wrong, but here are a few thoughts...

P228 West German............................Not too many of these around.
Glock 19 with Austrian proofs..............You may never find another.
Glock 43...........................................Great to have, easy to replace.
P220 SAS compact w/ Sig AEP.............Somewhat rare, but the P320 can also be a 45...
Kimber pro tactical aluminum frame.....You know you want to trade it for a Custom Eclipse in 10mm, right?
Hk P30 9mm.....................................Kinda does the same thing as the P320 X-Five you are shopping for.

Anything I may suggest afterwards would be a range toy, because a Desert Eagle doesn't make a good carry piece...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Didn't know Austrian proof glocks were that rare.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ldg397
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I'd keep everything you are able to unless you either don't shoot some of them well or can't do it financially. As far as additions I'd go with either a Beretta 92 or maybe a good ol fashioned wheel gun like a Ruger GP 100 or similar.

I already have several wheel guns I only listed the autos. I won't part with all my no lock smiths
442 no lock
Mid 80's 686 combat magnum 4"
No lock 640

Posts: 84 | Location: College Station, TX | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my mind, I would keep the P228, G19 & 43, and sell the others. Then I would buy a P320 in 9mm, as that keeps you streamlined on a single cartridge with the others.

Posts: 66 | Registered: October 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Based on what you've said, and for functional purposes , not collector value, keep the Glocks, sell of everything else. Buy more Glocks to fill any roles that your current pair don't cover.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have no problem consolidating behind the 320. Now that the frame sizes are becoming available it makes more sense. I have read/heard that if you want to have 45 to 9/40/357 compatibility you have to start with the 45 FCU. The 9 FCU won't work in a 45 module but the 45 will work in the 9 module but you lose the "safety" of the mag has to be removed to enable takedown. Or so I have read. Sig can't advertise it as such because of liability, hopefully someone with both can chime in.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ldg397
posted Hide Post
Good advice. I think I will start with selling the p30 I haven't had it very long. Keep the 19 and 43. Will also keep the kimber because it was a gift on my first Father's Day.

Start with a p320 45 to see if it can replace my 220 compact. If it can sell it and possibly get a p320 9. Then decide on 228 but will keep it until last.

posted Hide Post
Use Texas Gun Trader and make a face to face sale in B-CS with a friend as a backup. I sold several very quickly that way.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing recently. I went down to a P220, P229 and a Shield for carry.
I guess it depends on what you want to keep.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
keep the 19 and 43 sell the rest and just shoot those. I love different guns but I always go back to just one as my main fun / weapon to shoot. I have the majority of the calibers but they don't get much ranges time. the 19 has been my go to.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You asked, dump them all and buy a couple of steel guns. A good 1911 and a Sig 220 all stainless.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, my 320 is all steel.

On the serialized part that matters at least. Seriously though I think that advice is flawed. I would argue that the 320 has more long term durability than either of your all steel choices. The FCU is all steel and every other part is replaceable. If you and I go to the range and our gun gets dropped in the gravel I can replace every damaged exterior part back to like new. You on the other hand will stare at those idiot marks forever.

The game has changed. Now if you just don't like striker fired, well that is a different argument.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldg397:
Good advice. I think I will start with selling the p30 I haven't had it very long. Keep the 19 and 43. Will also keep the kimber because it was a gift on my first Father's Day.

Start with a p320 45 to see if it can replace my 220 compact. If it can sell it and possibly get a p320 9. Then decide on 228 but will keep it until last.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Speaking about one of your guns: I have a love/hate thing with my P30, primarily due to its trigger action. So much ammo through it and yet I can't stop. Best to kill it off now before it digs its claws around your neck, like it did mine...

We just got a 320 Carry in 45AUTO into the shop; it feels pretty good for gun that has the 'wrong' grip angle (my Glock side speaking Wink ). Not a bad trigger on this one, unlike the captain crunchy 9mm 320 Compact that passed through recently. I ended up dry firing that one for several minutes before putting it out for sale. Didn't completely clear it up but it sold anyways. The Cult of the 320 is strong, despite full disclosure. How that one made it past QA is beyond me.

Definitely dry fire test any 320 that you're considering before buying if at all possible. Seems like there are more 'bizarre' trigger groups making their way out of Newington these days.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post