SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone still carrying a Hi Power?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still carrying a Hi Power? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
While going through my 1911s and considering a lightweight commander for EDC, I ran across one of my Hi Powers. Now I’m thinking about carry one on the daily to see how it goes. Anyone still carrying one? What mods have you done to it? Pics are always nice.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often carry a factory chrome Hi Power I bought off a buddy. Only mods are a factory wider trigger, mag safety removed and a C&S thumb safety. Usually in a Kramer IWB.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I've always thought that a Hi Power would make for an excellent carry pistol.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
While I normally carry a Dan Wesson CCO (45ACP), I have also packed my "chopped" Hi-Power, a FM M90 Detective.

But when the weather is extremely hot where I can't dress appropriately for these, I revert to my Sig P238.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
MK III .40

Posts: 591 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john1:
MK III .40

Real nice leather work too !

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still carry my FM Detective HP from time to time. a sweet piece.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If I'm not carrying my HK P7 PSP, it would be a Hi Power you'd find me carrying. I carried one for about a year before I discovered the Teutonic staple gun, and I agree, the BHP is a sweet carry gun. I told a friend I carried one, and he said, "But that's a big gun for carry, isn't it?" "Yeah", I replied, "but it carries small."

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, frequently, but gotta admit, it does take particularly wardrobe attention...mostly a long T-shirt in summer does well, and any longish jacket in cooler weather.

The only down side is the safety on my Mk lll. It's ambidextrous, but I still find it difficult to access with either thumb. (Both have been broken, so for most shooters, this is a non-event). I carried a '68 version of the gun for 10 months or so during my first tour in Vietnam, and have had a love affair with any and all HP's ever since.

Mods: removed the 'mag safety' which improved the trigger 100%; and added a set of Hogue stocks.

Here's my rig. Best Regards, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'll be sporting one on occasion when it gets back from MK3.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodfac:
Yep, frequently, but gotta admit, it does take particularly wardrobe attention...mostly a long T-shirt in summer does well, and any longish jacket in cooler weather.

The only down side is the safety on my Mk lll. It's ambidextrous, but I still find it difficult to access with either thumb. (Both have been broken, so for most shooters, this is a non-event). I carried a '68 version of the gun for 10 months or so during my first tour in Vietnam, and have had a love affair with any and all HP's ever since.

Mods: removed the 'mag safety' which improved the trigger 100%; and added a set of Hogue stocks.

Here's my rig. Best Regards, Rod

Very nice!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Haven't carried one since I started carrying a Shield/P365, but it used to be my winter carry. Box stock with the exception of micarta Navidrex grips and skateboard tape on the front and rear back straps (that finish Browning uses gets slippery).

Carried in an R. Grizzle T&C2 in mahogany.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Owned several, carried one regularly years ago, did the API 250 class at Gunsite with a Hi Power, etc. But, I've not routinely carried a Hi Power in some years. IMHO though, they are rather svelte and easily carried, as compared with some of the blocky, plastic framed, mega capacity wonders of recent years.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
Originally posted by john1:
MK III .40

Real nice leather work too !

Beautiful, classic piece. An elegant weapon from a more civilized age.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My MK2(.5) is in my daily rotation, it carries so well IWB (king tuk holster) compared to a Sig or a Glock. The truly amazing part is it was 9/10th as accurate as my P210.

Action Works did the Garthwaite straight trigger and put Novaks on it. Kinda wish I had a magwell put on and had it strippled.

I have been going back and forth about sending it to Ford's since the baked on finish is coming off and damned ugly.

But there again I am pretty damned ugly as well Wink

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Occasionally carry a FM that i bought decades ago, the night sights have long went dim, but i still say it's one of the best feeling pistols of all time,cocked and locked and at no time do i feel under gunned.

Posts: 95 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will admit that I do not regularly carry the Browning Hi Power, but it remains one of my "must have" handguns after 51 years of experience.

My first Hi Power was a FN P35 Belgian-made, recovered from a NVA officer who had no further need for it. Quang Tri Province, Republic of Vietnam, 1970. Brought it home as a registered war trophy, then had it stolen in a burglary of my home about 1976.

Replaced it with a Belgian-made Browning T-series, which I carried as my off-duty piece and while working plain clothes for about 20 years. Some random element of foolishness allowed that one to get away.

Current Hi Power is a Mark III purchased about 1997. Remains as my house defense piece, readily available but very well concealed. Goes to the range at least 3 times per year so I can keep myself proficient. Consumes any 9X19 ammo I can feed it, including my usual handloads with 125-grain RN-FP cast at .358 and sized .357. Handles the Speer Gold Dot 125JHP +P very well.

The Mark III (IMO) requires no modifications. Came with a good spur hammer and ambi-safety, nice high-profile sights with white post inserts. I did change out the factory plastic grip panels with checkered walnut, mostly as personal preference. Mine still has the magazine safety intact; I can see how removing that would improve the trigger a bit, but it shoots so well as is that I have left it alone.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
I would if I could find one reasonably priced. It's ridiculous they stopped production of them.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Visiting CA on occasion requires me to limit my magazine capacity to ten rounds and a .40 S&W BHP will fit the bill nicely. Here's mine. Although I don't know the identity of the local gunsmith who did the work, he did a good job and the only thing I added were the (LEO friendly) grips. The most accurate .40 S&W that I own.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How hard is it to engage or disengage the safety on a High Power? Which is more secure, the one like we see on your HP or a 1911 ?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post