SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun? Login/Join 
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Any pistol I shoot well falls into that category. I'm making the transition from my G26 to the 320RX compact.

So, the Sig P320cRX, Alex. That's my final answer.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
G19. Maybe a G26 for tight concealment. Basically the same thing except for size.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Only fly in the ointment is the possibility of one or both of the issues with these pistols showing up. Were it not for that, I'd about call it "my perfect handgun."

I'm aware of the barrel preening issue, but what is the second issue you're referring to?

Maybe it's the 6 round mag's propensity to lock the slide back with last round still in mag?

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I guess everyone has a theory on what "all" encompasses. I would have to say a Glock 32 might be it, if it were replacing every handgun I own.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
My Walther PPS 9MM which I find I am CCW more and more with the 7 round magazine.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Like was said everybody has their list of do it all.

If I were to objectively give advice on one gun to literally do everything as far as a handgun is concerned and I mean from carry, to HD, to Hunting, to target shooting to matches to bowling pins etc. it would probably be a Glock 20 in 10mm with a 4 inch steel .357 wheel gun of some reputed manufacturer or another being a close second.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I've given up on trying to narrow it down to just one. What have I had the longest? A Springfield ultra compact. It is the nightstand gun.
Which has the most mags? The old school 226. It's my zombie pistol. It points itself, and runs itself. Buttah.
What do I THINK might be best? A GP 100 or 686 in 4 inch.
What do I want to be when I grow up? Hell, I still don't know.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Only fly in the ointment is the possibility of one or both of the issues with these pistols showing up. Were it not for that, I'd about call it "my perfect handgun."

I'm aware of the barrel preening issue, but what is the second issue you're referring to?

Barrel pitting/flaking. Mainly seen in the PPQ M2 barrels, but also reported in the PPS M2 barrels.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock 23 Gen 4 for me, and I have Alpha Wolf 9 mm conversion barrel for it. Fires 2 calibers flawlessly, accurate and carry everywhere and can do-all handgun. My CZ P-10c is second to Glock.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bow Commander
posted Hide Post
Glock 19 for me as well. I used to buy and sell pistols pretty regularly to try different brands out. Once I bought the Glock that all stopped. I shoot lights out with it, and it fits my hand like a glove.

Posts: 443 | Location: Springfield Oregon | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If I HAD to pick one pistol, it would be painful, but I think I'd end up with one:

Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, worked over by Grayguns - 3.5 pound carry trigger job on replaced fire control parts, a bunch of refitting and cleaning up details, and a Superblack refinish.

It's an easy gun to carry (although it's a little heavy). It's an easy gun to shoot. With heavy loads (Double Tap or Buffalo Bore) I'd be perfectly happy carrying it for wilderness protection (maybe not grizzlies - but I don't live in Alaska and the Alaskan folks I've met would much rather carry a pump shotgun than any kind of pistol). It's not ideal but I'd be OK deer hunting with it, I've done it with a .41 Magnum and the 10mm isn't that different ballistically.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I guess the closest to a "do all" handgun for me would be my HK USP Compact (9mm or .40). It's a decent range gun, carry gun with respectable capacity, durable and since it's a V1, you can decock it or even put on the safety and throw it in a backpack or glove compartment without a holster, if you wanted. It's not my choice for the "if you could only have one pistol" question, but I think it's the best one I have for versatility.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what your ALL includes.

I could probably come up with one gun that could do most of the things I do with a handgun. But it would do most of them badly.

And why would I do that?

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
If I could only have one handgun for self-defense, home-defense, and hunting, it would be my Glock G40 MOS 10mm.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not even close. I have different needs from my handguns and I think I have a nice balance right now.
I have 3 pistols that are strictly for carry. They could be used in competition but they are bone stock.
I have 2 that I would compete with and 1 already has been in competition. I would not carry either as they have extremely light triggers.
1 strictly for hunting and it's basically for deer.
I don't think any one of my pistols could be a "do all".

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Steel Commander sized 1911.

All you need and nothing you don't.

Bob

lots of truth here

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of frogger
posted Hide Post
First, I think you have to think of all the tasks you want to be able to do with your handgun. For me...

1. Concealed Carry
2. Home Defense
3. Plinking / Target Shooting
4. IDPA
5. GSSF
6. Hiking / Hunting sidearm

I think my Glock 19 or my Sig P320 Compact (I'd go with the Glock 19 just because I enjoy GSSF mathes) could either serve as a "do all" handgun for anything OTHER than a hiking/hunting sidearm for protection against 4 legged predators. The problem I see is that anything powerful enough for that job would probably be too big for concealed carry. So, my "do all" kit would be a Glock 19 and a 4" Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum or maybe that dealer exclusive 5" Ruger Super Blackhawk in .454 Casull Ruger was making for a while. If I was really forced to get down to just a single handgun, MAYBE my Ruger SP101, 2-1/4" in .357 Magnum but while it could get by for any task, I don't think it would be particularly great for any of them. The other option I could think of is maybe a Glock 29?

••••••••••••••••••••
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5409 | Location: NC, USA | Registered: November 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A different 19 by smith and wesson 4" barrel is my do it all. Can be ccw' used in idpa icore and though not ideal ( 6" barrel better) bullseye competition. Also within range limitations a deer hunting pistol, and with light loads small game.
There are many decent versatile autos out there but nothing compares the the versatility of a revolver running with shot shells super light plinking and bullseye loads and high performance magnums.
In autos my do it all would be a 1911 with a .22 conversion kit and perhaps a spare short slide

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I could have only one for the rest of my life, I'd have to say a Glock 32. I can carry in 357 sig, drop in a .40s&W barrel for practice or a 9mm conversion barrel. Plus it has the size and aftermarket support.

That said, I think my current favorite do-it-all is the CZ PCR. It is G19 sized, hammer fired, and sweet to shoot at the range.

Also like my HK P2000sk... which is fantastic for CCW, but can grow with the P2000 or P30 mags it also takes. Not to mention the fact I've got a 357sig barrel for it as well.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post