SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun?

Not very!

Long ago I had the thought to try to end up with a one size "do all" handgun but I just couldn't pull it off.

Anything that I would want to carry all day long just isn't enough for hunting or bear protection.

Or anything with enough power to hunt large animals with is just to large & heavy to carry around or keep concealed.

It just works out a lot better to have the proper frame size & caliber for each general usage category.

I wouldn't want to drive a dump truck through rush hour traffic every day going to work & I sure wouldn't want to deliver gravel with a compact car.

Posts: 67 | Registered: August 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
I think the Glock 20 would be as close as a do-it-all gun as you are likely to get.

With lightweight loads it can be used for competition shooting.

Light to moderate loads for HD/self protection.

Heavy/hot loads for hunting and general boondocks carry where bigger critters might be an issue. The ergos of a semi auto make even one handed, off handed or rapid fire controllable with even the hottest loads.

Still a lightweight and relatively compact package with up 15-18 rd. capacity ready to go. With a good belt and a quality holster concealed carry (even with a WML attached) really isn't difficult to pull off.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
4" GP100.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would have to be my Kimber Pro Carry Stainless...

Here there is no failure, only varied degrees of success!

Posts: 884 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: August 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to define do it all I guess. As my first response mentioned to me do it all means home and carry defense practical style competition traditional bullseye competition and even hunting. A gun only good for defense and practical competition without at least approaching bullseye precision accuracy doesn't count, nor does a pistol not possessing adequate power to take big game that can also be downloaded for small game. Functioning with shotshells is another layer of versatility. Bottom line there is no autoloader ever than can even come close to a mid size revolver.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My CZ P-10C is #1 for me through approx 4000rds, its been perfect. I am also looking forward to picking up one of the CZ P-10S 9mm (sub-compacts) when they become available. I will more than likely also get one of the single stack sub-compact 9's when they become. My Gen 4 G19 is my #2 pistol. Not as accurate as the CZ and still has BTF issues occasionally and I had to put around $300. in it to get it how I wanted it. But overall I am pretty happy with it. The Beretta APX pistol shows some promise but its size is bigger than I care for and the trigger is just so so. I dumped my P320C pistol long ago, it pointed low for me, had to high of a bore axis, had more muzzle flip than my P-10C and had to slick of grip frame texture. The VP9, dumped it also, to big in size, finger groves that did not line up with mine, to complicated design with too many parts and I didn't like the trigger guard groove. The PPQ, dumped it also, it was a high bore axis bucking bronco with excessive muzzle flip. The trigger had a too much take up and it broke to light for a street cary pistol *for me*. The 3 S&W M&P 9mm I had, the accuracy was all over the place, S&W M&P pistols ,never again. Also FYI, some current production Glock 9mm pistols still have the BTF issues, it is just the luck of the draw.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mid sized or compact pistols all the way it appears, though there is some splintering as to whether a revolver or autoloader is preferred. Overall there have been some great points made. Thanks to all.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aint no myth, it's called Glock 19.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Do all handgun means literally do all, so in that vein I nominate something I did a long time ago - 4" 44 mag.

In my particular case a 4" stainless S&W Mountain Revolver. It has the lighter barrel so as to make packing easier, that is if a couple ounces makes any difference.

Frankly, I had a 3" 44 mag made for me some years back, it's also a stainless S&W and has a round butt for easier carry in a cross draw holster.

In either case I can shoot 44Spl for social work or step it up to heavy boomers for four legged predators. Hard cast bullets in the 265g range moving @ 1200fps do make an impression at the business end. 250g hard cast work well in the 900fps area for misbehaving felons too.

Revolvers seldom jam, they are a stone ax.

Run out of ammo, you can flail them at a bad guy and clean them up after for many more pleasant hours at the range.

Make mine a 44 mag.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
HK P2000 in 357 Sig. Like having a 357 Magnum in a 13 round semiauto platform.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Glock 19.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P229 in 9mm, the M11A1.

Posts: 113 | Location: N.E.Ohio | Registered: August 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:

I'm surprised it was only mentioned 11 times.

Posts: 67 | Registered: August 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My choice is the Sig 250. Can change from 380 through 45 if one has all the exchange kits. Too bad there is no 10mm exchange kit.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have more Colts than any other handgun manufacturer. I have more revolvers than pistols. If I could only keep one handgun, it would be my Glock G40 10mm.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
I'd like to run a Bobtail 1911 Commander in 3 Super or 357 SIG before I made up my mind.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:

That's cuz they suck.

(For the humour impaired: That was a joke.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Sigs but the handgun that would be the last to go is my Smith 66 w/ 4"barrel. --c

Posts: 63 | Registered: December 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All around champion Kirk's Phaser. Can be set anywhere from Stun to completely erase from existence (no body to be found)....

Posts: 558 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
I will never find that "do-all" handgun because my needs are too varied.
1. My wife and I hike the mountain wilderness quite a bit, so I need a handgun that will stop a bear. S&W 44 mag.
2. I conceal carry. Glock 19
3. Home defense which requires a tactical light and laser. Beretta 92G-SD
4. My wife has a purse handgun. Remington R380

In my opinion, there is no such animal as a "do-all" handgun (Unicorn).

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post