SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How close have you gotten to a "do all" handgun? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just one handgun?! For me it would be the S&W 686 4 inch. As long as I stay out of bear country it will take of the job.

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reginaldcrumpepper:
The pistol that comes closest for me is the P365. It is what i carry when i hike in the mountains.

Hey, have you ever shot Buffalo Bore 147 grain hard cast +P out of it? I carry a Glock 26 with that ammo in the hills, but I am getting warmed up to the idea of buying a 365 for all-around carry.

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
The G19 currently resides in 1st place with the G17 in 2nd.
I still want a hammer fired gun so Both would easily be replaced with an Hk P2000 in 9mm Da/Sa. Some quality training ... and a bunch of 124 gr. and some Ranger T Ammo. to fill the gap would get me to the DO ALL I need.

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Mine is the Glock 19 as well, for sure.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheyenne:
quote:
The pistol that comes closest for me is the P365. It is what i carry when i hike in the mountains.

Hey, have you ever shot Buffalo Bore 147 grain hard cast +P out of it? I carry a Glock 26 with that ammo in the hills, but I am getting warmed up to the idea of buying a 365 for all-around carry.

No, haven't shot the Buffalo Bore; if i lived in Grizzly country, i certainly would. No real dangerous animals in the mountains around here. Perhaps people could be considered dangerous; maybe lion? My 365 is loaded with 124g Gold Dot, or Federal 124g HST. Have shot other 147g rounds; they worked fine.

Posts: 76 | Location: Rapid City, South Dakota | Registered: February 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cheyenne:
quote:

No, haven't shot the Buffalo Bore; if i lived in Grizzly country, i certainly would. No real dangerous animals in the mountains around here. Perhaps people could be considered dangerous; maybe lion? My 365 is loaded with 124g Gold Dot, or Federal 124g HST. Have shot other 147g rounds; they worked fine.

Thanks for replying. I found a P365 yesterday and shot some of the Buffalo Bore today. Using a Labradar chronograph, I got a 10 shot average of 1010, high 1035, low 994, ES 40, SD 11.8. With the Glock 26 Gen 4 that I carry in the woods with that load, I previously got a 5 shot average of 1036, SD 5. (That was with a traditional chronograph with screens about 5 yards from the muzzle, so the velocity may be a little slower than true MV.) The load perforated and exited 8-1 gallon water jugs when fired from the Glock 26.

Because you mentioned 124 Gold Dots (assuming standard pressure), today I shot 10 out of the P365 and got an average of 1047, High 1073, low 1015, ES 58, SD 23, compared to 5 shot averages of 1076 out of a Glock 26 and 1033 out of a Glock 43 (both with the traditional chrono).

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The load perforated and exited 8-1 gallon water jugs

Wow! That is penetration.

Posts: 76 | Location: Rapid City, South Dakota | Registered: February 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
SIG PRO in 357 SIG. ammo cost kept it from perfection.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
My "do all" gun for 15 years was a P229/.40 (made in 1997)

However, after two successful sight swaps, SIG changed the cut on their sights and sight makers did too...now I can't get sights to fit properly.

Now my go-to is P320 or G19

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we are limiting ourselves to one caliber, I find myself relying on my .45acp 1911.

I live in CA and don't have a CCW, so it is for range or home defense only.

However, I've toyed with the idea of building up a 1 serial number = multiple caliber handgun kit.

This would allow a, let us say Glock G35 .40S&W to become a .357Sig, a 9mm, and a .22lr handgun. There may be other options also.

I've read of G21 owners setting them up for their stock .45acp, but also .45super, 10mm, .400corbon, .357sig and .22lr

On another forum, I've read of people with the BHP in .40S&W having it set up to also shoot .357sig, 9mm and .22lr.

I've also read of people discussing how to set up a 1911 to run multiple calibers.

However, from the little checking I did, it seems you have to REALLY want to only have that 'one' serial number, as it may cost just as much to have this conversion set up as it would to just buy another pistol in that caliber.

For example, I was considering this for a Glock G30sf in .45acp. I read about the 10mm conversion, so I looked for the G29 top end. I found one, for over $500.

I bought my G30sf for around $400, and I know someone I can buy a complete G20 for around $525.

Doing this with 1911s is really problematic, and shouldn't be attempted without having a gunsmith set up the conversions- as there can be a lot of fitting involved.

Like I said, I've toyed with some of these ideas, but prefer more options than more parts.

I am best with a 1911 in my hand, but enjoy all types of handguns- even revolvers.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Everyone keeps mentioning the Glock 19. But, to my thinking, everything the G19 can do, the Sig P320 C does better. Better trigger, better ergonomics, better sights.

About the only sticking point in my selection is that mags for the 320C cost about 1/3 more!

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Lots of guns over the years, but back in 2005 I switched over to the Glock 19. It really is the "do all" gun for me.

However,
This year I sold off the last of my 19s and they have been replaced by the Shadow Systems MR918. So that now is my "do all" handgun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
Everyone keeps mentioning the Glock 19. But, to my thinking, everything the G19 can do, the Sig P320 C does better. Better trigger, better ergonomics, better sights.

About the only sticking point in my selection is that mags for the 320C cost about 1/3 more!

Don't forget the detail strip. The P320 trigger group is too damn fussy with all of its lil' bits to make it great in my book.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Used to be G19, but my G48 fits my hand better. If I can ever get my hands on a P365XL that might be a good option for my little girly hands.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:

Don't forget the detail strip. The P320 trigger group is too damn fussy with all of its lil' bits to make it great in my book.

Detail stripping a P320 is a piece of cake...made even easier by the fact that you can remove the entire FCU from the frame, so you can do all of your work out in the open. I'd take it any day over the Glock. The only area where my Glock beats my P320 is rust-resistance, and I'm not even sure I'd say that with the new Glocks...I've not been as impressed with their finish as I have been with my old Tennifer gen3 G26.

IMO, the quest for a do-all handgun, though, is a fool's errand. What you're gonna end up with is a gun that is mediocre in every situation. The best option for a duty gun is not going to be ideal for concealed carry off-duty. The best carry gun for an urban environment where you have to worry about potentially facing large groups of 2-legged assailants is not going to be the best choice to pack into the backcountry with grizzly bears. You've gotta identify the requirements, and purchase the right tool for each job.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Colt King Cobra (2019) .357 mag with 3inch barrel. I can use it with shot-shells for snakes, 38 special for plinking and carry it (or home defense) with either 38special +P or 357 mag. If I needed to hunt with it the short barrel would be a deficit but in my back yard possible. Yes, plenty of deer around my house.

I actually shoot 38 Spl, +P, and 357 Mag depending how my arthritis is doing.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The HK45C does an amazing number of things well.

Very, very well designed pistol.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I always thought my G19.

Now, my 43X with shield arms mags is a great threat to the 19. I have a smaller gun with the same amount of ammo on board. For carry, it’s pretty perfect for me.

If it had to be da/sa my P228 would be it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BennerP220,

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd take either a P226/9mm or P220/10mm any day as my only

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm very fond of my M&P9 full size. I can carry concealed, and it shoots well enough to be competitive in USPSA/IDPA.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post