SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Swapping longer barrels into smaller frames
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swapping longer barrels into smaller frames Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
Is there any appreciable benefit to running a longer, protruding barrel? Is there an increase in accuracy or muzzle velocity?

Since Gen5 Glocks have the same barrel lock up now, you could conceivably run a G34 barrel in a G26. Ridiculous, I know, but I was thinking more about dropping a G17 barrel in a G19.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The only (usually) assured benefit to a longer barrel is higher muzzle velocity. To cite just one example of my own, from a 4.4 inch P226 barrel Winchester Q4318 (124 grain NATO) averaged 1130 fps; from a threaded 4.9" barrel the average velocity was 1170 fps.

Longer barrels do not automatically improve accuracy; the opposite is in fact sometimes true, although such variables are more likely to be factors in rifles than handguns.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The accuracy gains that are common in longer barreled revolvers 0ver their shorter tubed brethren are not due to the length of the barrel, they are due to the longer sight radius

In the olden days of bullseye it was common to see firearms with extended front sights in order to gain an accuracy advantage

As sigfreund demonstrates, a loner barrel by itself will usually only yield a velocity increase

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run a threaded barrel but that's about as far as I'll extend out the front of the slide. Velocity is the only benefit I can think of but you trade handling and can probably knock it out of battery easier.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post