SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I finally found the Colt Woodsman I've been looking for--the adventure begins [Now with photos, page 2]
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finally found the Colt Woodsman I've been looking for--the adventure begins [Now with photos, page 2] Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is still in the safe. A year or so ago, the original grip began to disintegrate and I got a replacement from Numrich. I take it out and shoot it every year or so. It was my first handgun and taught me a great deal.

quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I wanted to buy one as my first handgun back in 71. However, based on a combination of the price and my salary, I ended up with a High Standard DuraMatic. A Colt sure would have been nice.

Your High Standard DuraMatic sure is nice too, still have it?

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Congrats SJ, you’ve got a keeper. 22s are so much fun to shoot.

For ammo, I really like Aguila Pistol Match. At 1080 FPS, it’s at the low end of standard velocity – very easy on the gun, and the breech stays cleaner. The bullets are well clinched in the cases too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Can you find it locally? Getting harder to get online as you know.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread inspired me to dig my old woodsman out of my safe for the first time. It's a 1924 model. Nothing fancy, but it's actually fun to shoot. I got it years ago at a garage sale, along with a Stevens 335 SxS from 1910ish. The Stevens is a fun little clay shooter!

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a late 50s vintage huntsman. Reminds me of my grandpas pre woodsman he had. That went to my uncle, I hope he keeps it in the family.

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a match target as well. Great pistol, Shooting it is like driving around in a classic car.

Where is a good place to pick up extra mags and grips? The old coltwood grips are breaking down and my altamonts didn't fit exactly right?

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW very nice Good for you !

I had one as a kid and loved it. Still looking for one to add to my collection.

Posts: 179 | Registered: September 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Very nice guns in this thread. A Woodsman is one I'd like to add as well but locally all I ever come across are way overpriced decent examples, or ones that have been run through the ringer that I wouldn't take if given, yet still command outlandish prices from their way too money-grubbing owners and shopkeeps. It's that Colt name, I guess, with a little Python effect sprinkled in for good measure.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Can you find it locally? Getting harder to get online as you know.

I assume that you’re asking about the Aguila Pistol Match .22 ammo that I recommended. I don’t know. Before the ridiculous CA ammo purchase law kicked in, I purchased a lot of .22 and 9mm ammo from online vendors. My heirs may have to figure out what to do with the rest of it. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where is a good place to pick up extra mags and grips? The old coltwood grips are breaking down and my altamonts didn't fit exactly right?

Triple-K sells mags, and I believe grips; however my new buddy Tom Platt, Mr. Pre-Woodsman, thinks the Triple-K mags don’t work right, and one should look on eBay and pay the $100 price for an original mag.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
First photos of my "new" pre-Woodsman. The bluing is thin to gone around the muzzle, otherwise very good. There are some very small idiot marks on the slide. Grips are in good shape.

That's an aftermarket trigger widening mechanism.
Trigger pull is 4 lbs. 11 oz.

It came with one original two-tone magazine, and two later but still pre-war magazines with a leather mag holster as shown.

First shooting, groups did not appear as tight as a Buckmark shot at the same time, and POI was high and to the left. I will sight in the sights and use some Wolf Match ammo to see how good groups I can get.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
For a fairly "common" gun way back, I've seen grands total of ONE woodsman in my life, in a gun shop in Anchorage many years ago.

I did shoot someone's Match Target about 30 years ago. Never seen another one of them either.

It's made me wonder "where'd all the woodsman go?"

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nice old Colt.

I think the trigger shoe is installed upside down. If you plan to carry the pistol in a holster, I would consider removing the trigger shoe altogether.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Tom Platt says the trigger pull is excessive but should respond to cleaning and adjustment which he will help me with. And yes, the trigger shoe is upside down.

posted Hide Post
Regarding magazines original Colt are the way to go. They are hard to find and often expensive. However I have good luck digging through “junk boxes” at gun shows and old school gun shops. Have 3 spares for my challenger which ran me under 50 bucks each
Keep in mind mags from the first series are not interchangeable with 2/3 series

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Good looking, classic old Colt, I'd love one just like it.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are fantastic pistols, I also have a pre-woodsman 1921 vintage .
Accuracy on par with my M41. however, I find the grip rather small for my meathook huge hands.
I'm going to have to dig mine out for a range session now that's it's getting warmer, and see if I can warm up to it alittle more..

More & more SIG's and a bunch of Smith & Wesson revolvers

Posts: 654 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: April 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’m afraid this may not be my last Woodsman. It feels fantastic in my hands, is so tightly fitted it’s amazing, and is feeding my CCI standard velocity rounds very nicely despite not having been thoroughly cleaned yet.