SIGforum
I finally found the Colt Woodsman I've been looking for--the adventure begins [Now with photos, page 2]

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1610091454

March 04, 2019, 06:41 PM
sjtill
I finally found the Colt Woodsman I've been looking for--the adventure begins [Now with photos, page 2]
The first gun I ever shot was a Colt Woodsman that was my Dad's. Unfortunately he had me shoot it mostly for his amusement, as he knew I would lose control of it, and he got a laugh out of that, and would tell the story years later. He did the same with a shotgun--he caught the shotgun, I ended up on my butt. I have my Dad's Winchester 94, but don't know where the Woodsman is, so decided to replace it with one of my own.

Anyway--after years of looking I found one in very good shape. It's a pre-Woodsman, made in 1926, and the bluing and grips look very good. Found it by chance in an LGS I stumbled on.

It's now in California 10-day purgatory, so I don't have photos yet.

However I just got off the phone after a long conversation with Tom Platt, Master Gunsmith for the Woodsman. He owns serial numbers 1 and 7, and a couple of hundred other Woodsman models. An internet search had led me to to colt22.com, Robert Rayburn's knowledge base of all things Woodsman, including maintenance. On that Tom Platt is not only the expert, he's invented a tool kit for disassembly and assembly of Woodsman pistols. I'd heard that he sometimes refused to sell tool kits to people who hadn't taken one apart the old-fashioned way, so decided to sell him my story.

He called me just a while ago from Kingman, Arizona, and we had a long talk about Woodsman pistols, our youthful adventures with our Dads, and how we had gotten soft and didn't like to kill anything any more.

If you have a Woodsman that needs some work, maybe missing parts, Tom Platt is the person to contact. HE has a horde of spare parts, makes his own if necessary, and builds match target Woodsman pistols for Camp Perry competition.

As is so often in this community of firearms enthusiasts, experts are happy to share their expertise, and he has offered to talk to me if I have any problems with my new Woodsman.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

March 04, 2019, 08:02 PM
David Lee
It will be interesting to see what variation you got. Woodsman, like the High Standards are some elegant pistols. I had a 6" Match Target which was a peach to take along to the indoor range. I found it locally with mismatched grips. Walnut on one side and a lighter blonde color stock on the drivers side. Oh beautiful quality blueing of the era. My Match Target was 2nd Generation. Very nice triggers on them and the solid steel slide assures feeding.
March 04, 2019, 08:09 PM
sjtill
David, I enjoyed your excitement of your recent LGS trips.

This is a Pre-Woodsman, otherwise known as the Cold .22 Target Model, built in 1926. It has the 6 inch+ medium taper barrel. I can’t yet say what the rifling looks like, but I doubt it was shot much based on the condition of the bluing.
3 more days in purgatory....
Yes there will be pix.

March 04, 2019, 08:35 PM
David Lee
At least a bit similar to a HD Military High Standard. I dont believe one could ever shoot the older rimfire pistols too much. My Model A High Standard was a mechanical masterpiece with its quality machined parts, fine springs and, they went the distance on these early guns to utilize checkering and serrations. A Model A would impress the best pistol shooter it is a excellent rimfire pistol. The Colts too will make a shooter smile when they break that trigger. What a sweet old gun.
March 04, 2019, 10:02 PM
captain127
Tom is a first class guy, and took care of me by repairing the faulty sear/trigger issue I was having with my rough around the edges first year production challenger. It runs perfectly now and for such a rough looking gun shoots terrific. His turn around time on work is prompt and prices are reasonable
March 05, 2019, 11:35 AM
pulicords
Since we're all anxiously awaiting pics, thought you might like this one. I found this 3rd Series Woodsman Sport for like $400.00 back in the 1980's with the box and all accoutrements. Although I wish I had a "Target" (heavy barrel) 4", its hard to believe any .22 can beat this for pure accuracy. I'll never sell it.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
March 05, 2019, 11:57 AM
sjtill
These are really beautiful pistols, aren't they?
Then there's the mystical connection with J M Browning.

March 05, 2019, 12:41 PM
grumpy1
Congrats sjtill on at long last finding a Cold Woodsman. Smile I also have very fond memories of shooting in my youth with my Uncle and those were very special times. He had a Belgium Browning Auto 5 12 gauge and when I turned 16 I saved every penny from my first job to get one for myself in 1967 that I have to this day.
March 06, 2019, 07:53 AM
ridewv
Congratulations on finding your Woodsman it sounds like it's a nice one!

My first pistol was this Colt Woodsman Match Target which was given to me by my father on my 18th birthday. Thank goodness I had the foresight to keep it, it'll be going to my son one of these days.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
March 06, 2019, 10:45 AM
sjtill
Wow, ridewv, that is beautiful, and you have the whole package! And of course you will never sell it. That’s why Woodsman pistols are getting so expensive. Beautiful, beautifully made, accurate, family heirlooms, and the mystique of J M Browning.

March 06, 2019, 01:22 PM
ridewv
Thanks sjtill.
I should try to order the tool kit for assembly that you referenced as I do recall struggling putting it back together last time I had it apart.

March 06, 2019, 01:45 PM
texassierra
My Dad passed this one down to me. He said it was new when he purchased it. I've never fired it nor did he.

NRA Life Patron
March 06, 2019, 01:52 PM
sjtill
Ridewv, email me and I’ll give you Tom Platt’s email and phone number. He’d love to hear your story, I’m sure.

March 06, 2019, 01:59 PM
arcwelder
I'd love to have a Woodsman. It'd go right next to the Model 41.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

March 06, 2019, 02:08 PM
DSgrouse
Here is mine, Seen lower right. I have the original grips and box. No papers.

I wish i had an extra 9 mags. It is by far one of the most fun guns to shoot. What is the tool you are all talking about?
March 06, 2019, 02:23 PM
sjtill
Here’s a link to Bob Rayburn’s colt22.com website, in which he discussed the use of Tom Platt’s tool kit to ease maintenance of the Woodsman.

Woodsman Maintenance

March 06, 2019, 02:55 PM
DSgrouse
awesome thanks
March 06, 2019, 03:59 PM
maxwayne
I wanted to buy one as my first handgun back in 71. However, based on a combination of the price and my salary, I ended up with a High Standard DuraMatic. A Colt sure would have been nice.
March 06, 2019, 05:52 PM
ridewv
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I wanted to buy one as my first handgun back in 71. However, based on a combination of the price and my salary, I ended up with a High Standard DuraMatic. A Colt sure would have been nice.

Your High Standard DuraMatic sure is nice too, still have it?

March 06, 2019, 07:26 PM
triaxle
The Woodsman Sport 4 in was my first hand gun back in the day 157 bucks , then a Colt Commander 45 for 225.