SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Compare P320 x five to P320 fullsize
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compare P320 x five to P320 fullsize Login/Join 
posted
I did a quick cideo on the two guns a couple days ago. It is to compare and answer questions on similarities and differences between the models. Please let me know if you would like to see anything else. https://youtu.be/AJ7da-rmI2w

Posts: 1 | Registered: April 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum.

Q

Posts: 26190 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Great video, you answered my question about the recoiling difference between the two. Welcome to the forum.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I borrowed a friends P320 X5 and shot it side by side with my standard P320 full size.

I'm very disappointed in the X5. It doesn't feel as good in my hand as my P320 standard full size. I could get my hand higher up on the grip with the standard, the X5 has a larger beaver tail which held my hand a bit lower. The grip on the X5 is really boxy and has no ergonomic contour like the standard P320 frame.

The X5 doesn't have a longer barrel. The X5 is a little bit heavier.

Shooting the two, the X5 did have slightly less recoil. Triggers are a draw, very disappointed by this, the X5 flat trigger (other than the flat surface) felt identical to my standard P320. Sights, the X5 sights are awesome! I have a Heinie rear and Dawson Precision front on my P320 so the front sight is the same as the X5 but the rear sight on the X5 is far better than the standard SIG sights and still better than the Heinie. Even so, in the few magazines that I put through them side by side my groups at 20 yards were slightly smaller with my P320.

Lastly, like WTH SIG, the standard 17 round magazines from my P320 would not fit into the X5. This is horrible SIG and very frustrating to me. I've read that if you shave a bit of plastic off the base pads of the standard P320 17 round magazines that you can get them to fit in the X5 but seriously, why?!?!?!

I'm an admitted SIG nut and I like my P320, I wanted a P320 Target when they were announced at SHOT 2016, SIG never made them. I saw that they were coming out with the X5 at the 2017 SHOT show and thought... Better Yet!! Well, the X5 is not better in my opinion. It's just a LOT more expensive. You do get a mag well and 4 21 round mags with the X5 though but I don't think the rear sight, 2 extra mags and mag well equate to $400+ price difference.

I believe I would have been happier with the P320 Target that never materialized. I'll look into it and I think if I could possibly have the slide on my standard P320 milled and fitted with the same rear sight as the X5 - Romeo 1 red dot base I'd be much happier with that than the X5.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
I borrowed a friends P320 X5 and shot it side by side with my standard P320 full size.

I'm very disappointed in the X5. It doesn't feel as good in my hand as my P320 standard full size. I could get my hand higher up on the grip with the standard, the X5 has a larger beaver tail which held my hand a bit lower. The grip on the X5 is really boxy and has no ergonomic contour like the standard P320 frame.

Shooting the two, the X5 did have slightly less recoil. Triggers are a draw, very disappointed by this, the X5 flat trigger (other than the flat surface) felt identical to my standard P320. Sights, the X5 sights are awesome! I have a Heinie rear and Dawson Precision front on my P320 so the front sight is the same as the X5 but the rear sight on the X5 is far better than the standard SIG sights and still better than the Heinie. Even so, in the few magazines that I put through them side by side my groups at 20 yards were slightly smaller with my P320.

Lastly, like WTH SIG, the standard 17 round magazines from my P320 would not fit into the X5. This is horrible SIG and very frustrating to me. I've read that if you shave a bit of plastic off the base pads of the standard P320 17 round magazines that you can get them to fit in the X5 but seriously, why?!?!?!

I'm an admitted SIG nut and I like my P320, I wanted a P320 Target when they were announced at SHOT 2016, SIG never made them. I saw that they were coming out with the X5 at the 2017 SHOT show and thought... Better Yet!! Well, the X5 is not better in my opinion. It's just a LOT more expensive. You do get a mag well and 4 21 round mags with the X5 though but I don't think the rear sight, 2 extra mags and mag well equate to $400+ price difference.

I believe I would have been happier with the P320 Target that never materialized. I'll look into it and I think if I could possibly have the slide on my standard P320 milled and fitted with the same rear sight as the X5 - Romeo 1 red dot base I'd be much happier with that than the X5.

How is the trigger going to be better on the X Five if it's the same FCU that's in the standard P320? I't fine if you don't like it but this seems to be a common misconception. Mine X Five trigger is pretty good out of the box. With the flat PELT trigger it's quite good but I'm not tearing up splits in USPSA fast enough to need a trigger job.
Just my 2 cents. Your results may vary.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting video.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrtuna:
quote:

How is the trigger going to be better on the X Five if it's the same FCU that's in the standard P320? I't fine if you don't like it but this seems to be a common misconception. Mine X Five trigger is pretty good out of the box. With the flat PELT trigger it's quite good but I'm not tearing up splits in USPSA fast enough to need a trigger job.
Just my 2 cents. Your results may vary.

The X5 doesn't have the exact same trigger parts as a Standard P320. Bruce Grey confirms this in another thread in this forum. So, part of what you're paying for is an X5 trigger and I'm saying I couldn't tell a difference in between the 2 guns I shot.

posted Hide Post
I find the pistols balance markedly differently as well. The slide on my X-5 is noticeably lighter than my P320RX and so the X-5 is not as muzzle heavy and more balanced.

Also, several times it has been written that the full size and X-5 have the same length barrel. While I haven't compared them side-to-side the X-5 barrel is supposed to be 5" as opposed to 4.7" for the full size pistol.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

The X5 doesn't have the exact same trigger parts as a Standard P320. Bruce Grey confirms this in another thread in this forum. So, part of what you're paying for is an X5 trigger and I'm saying I couldn't tell a difference in between the 2 guns I shot.

The different parts are minor, and a standard 320 FCU will fit in the gun. And vice versa.

I'm really not sure why you are disappointed in the trigger. None of the legacy X5 guns were particularly spectacular out of the box either.

As to the difference in the 17 round magazines, about 30 seconds and an Exacto knife makes all the magazines work.

If you don't like the gun, fair enough. But, it is an improvement for USPSA and Action pistol.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37073 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

I only knew about the slide catch being extended but the FCUs feel very similar when I swap them between guns. Very good for a stock production handgun IMO. Even if you bought a CZ Shadow it would require a trigger job.

The different parts are minor, and a standard 320 FCU will fit in the gun. And vice versa.

I'm really not sure why you are disappointed in the trigger. None of the legacy X5 guns were particularly spectacular out of the box either.

Agreed, My P226 Legion SAO has a much better trigger then my P226 X5 Competition did.

As to the difference in the 17 round magazines, about 30 seconds and an Exacto knife makes all the magazines work.

If you don't like the gun, fair enough. But, it is an improvement for USPSA and Action pistol.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Just passing along my opinions. I guess the biggest reason I expected so much more from the X5 over my standard full size P320 is the price difference. The X5 is almost twice the price.

The sights and the 2 extra magazines are the only real added value the P320X5 has over a P320 and I don't see almost $500 in added value there.

If the X5 was $150 more than I would have been 100% happy about it. Except for the boxy feel and the fact it doesn't accept standard 17 round magazines.

I purchased a P226RX SAO and for the $200 price difference over a stock P226R I think you get a lot.

Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to handle a x5 yet, but in the photos, and several comments the boxy grip does seem like it could be annoying. Since the FCU are interchangeable, is there any downside to putting a standard grip module if the X5? Do you lose the magwell comparability? Any other downsides?

Posts: 830 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
I haven't been able to handle a x5 yet, but in the photos, and several comments the boxy grip does seem like it could be annoying. Since the FCU are interchangeable, is there any downside to putting a standard grip module if the X5? Do you lose the magwell comparability? Any other downsides?

I am kind of sensitive to how a boxy grip feels in my hand due to having beat them up over 30 years as a mechanic. I checked out a S&W Shield and a Glock 19 recently and there was no way it would work for me. The grip on my X-5 is nothing like that at all. While it certainly feels different than a standard P320 it doesn't feel boxy to me at all. I would suggest you check it out to get a feel for it. Personally I am very happy with the grip configuration.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just passing along my opinions. I guess the biggest reason I expected so much more from the X5 over my standard full size P320 is the price difference. The X5 is almost twice the price.

The sights and the 2 extra magazines are the only real added value the P320X5 has over a P320 and I don't see almost $500 in added value there.

If the X5 was $150 more than I would have been 100% happy about it. Except for the boxy feel and the fact it doesn't accept standard 17 round magazines.

I purchased a P226RX SAO and for the $200 price difference over a stock P226R I think you get a lot.

You forgot about the bull barrel, milled slide (lightening cuts AND optics ready), weighted backstrap, and flared magwell. And about that trigger, the "minor" changes improve the take up and reset just a tiny bit. Admittedly, these are all small changes but the net result is a better balanced pistol with competition features. If you can get all that work done for $400 then please let me know your smith's contact info. Then I need you to get him to "manufacture" 2000 of them so I can use it in Production, lol. This pistol is not aimed at EDC peeps.

I took my brand new X5 out to the range yesterday to break it in. It felt much better in my hand compared to my FS (except the LOP but I'll get to that in a minute). The X5's balance is much improved over the front-heavy FS so I was expecting tighter groups. But I shot my full-size better. WTF?

Then it dawned on me that I had to switch to a large grip frame on my 320F to shoot it well. I don't know if it's the improved contact for my support hand or the longer LOP but I get tighter groups compared to a medium. No surprise then that when I swapped the frames I shot the X5 better...just a touch better than my FS with large frame. I did miss that backstrap weight and I find the flattened grip of the X5 helps me index better on the draw so I look forward to a large X5 grip. Were the differences earth-shattering? No. But if I can shave a few points from my score then it's worth it to me.

Willing to pay for a trigger job. YMMV.

P320 9mm, SP2022 9mm

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is an older thread: Is the X5 barrel compatible with a P320rx FS? I would like to put the X5 barrel in my 320rxFS.

Thank you!

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
My .02 having owned both, and very subjective feelings on both; had the FS P320 first, tried using it for IDPA - personally just could not get comfortable with the pistol, mostly because of the grip. Tried a couple different grip sizes but still never just felt "right". Ended up selling it. Tried a P320 X5, and again for me, that grip and better feeling overall balance just flat out worked - bought one and now using it in IPSC competition. Just a completely different, better for me, fitting pistol. Yes the trigger is not "great" but it's not terrible either, just recently passed 1k rounds through it and it has smoothed out some no doubt - for me it's a keeper, the P320 FS wasn't. Not saying the "regular" P320 FS isn't a good pistol, but with competition as a primary focus, the X5 version works better IMO.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Im not sure about the compatibility. But my x5 has a 5inch bull barrel. Flat trigger great for me, have Dawson precision, I haven’t added the Romeo. Really no need. The Dawson front sight is dam nice sight. I did adjust front and rears to suit my preferences.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimg1960:
just could not get comfortable with the pistol, mostly because of the grip. Tried a couple different grip sizes but still never just felt "right". Ended up selling it. Tried a P320 X5, and again for me, that grip and better feeling overall balance just flat out worked

Newf are the grips the same size on those pistols? Reason I’m asking is seems it’s just random which size is on the 320s. Unless you buy a new grip module in size you want.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimg1960:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jimg1960:
just could not get comfortable with the pistol, mostly because of the grip. Tried a couple different grip sizes but still never just felt "right". Ended up selling it. Tried a P320 X5, and again for me, that grip and better feeling overall balance just flat out worked

Newf are the grips the same size on those pistols? Reason I’m asking is seems it’s just random which size is on the 320s. Unless you buy a new grip module in size you want.

To the best of my knowledge, excepting differences in frame length or height:

The X- 320 guns share the same frame, and it's one size. The regular 320 series guns all ship with the medium grip frame, as far as I know.

The X frames and the regular frames will feel different. The overall contour is different between the two, the X frames have an undercut trigger guard and a higher beavertail. The regular frames have less material on the sides of the beavertail, so they feel, at least to me, less chunky.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Handgun enthusiasts today have more options than ever before when it comes to the size and fit. Users of the Sig Sauer P320 are no exception. The Sig P320 comes in four different sizes (Full Size, Carry, Compact and Sub Compact) and each size has either two or three grip module sizes available. Each grip module has a two or three letter designation on the lower part of the backstrap. Below is a table showing all possible letter combinations for the eleven grip module options. The black box denotes the size module that comes with the firearm from the factory.

From Talon website...