SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What are your thoughts and opinions of the Desert Eagle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your thoughts and opinions of the Desert Eagle? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted
I've had some of mine for about 15 years or so and it never gets old. Swapped calibers here and there, resulting in wanting another one. Then an extra barrel or three. 357 Magnum is smooth as can be (until those boxes of ammo become empty too quickly) up to the 50 that splits bowling pins with ease. From the Mark I to the latest from Khar, the versatility is what sold me on these. Never got in to the patterns or print versions myself. Got my first one for $800 or so. Doesn't seem to make a good carry piece. Wink

Seeing them in just about any movie made in the last thirty years. Different barrel lengths and versions everywhere. What is the consensus of the forum?

I'll start off with some eye candy.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the L5 in .357 mag, that is the newer lightweight model. Mine is dead accurate, low recoil and a blast to shoot, not to mention the cool factor. The only issue I have with the gun is it's ammo picky, so you need to buy the recommended brands and type. I wish they had a load info available. I suppose if I wasn't so lazy I could load up some hot rounds and see if they function.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I had an XIX .50, with a .357 bolt and scoped barrel. I regret selling it as I did enjoy it.

The "deagle" is much maligned by people who don't shoot magnum very much.

As far as carry, I did have a shoulder holster for it, you'd be surprised.

At some point, I'll pick up a used one in .44 to go with my other .44s.

They aren't for everyone, but they are excellent guns.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are your thoughts and opinions of the Desert Eagle?

Gangsta. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26380 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
All of the Desert Eagles that I have fired have been VERY accurate as long as they have FULL Power ammunition

I have had a few over the years.

My 44 Magnum DE was damaged in a plane crash. It fell from 8000 feet and the frame torqued in such a way as the magazine could not be removed. The factory said it was totaled. My HK PSP survived the same incident and is still being shot today. I like them Germans Smile

I still own and shoot my 50AE Desert Eagle and I have one in 41 Magnum with a spare 10" barrel

I have had both of these for probably 25 years

I flip back and forth on which one is my favorite

I guess I need to photograph them individually. The only image I have is my old 41 Magnum group picture

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My 44 Magnum DE was damaged in a plane crash. It fell from 8000 feet and the frame torqued in such a way as the magazine could not be removed. The factory said it was totaled. My HK PSP survived the same incident and is still being shot today. I like them Germans

^^^^^^^^
Would like to hear the back story. Sounds like it could be a John Cameron Swayze story on the HK.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I had one in 44 mag many years ago, and really loved it. Unfortunately, at the time, it was just too expensive for me to shoot, so I traded it away.
I've thought many times about getting another.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like mine. I don't shoot it very often (.50AE is pricy) but when I do I really enjoy it. Everyone I have ever let shoot it enjoys it as well. It's well made and accurate, and heavy enough that the recoil isn't bad, so it's pretty easy to shoot.

It is a little ridiculous, but that's part of it's charm. Not every handgun needs to be the best CCW piece ever. The DE is always a fun gun to take out and shoot.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
What are your thoughts and opinions of the Desert Eagle?

Gangsta. Big Grin

Sir Mix a lot had one and he said it “stops”. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
My 44 Magnum DE was damaged in a plane crash. It fell from 8000 feet and the frame torqued in such a way as the magazine could not be removed. The factory said it was totaled. My HK PSP survived the same incident and is still being shot today. I like them Germans

^^^^^^^^
Would like to hear the back story. Sounds like it could be a John Cameron Swayze story on the HK.

Me too, how on earth did you even find it after falling from 8000 feet? I'm guessing it fell out of the plane, not the entire plane crashed?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It’s one of those guns I’ve always wanted, just because. Probably in .357 so I can actually afford to shoot it. Some day. Smile

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Don't know how accurate it is but you know what James McMurtry sang about them:

"And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by bad ass Hebrews"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^

Me too, how on earth did you even find it after falling from 8000 feet? I'm guessing it fell out of the plane, not the entire plane crashed?
No, It did not fall out of the plane

The entire plane did crash. It was an old USAF marked O-2 Skymaster on it's way to an airshow. The pilot was the to serve as the show's Fight Surgeon

The wing was ripped off the fuselage at 8,000+ feet by a freak of weather.

The wing came to rest quite a distance from the fuselage

Fortunately, it all came back to earth on a farm, the only casualties were the pilot and passenger

My go bag was in the back of the aircraft's cabin

The bag was still in the cabin after impact

I was not on board that morning.

The Desert Eagle did not look damaged, the slide operated and could be removed from the frame, but the magazine would no come out.

The DE was in a holster while the PSP was in a padded gun rug, but I do not attribute it's survival to the gun rug's padding

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

I guess I need to photograph them individually. The only image I have is my old 41 Magnum group picture.

Nice! The 41 is a good one to have. Hard to come by though.

I was thinking that I might need to get a group photo of mine before I add another one.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a .44 and a .50. I've had the .44 for 15 years or so, the .50 about 10.

The .44 has always been a jam-o-matic. Very specific to ammo. Max load everything and it works, sometimes. Just don't shoot it enough to really get into the perfect ammo load. Cheap factory stuff just doesn't seem to work.

The .50 has been flawless. Always shoot factory ammo with it, have a bunch of empty cases and reloading dies for it, just haven't gotten around to using them yet.

It's fun, and I always enjoy it, the rare time I get it to the range.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still have my old one from eons ago. An aluminum frame Mk I in .357 that I’ve upgraded to Mk VII specs with the adjustable trigger and extended safety and slide release.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun gun. With the .50 AE barrel it would frequently eject the fired case to the shooter's forehead. Got tired of that, so had the barrel Mag-Na-Ported. Didn't reduce recoil much, but significantly reduced rotation and eliminated the case to forehead problem.

Always draws a lot of attention at the indoor range. Great chance to introduce new shooters to some unique hardware. Safety tip - only load one round for the first time shooter.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a hard chrome .44mag that everyone loves to shoot.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Safety tip - only load one round for the first time shooter.

^^^^^^
Yep. There was a guy next to me at the range that did just that explaining that after the recoil there was a tendency to pull the trigger again with the gun pointed towards the ceiling.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Didn't IMI make these in a 45 Win. Mag also ? Maybe that was the LAR gun. Arcweldors wife IIRC had a gold tiger stripe DE.. Cool Cant get much cooler than that.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post