SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US Armament 1903 safe to carry with round in the chamber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Armament 1903 safe to carry with round in the chamber Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
The original Colt 1903 could discharge if dropped. The reproduction by US Armament claims that the increased inn the hammer hook depth and sear surface to create a sharper angle. Any opinions of the safety of carrying one of them with a round in the chamber? Want one of these historic units and would like to carry it as it is slim and very concealable.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that it is less about a hammer / sear fitment and more about the firing pin needing to inertia resistant.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
They should have the double hook sear, as in late production Colt 1903's.

When I redid my old family 1903, I was lucky enough to find the parts to convert mine from the single hook. I didn't know this, I ran across a fellow on the internet selling the parts, and how it was a safety upgrade.
Later Type III versions have a more robust sear and half cock notch and More drop safe.
The later hammers and parts fit the earlier guns with some fitting and a good pistol smith can trick them and keep them safe for carry.

I would think The pistol you mentioned would be safe to carry a round chambered. I would like to have one,but a little too pricey for me.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1918 1903 hammerless. Only thing that might stop my carry of it is that its super picky on ammo. Itll jam a round upright in the chamber every other mag if it dislikes the ammo.

Posts: 48 | Registered: July 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post