SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does anyone own a Meprolight Micro RDS?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone own a Meprolight Micro RDS? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
I was unsure where to put this, but since they tend to get used more on pistols than anything else....

I was wondering if anyone had one, and/or knew what mounting pattern standard they were? (if they even are)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current Meprolight dot is a dovetail mount only. It's a different design than other dovetail mounts as it is essentially a rear sight with a QD platform built in to attach the optic. The footprint of the optic itself I believe to be proprietary.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They offer it in three setups (though the sight is the same on all three). One with that proprietary set up to QD clamp on their special rear sight. One that comes with a plate of some sort? (I don’t remember at the moment.) And as a “sight only” option. A contact at Meprolight tell me at some point they started including a rail mount with the “sight only” option, but when you purchase one from a retailer there’s no way of knowing if you’ll get a mount or not, because there’s no way of knowing how old the stock is that you’re buying. I was unable to get out of them if the hole pattern was an industry standard or not. I don’t know if the person I was in contact with just didn’t know or what? But I never got any more out of them. (This was through unofficial channels, so I guess I could try and get a official answer, but I just figured I’d ask around)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They really dropped the ball if you asked me, in terms of providing information on it when marketing the sight. I think there’s too many questions for people to be comfortable buying one. No one wants to be left with an orphan, unsupported product. (The reason I haven’t bought one) That’s one of the things I expressed to the contact I had, maybe that’s why they stopped responding to my questions LOL.

posted Hide Post
Interesting. In looking at the SKUs, I see there is a no mount version. I have never seen anybody that mills slides for it. Dealer pricing is ...cheap. I also am not sure that the buttons won't be susceptible to accidental activation.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
“Available Configurations:

Option 1- Full Set
Mepro microRDS Red Dot Sight.
Quick Release Adaptor.
Backup Self-illuminated Night Sight Set.

Option 2- Quick Release Adaptor
Quick Release Adaptor.
Backup Self-illuminated Night Sight Set.
Support Plates.

Option 3- Optical Sight only
MEPRO MicroRDS Red Dot Sight”

^ But with no information about if you can mount that no mount version to anything, why would anyone buy it? And I get the feeling no one is.

Originally they sold it as just the sight. Then at some point they wised up and included a Picatinny mount. But if you don’t tell your potential customers that… (and still call it “sight only”??)