SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why does everyone recommend .44 MAG, and no mention of S+W .500 , in bear threads?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does everyone recommend .44 MAG, and no mention of S+W .500 , in bear threads? Login/Join 
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy the “bear gun” threads. They pop up every year or so. So far in this thread I have seen no jokes about taking a .22 or a revolver with the front sight filed down.

I have a S&W Performance Center 629 w/2.6” barrel. There are no Alaskan hunting or fishing trips in my foreseeable future so I am fine with this. If I felt I needed more than this I would take a rifle.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is that the recoil from the 500 is just too much to allow any resonable attempt at a follow up shot or shots. Follow up shots with a full house .44 Magnum are no piece of cake...let alone with the heroic recoil from the 500. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 726 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sixgunner455
posted Hide Post
I have fired exactly 1 .500 round from a Ruger Alaskan, and stated at the time that if ever I was foolish enough to do it again, there would be a bear chewing on me or someone I liked before it happened.

I fired 3 rounds of .44 Magnum 240gr factory loads from a model 29 6” before I unloaded the rest and declined shooting more. It may have been partly to do with the grips on it, but I didn’t like it much. Nice gun, stuff I hit with it busted up in a satisfying manner.

Finally got a large frame revolver of my own a while back - a 28 in .357. Big enough for me.

Posts: 1685 | Location: Here be Dragons! | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodfac:
My guess is that the recoil from the 500 is just too much to allow any resonable attempt at a follow up shot or shots.

That too is person specific. I once shot a wounded boar with my single action 500 Linebaugh* as it ran at/by me. I lead it too much with the first one and missed. The follow up shot hitting it in the neck killing it. The two people I was with and in truth, myself.. were all impressed and surprised how quickly those two shots came. lol

*(a .512" 465gr bullet at 1350 fps (which in all honesty was too hot of a load pressure wise))

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5F71SPRFr_Y" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I tried .454Casull once. Just once.

Freedom Arms revolver also.

It took me more like 30 seconds to fire all 5 rounds.

The group size was decent- 4.5" spread maximum at 10 yards, but I hated it.

Decided .44mag was the most I wanted to shoot, as more just wasn't 'fun' for me- even if I could hit what I aimed at [as long as it wasn't rushing me].

My hat is off to that last guy- speed AND good groups! WOW!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post