SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why does everyone recommend .44 MAG, and no mention of S+W .500 , in bear threads?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why does everyone recommend .44 MAG, and no mention of S+W .500 , in bear threads? Login/Join 
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy the “bear gun” threads. They pop up every year or so. So far in this thread I have seen no jokes about taking a .22 or a revolver with the front sight filed down.

I have a S&W Performance Center 629 w/2.6” barrel. There are no Alaskan hunting or fishing trips in my foreseeable future so I am fine with this. If I felt I needed more than this I would take a rifle.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”

Posts: 451 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is that the recoil from the 500 is just too much to allow any resonable attempt at a follow up shot or shots. Follow up shots with a full house .44 Magnum are no piece of cake...let alone with the heroic recoil from the 500. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights through and by the sacrifice of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 593 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post