SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A Ruger New Single Six
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Ruger New Single Six Login/Join 
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted
This well worn little fella followed me home. 1981 vintage, .22LR goodness. 100 rounds through it so far at the range. Smooth and accurate despite the patina. Very happy to have this in my collection.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice! i've been wanting to try a single action .22

Paul Wright

Posts: 9 | Registered: October 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Great guns. Did it come with both cylinders?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Negative. Just the .22LR one.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Nice addition to the collection. My dad has a Single Six Convertible that he inherited from my grandpa and it’s a sweet little pistol. Hope it serves you well.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Fun to make tin cans dance with that cool Ruger.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're a lot of fun, and way more accurate than they get credit for. We've had several here over the years, lost one to a druggie break-in, but the others are still around. Great guns for teaching new-shooters, and refining the basics with older ones too.

Your's looks a bit like our long lost 3-screw...about in the same condition, but every bit as accurate as the day it left the factory. I always like the signs of wear, holster etc., that adorn a well-used handgun...it speaks volumes if you listen, while cleaning it seated around a campfire. Where's it been...what's it seen. How many kids, wives, and grammas have enjoyed kicking some tin cans down the slope with its 40 grain pills...

Recently I picked up a 5.5" bbl'd model in .32 H&R that'a a tack driver like its .22LR cousins. For a trail/camp gun, either caliber is hard to beat...in your case, I doubt you'll ever miss the .22 Magnum cylinder. We've had a cpl that were convertibles, but rarely if ever used the Magnums...more expense, little add'l smack for coons, crows, woodchucks etc., here on our farm. For the chucks, you really need a .32 or .357 to be sure of quick clean kills.

Hope these meanderings suit you. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Ruger Single Six old model with both cylinders was my first gun purchase. That was over 60 years and 100 or so guns ago. I still have it in the original box. Somewhere along the line, I lost the little red bag with the yellow drawstring for the second cylinder but in a perfect example of "you can get anything on the internet", there is a guy making perfect replacements. Unbelievable !

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're great for plinking or woods carry. Not target guns, but I've killed a good bit of small game at reasonable ranges with them over the years.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Good deal, a lot of folks over on the Ruger forum.com really like the Single Six... I've got one and was not overly impressed for the simple reason too hard to load.... putting those indibidy bullets in that little hole one at a time. Just me I guess, I like my Mark III a lot better.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I've got one and was not overly impressed for the simple reason too hard to load.... putting those indibidy bullets in that little hole one at a time. Just me I guess, I like my Mark III a lot better.

That's a good point. Another reason why I like them for a hunting gun, but not extended range sessions.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped in at a Gun shop just a few years back and he had a mint old model 4/5.8 barrel 3 screw with the ex cyl , in red bag for for like 329 . I jumped right on it . I did not get the box .,

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
They ARE nice. I had the base model briefly, swapped it for the Target model so I could mount a red dot.

My favorite target for it is clay pigeons standing on edge against a bank. Get back 15 or 20 yards, steady my forearms over the bed of the truck and smoke 'em all day.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Those are great little guns...and built like tanks. I'd take a well-used Ruger like yours over a brand new Heritage any day of the week. There's just something about the heft and build quality of the Ruger that speaks to me. I've eradicated more varmints with my single-six than any other gun I own. It's a fun plinker, too.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent many thousands of rounds with the boys shooting the Single Six and various other Rugers (bearcat, etc) as they were growing up.

The bearcat was good for a few cylinders before rounds wouldn't hardly slide in or extract, and a LOT of misfires due to light primer indentations. Turn the round a little, try again, almost always went off.

The single six made more sense when transitioning to another single action revolver; not many shoot them outside of the cowboy action guys, and those of us who have always shot them.

I still have my single six. One of the boys will get it, one day.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Here's mine.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a beautiful 10 round one at LGS recently...I had to drag myself away from it...

Posts: 114 | Location: NJ | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post