SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I Want to Hear from Both Sides: .40 S&W vs. .357 SIG
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Want to Hear from Both Sides: .40 S&W vs. .357 SIG Login/Join 
posted
I have a dilemma, and am new to both of these calibers. Now, that I have a Sig in each, I am considering whether or not to buy the accompanying barrel for the two. (My P229 has a .40 bbl. and my P226 has the .357 SIG bbl.).

I bought an economy pack of .40 S&W yesterday and began to realize why I got such a sweet deal on the P226 when I couldn’t find a comparable deal on .357 SIG ammo. What the...?!

I’ve wanted to get into handloading for some time so, this might be the motivation.

Please share any experience you have... preferences, dislikes, etc.

Thanks, everyone!

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sweet looking Sigs.

As for me, I like to shoot a few rounds of whatever is on sale.

The only way you can tell which works best for you would be to squeeze off a few hundred rounds of each. Then decide for yourself what fits you best and if it is a big enough difference to justify the additional cost of the barrel(s).

Not sure if reloading the bottleneck case of the 357 Sig would be a good round to start with.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My first Sig experience was with a 40SW P239.
I bought a 9mm P320 & converted it to 357Sig, no complaints other than ammo costs. Quite a fireball at an indoor range.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ponder this:

THE .357 SIG IS A FLATTER SHOOTING CARTRIDGE THAN THE .40 S&W.

If you want to look up the ballistics of various offerings from several manufacturers, be my guest. There is a ton of information out there comparing different load formulas. The bottom line is, if you are going to be in a situation where you need to reach out a little farther, the .357 Sig has more accuracy at longer ranges. It also retains energy at those longer ranges so it hits harder at 100 yards than the 9mm does at the muzzle. I could see why some law enforcement agencies preferred this.

THE .357 SIG HAS BETTER PENETRATION THROUGH BARRIERS.

In a situation where you would have to bust through a windshield or car door, the .357 Sig has performed better in tests. In some cases substantially better.

THE .357 SIG FEEDS BETTER.

The tapered shape of the cartridge is perfect for feeding from a magazine in a semi-auto pistol. You don’t want your everyday carry to jam during a life and death encounter.

So with all this going for it, why doesn’t everyone chuck the .40’s and switch to the .357 Sig? Because no cartridge is perfect.

THE .357 SIG IS MORE EXPENSIVE TO SHOOT.

Personally, if I had low mag capacity, Id opt towards the 357Sig...It’s also easier on the hardware

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! You guys are quick with great responses... Thank you!

I’ll be shooting them both, soon. ‘Can’t wait!
The DA trigger on the 1995 P229 is so smooth! The P226 needs to be shot to improve a little.

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both and enjoy both. I should say that I have and shoot all common pistol calibers, and enjoy 9mm and .40 the most. I really like my p239 and sp2340 chambered in 357 sig, but cost keeps me from shooting them as often as I would like. Same with my glocks in .45acp.... too expensive.

I reload 9mm and .40, so that's what I shoot the most. Another disclaimer is that the law enforcement agency I am employed by allows me to shoot 100 rounds of .40 a week on their dime through my duty gun.

All of that being said, my vote is for .40. It's a solid round that isn't getting much love lately.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have both in Glocks did have them in sigs in the 229 platform. the only way I can justify having the .357 sig is that I reload and since I reload 9mm as well it makes it very convenient to just buy one bullet for both rounds.
The 357 is like a 9mm that is turbocharged it just a very hard hitting fast ,flat shooting round, it goes right thru stuff the 40 and 9 wont.

I like the .40 it's cheaper to shoot if you buy ammo then the .357sig it has a heavier bullet weight if that matters. if another ammogeaden strikes again it usually is the last on the shelves. they both have their place but if I had to choose one it would be the .357sig

That being said, I shoot lots of 9mm out of a G19 G43x and a 365sig. guns are a funny deal you want to buy them all and most of us do who have been here awhile. I personally have gone the full circle started with a 9 tried every caliber, and now for the most part I'm back to 9 mm.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of largebore1
posted Hide Post
I've had a P229 Elite Dark since 2013. Bought it in .40S&W always planned on getting the .357 barrel and the 9mm conversion kit for it, finally bought them a year or so ago.
I've always loved the .40 caliber have a CZ P-06 also in .40 and shot 1000's of rounds with them.
The .357 barrel drops right in and I've shot 1500 rounds so far. As far as the ammo being expensive it's true if you don't reload buying in bulk is going to get you a better price but it's still expensive.
The 9mm conversion kit lets me shoot a cheaper ammo. I've gone thru 2000 rounds. It is such a soft shooter in 9mm and very accurate.
You should get the .357 barrel and the 9mm conversion kit you won't regret it I haven't.

THERE'S NO EXHILARATION LIKE ACCELERATION

Posts: 41 | Location: South | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Started with the 40 cal then bought 357 Sig barrel. Found I liked the 357 Sig better and for my purposes had better ballistics. Haven't fired a 40 in years.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Before I got my P220/10, my EDC was a P226/357.

I love the round.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
A few years back, I was thoroughly enjoying a .40 SIG P229 when I started reading on these very pages about .357 SIG. Intrigued, I soon purchased a .357 barrel from a member...and never looked back! Well...almost never.

I really enjoyed .357 SIG. Locally, I could find ammo easily (though, indeed, it was a bit more expensive than .40) But it was SO much fun! Accurate, easy shooting, and a very satisfying report to boot.

About the time of the Sandy Hook shooting, I believe, .357 SIG ammo (like most calibers) dried-up locally. The difference was that it never seemed to bounce back.

I got reacquainted with .40 and found it (again) to not be a bad round at all...started shooting a good bit of it again for a time, before migrating to 9mm Glocks and 1911s in .45ACP.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I have a .40 barrel for my 357 P-229, I never use it.
I have a .40 barrel for my 357 HK P-2000SK, I never use it.
I just got a P-226ST in 357, and thought "I'll need a .40 barrel for it", but I think I'll just use the money that I would spend on the barrel, and buy ammo.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never shot .357 sig, so can't comment.

I have 1 .40 caliber pistol and sold it's identical twin in 9mm. I like shooting it once in a blue moon. Which is about once a year.

That being said, the only additional barrel for either of the two pistols you have I'd consider getting is a 9mm barrel!!!!!!!!!!! Cheap shooting, enough recoil to be fun, soft shooting enough to shoot 300 rounds at a range session, and etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most .40 pistols will do .357 using the same magazines, and will also take 9mm conversion barrels, enabling a lot of less expensive shooting with the pistol. It can be shot in .40 until the cows come home, and carried with .357, still able to shoot a lot with lower cost. Less .357 shooting required.

I carry a G32 quite a bit, but I do more shooting with a G19; the same G32 pistol can be shot with .40, 9mm, or .357 Sig barrels. Ideally, one would shoot all 357 Sig if that's what's being carried, but that's not realistic for the cost, and there's a lot to be gained from shooting the 9X19 and .40 out of it, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The .357 Sig has superior ballistics over the .40 S&W. I have not invested in it due to cost. I have a 239, a P250 and a P229, all in 40. I plink / practice with Federal 180 gr American Eagle FMJ. My carry load is Underwood 180 gr bonded HP, which juices up the .40 nicely.
I am considering a .357 barrel for the 229.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 40 cal . ammo is cheaper ,and the Gold DOT , and fed HST is very good stuff . ammo is every where . yes 357 is flatter but you don`t shoot 50yard or more with this type gun anyway . Go 40.

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
I would go with the 40 cal . ammo is cheaper ,and the Gold DOT , and fed HST is very good stuff . ammo is every where . yes 357 is flatter but you don`t shoot 50yard or more with this type gun anyway . Go 40.

he already has both!!! he was just asking for pro's and con's.

fyi there is 357 sig ammo in the classifieds that is police trade in for 12 a box. so maybe stock up. yes 357 sig is more expensive but you can get the occasinal good deal that equals it out with a little forethought!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We were a .40 agency until 2008. We’ve been 357 since.

I have SIGs, Glocks and HKs in 357SIG. The only .40 I have is my old issued Glock 22 which hasn’t been shot since 2008.

Yes it’s more expensive but it’s been my goto caliber since ??? Whenever HK released the USP Compact in 357 which is my first 357 gun.
I got tired of buying my own ammo so when I got the chance to switch calibers at work I switched the whole department over.

Every round has it’s pros and cons. You have to weigh the options as it pertains to you.

My one thing I always tell people when they ask why 357 is:

Put this body armor on. I’m going to shoot you with 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp and 357SIG.
You tell me which one you’d prefer if you had to shoot someone with body armor on.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triaxle:
yes 357 is flatter but you don`t shoot 50yard or more with this type gun anyway .

Why not?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was always a 9mm person both due to the military and Law Enforcement. So naturally I just bought what I knew.

I was first introduced to the .40 when I left my first agency and went to the County Sheriffs Office. That was also my first introduction to the P229. I owned a P228 and shot a friend of mines p226 (9mm) but I have never shot a P229.

I fell in love with both the cartridge and pistol and I have never looked back.

With in the last two years I have started shooting .357sig. I even bought a barrel from a forum member. I still favor the .40 but I am shooting the .357sig more. Especially due to the fact that my last agency had about 1000 rounds in the supply room and was getting rid of it.

The only problem I have with the .357sig round is that I am discovering that HK, M&P, FN etc.. has discontinued their .357sig line. (Unless I am just not doing the right research)

I am a .40 die hard fan, and I am still looking for a .40 in P226 (When i get the money).

I realize that the .40 is falling by the wayside and their is a good chance that whatever agency I get hired on with will be 9mm or .45ACP.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post