SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Holy grail' of guns made: Company sells $4.5M pistols made from 4.5-billion-year-old meteorological
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy grail' of guns made: Company sells $4.5M pistols made from 4.5-billion-year-old meteorological Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Talk about out of this world.

Cabot Guns, a high-end weapons company, is selling the most expensive guns ever made, a pair of handguns made from a 4.5 billion-year-old meteorite, SWNS reports. The pair is priced at $4.5 million.

Known as the "Big Bang Pistol Set," the guns were forged from metals found in the Gibeon meteorite, which fell in Namibia and is named for the nearest town after it was discovered in 1836 by English captain J. E. Alexander.

Rob Bianchin, founder and president of Indiana-based Cabot Guns, said the guns have received plenty of attention for how they were made.

"I have been told by many collectors and experts that The Big Bang Pistol set are the 'holy grail' of collectable firearms," Bianchin said in comments obtained by SWNS. "These will be the crown jewel of any collection — they will appeal to both firearm collectors as well as those fascinated with space and engineering."

Bianchin noted that, "Gibeon meteorite [metals] exhibit the most desirable crystalline pattern and are the most desired of all iron meteorites."

Other items have been made from the Gibeon meteorite, including rings, bracelets and earrings.

The M1911 military-style pistols, similar to weapons used in WWI and WWII, are coated with a tanned-metallic rock and have the "Widmanstätten" on it. They are said to be attracting interest from far and wide, including a "hedge fund billionaire, a tech mogul, an industrialist and a royal."

"Man has been crafting weapons since the dawn of time, it predates speech," Bianchin said. "I don't believe anything more outrageous or complex in a pistol can trump this."

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Meteorites are nickel and iron, and brittle.
So exactly how do they forge a frame from an inferior material?
Those guns look acid etched to look "crystalline".

The only parts that even look genuine are the grips.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do you have layaway?

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I've never met anyone running one of their guns. I'm no Miculek, but I've met someone running an example of most other prominent makers.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Do you have layaway?

Dude, use yer credit card. Think of the bonus points and airline miles you'll earn.

Certainly you've received the robo calls which promote credit cards with high limits and low interest rates. Just the ticket for that early 2018 Christmas present.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Mmm.

Call me skeptical of anything newly made, that is instantly "collectible."

Now, I like engineering, machining, craftsmanship, and firearms. But those are silly.

Those will be status symbol paperweights of the idle rich, and they can have them.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like they commissioned three 'Big Bang' knives that featured scales made from the meteorite that were a bit more in the reach of middle class knuckle-draggers.

$10,000 each, sold out though. Red Face

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1935 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Normally, I like Cabot's guns, but this one is a swing and a miss for me. Not sure what I was expecting for the price, but this reminds me more of the "We The People" Sig 1911 than a high-end set of 1911s.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the payment would be for 30 years.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Two questions:

Is it too late to get personalized serial numbers?

I think the grips look like shit. Can I get an upgrade?

Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

The only parts that even look genuine are the grips.

Pallasites are brittle, iron meteorites are not, the Gibeon meteorite should be pretty solid. I would think that they were milled rather than forged most likely.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I've never met anyone running one of their guns. I'm no Miculek, but I've met someone running an example of most other prominent makers.

Well, maybe I should introduce myself. I have a Cabot and it is one fine example of a 1911.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Well at least the pair are only 1/10 the price of a used Ferrari 250 GTO...

Such a smokin' deal in that context. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
You could display then on either side of your gold plated AK. It would make a really classic tableau.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW! A 1911 that's really outta this world.

Oy vey. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Love that trigger. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^ That's IT??? What a waste of good meteor material.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
If I didn't know about Cabot guns, and saw this in a pile of used crap guns, I'd go on to the next barrel.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have matching 4.6 billion year old dirt under my grass, front yard and back...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Well, that’s pretty cool, but I’m still waiting to see how they managed to turn the weather from the time of the formation of the earth into a gun.

Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post