SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Talk me out of an SD9 VE. (I can't tell if they are quality, or junk)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of an SD9 VE. (I can't tell if they are quality, or junk) Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
So, I notice that Apex has an SD9 VE kit now. That's a huge plus. But I'm seeing mixed reviews on the SD9 VE. Everything from "they are a well kept secret" to "it's pot metal junk."

Looking for a plinker and/or truck gun. Would likely go APEX right away, so the entire thing would be about $270 for the gun plus another $55 for the Apex, and includes 2 mags for the price.

As a side note Apex has a positive article about the SDVE series. They love them. But again, they are selling things, so maybe some bias there, not sure.

On the negative side, I can't find any government agencies world-wide that have adopted this gun, which may or may not mean anything, but I always feel more comfortable with a gun after I find out that some Police or Mil agency has adopted it since they likely tested it at least somewhat.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I don't think S&W pitches the SD line to LE / military. The have the, ahem, Military and Police line for that.

I haven't heard anything bad about these guns, outside of the trigger. I've handled / dry fired them, and don't find the trigger problematic for a gun at that price. Of course, if you're going to Apex it, the factory trigger is irrelevant. I haven't heard of reliability issues.

Before the M&P 2.0 Compact line came out, the SDVE line was Smith's most direct competitor to the Glock 19 (right down to the plastic dovetail protector sights), at least size-wise. Now that the 2.0 Compact is out, and is available at really good prices, I'm not sure that the savings on the SDVE is worth it, especially if you feel the need to do the trigger.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At $325 I just don't see it. You can get an APX for about $375 before $100 rebate or an M&P 2.0 Compact for about $360 shipped. Both are better guns.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one and it never missed a beat , They make a good truck gun and you can conceal one very well .I still see them for around 279 on sale , good gun for the money.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current SD9 VE is the 5th generation of this design. All the bugs were worked out a long time ago. It is a quality gun that only seems 2nd rate because S&W also has the M&P line. The only complaint is the heavier trigger weight compared to most other striker fired pistols. But trigger opinions are personal and the trigger is light for people who have experience shooting revolvers.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just find a cheap M&P 2.0 of some flavor.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I owned an SD40 before the VE line was introduced. It was a decent gun for the money and definitely not junk. Some think it is a renamed Sigma, but it is not.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I worked on one for a coworker, and it's purposely designed to be low cost. While there is nothing wrong with it and his functions well (he had bent a slide catch spring), I'd question why not spending a few more hundred dollars for some additional features considering it (firearm) will last you a lifetime...or more. Buy once, cry once sort of deal. Anyway, they are not bad.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
You can get a Canik TP9 series gun such as the TP9SF for under $300, and it will still have a better trigger than the SD9 w/ Apex or even M&P 2.0. It also been put through Mil/LE trials and is current issue to Mil/LE forces in Turkey, if not elsewhere.

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/pi...inalists-danish-army

There's also the Taurus G2C/PT111 Millenium for right around $200, sometimes less than $200 brand new depending on promotions. It is one of if not Taurus's best seller.

If you prefer a metal frame/hammer-fired pistol, you should be able to find something like a used Canik/Tristar C100 (CZ 75 Compact clone) or T100 (Baby Eagle clone) for under $300. Both have been around a long time and been proven reliable.

quote:
Originally posted by huskerlrrp:
I'd question why not spending a few more hundred dollars... Buy once, cry once sort of deal.

When people talk of "truck guns", they are talking about something semi-disposable that won't bother them much if it gets stolen out of their vehicle.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I don't think the SD9E would be a bad way to go but I am seeing new original M&P 9MM selling for $310 or so including the M&P9C. If you can find a nice used SIG SP2022 that would be an excellent choice too and I am seeing used ones for close to $300.

https://grabagun.com/sw-m-p-co...12r-wo-il-wo-md.html

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I used to have one. sold it, not a bad gun, but even with trigger work, i would still take an M&P 9 for $320

https://grabagun.com/sw-m-p-4-...-b-17r-wo-il-md.html

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one new in 2005. It was my first pistol larger than .22. I put 6000 rounds through it without a malfunction and about 9000 rounds when I traded it for a 1911. The gun actually had a great feel, great ergonomics, great balance and good sites. The trigger was god awefully heavy. Had great magazine capacity. Since it was a range gun, at the time there was 1 (of 2) springs you could take out of the trigger to lighten it up considerably. It's a tough call because honestly an M+P really isn't that much more money and it's a better platform and gun. Afghan military adopted them and they were supplied by the US military. CDNN has them really cheap at times too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have debated the SD9 VE 'just because'- as it is so inexpensive.

Here is my understanding of it:

It goes 'bang' as reliably as an M&P.
IF you do YOUR part, it will put 10+ rounds into a 6" circle at 15 yards- which means it will save your life.
It 'may' do better, but it isn't a bullseye gun- it is a self-defense [SD] gun.
It is cheaper than the M&P because- non-adjustable grips, Trigger/Sear design/setup, etc.

As such, I would compare it more to a Gen 2 or 3 Glock than a Gen 4 or 5.

However, I decided not to for a slew of reasons.
The only one that was directly related to a characteristic of the gun was the trigger- specifically the long reset. I know APEX makes a trigger kit for them, but I just couldn't get past the length of the reset.

Even if cut in half, it felt like it would be where a Glock Gen 3 is with a factory glock ignition system.

Less expensive firearms can allow you to buy: A) more firearms, or B) more ammo, or C) a gift for the wife, or D) pay the car insurance that month.

I prefer options A or B, but your mileage may vary.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I've sold hundreds, possibly thousands of the SD line. Only ever had two come back for issues. For around $279 new, I don't think they can be beat.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Had a friend who had one, and got to shoot it both before and after the Apex trigger kit.

It is a much better gun with the Apex trigger. If I were seriously considering it, I'd factor in the cost of getting/installing the Apex kit when comparing to alternatives.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I've seen them go locally for as low as $239.
Plus, a few times a year S&W runs a rebate, so even at "full price" you can probably still save some money if you wait.
I've debated a few times about getting one when they are on sale, actually. But they are far from junk.

They are pretty solid guns, but the factory trigger does suck.
For $20 you can get the Apex SD spring kit, which makes a HUGE difference. (The $50 kit includes the Apex polymer trigger.)

I'd have zero problems recommending one to a friend who needed a pistol on a budget.

However, if you want a LEO/MIL-adopted pistol and don't mind used - used M&Ps/SIGs/Glocks in .40 are about the same price.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Sample size of 1, but my dad got one for my stepmom when she got her LTC & it's been trouble free.
I think he did put a spring kit of some sort in it which helped.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trigger will apparently give you a fit.

https://www.smithandwessonforu...ve-trigger-pull.html

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post