SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help me decide. Hogue aluminum or G10? Grayguns dual trigger or factory short? SRT kit?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decide. Hogue aluminum or G10? Grayguns dual trigger or factory short? SRT kit? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
So I'm looking to tweak my new P226 Combat. I want to replace the grips as they're just a tad wide and I want to replace the trigger.

I've always replaced my P-series triggers with Sig short triggers. But I'm thinking of trying out Bruce Gray's short reset trigger kit and his dual adjustable trigger. How does the short trigger compare to the dual adjustable trigger?

I tried to do some rapid fire with the new P226 but I caught myself not resetting the trigger a few times. I'm thinking the short reset trigger would really help here. I know I can just practice and get used to it, but I'm thinking the SRT kit would really help here.

And lastly, I'm torn between the Hogue aluminum and the G10's. I'd like something that I can grip really well but is still slim.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
And lastly, I'm torn between the Hogue aluminum and the G10's. I'd like something that I can grip really well but is still slim.

Aluminium can look cool and all, but it's also used for heat sinks in solid state electronics. Guess why? Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The G10s definitely fit the bill of grip really well and slim. Add in a 2 color scheme to match the Combat's looks. The Piranha G10s I put on my P6 are a lot thinner than the factory plastic ones.

The Grayguns trigger is IMO a perfect step in between the stock trigger and the short trigger. You will love the dual adjustable trigger and the SRT kit I'm sure.

I put a Sig SRT kit in my old P6 and was shocked how much it reduced the reset over stock. It also improved the the trigger as well,better sear machining is my guess, so the GGI Parts will be even better in that regard.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I've only had one gun with the skinny trigger and I swapped it out after the first range trip.

If you prefer them I would just start with one of those and a $45 SRT kit then go from there.

I installed an AC slightly curved adjustable trigger on my M11A1 and do like them.
I'll probably get a flat trigger for my 220 as those are kinda growing on me.
Definitely hooked on the SRT and will be putting that in the 220 as well.

I have large hands and use Hogue G10 grips on everything.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I really like the Hogue G10 black-gray Gmascus checkered grips that I put on my SIG X5, but they’re not particularly slim – no slimmer than the original polymer grips.

One thing that I wonder about with aluminum grips: if they’re dark colored, does the anodizing wear off, exposing the metal? Would look a bit tacky.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benny6,

I have both the Hogue checkered aluminum and the checkered G-10 on some of my pistols (226 and 220 are aluminum, 228 and 225 are G-10).

If I had it do to over again, I would go with all G-10. In fact, I may be changing the 226 and 220 to the G-10 if I find a sale or close-out somewhere.

Regards,

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Okay, G10's it is. I'll probably go for both Grayguns products.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have all three styles of Hogue G10 grips and prefer the Piranha G10s. And all my P series I had installed the Sig short trigger. But I tried the GG trigger and am in the process of changing all to the GG trigger. I also have the GG short reset on my P228 which I like better than the Sig short reset on my other P series Sigs.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My own P226 .40 has G10 checkered and GGI P-SPIT (now P-SAIT) trigger. The combo puts the trigger finger closer to the trigger face.The GGI trigger face also has a better contour than either Sig trigger and is more resistant to adverse side inputs.

My P229 .40 has the same setup. I've put skateboard tape on the front strap. That and the G10 back strap locks in the gun nicely under recoil.

Personally, I've never seen any difference with the SRT versus non-SRT for defensive shooting. IMHO, it's more technique than the reset distance. I will concede that perhaps with a 9mm and a skilled competition shooter there may be a difference. The gun still has to come down from recoil.

For the record, I've used the guns with std factory panels, E2 grips as well as the G10's (preferred). I've also used the Sig OEM std and short reach triggers on both pistols.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two SIG P229s rather than P226s. I have installed the SIG factory SRT kit sear and safety lever on both, and the Grayguns P-SAIT trigger on both. The P-SAIT trigger is now called the P22x CT Classic Standard Trigger.

The P-SAIT trigger appears to have the same trigger shoe contour as the newer Dual Adjustable Curved Trigger. It differs from the dual adjustable trigger by not having a pre-travel stop. It does have an over-travel stop and is $30 cheaper, the price having come down since the newer, fancier model came out.

I tried the SIG short or "reduced reach" trigger and didn't like it. Although it only pinched the flesh of my trigger finger once or twice, it felt like it was going to do so every shot. It did dramatically reduce trigger reach. That part was OK for the DA trigger, but it actually reduced the trigger reach too much in SA mode for my taste. I am assuming that the contour of the two Grayguns curved triggers is the same. They reduce the trigger reach only modestly compared to the stock P-series trigger, much less than the SIG short trigger. The contour is much nicer IMO than the SIG short trigger and even the classic P trigger with more radius on the sides of the trigger shoe. I am very happy with the triggers on my P229s.

The SRT kit will definitely reduce the reset distance very substantially. In fact, if you have a tendency to ride the reset a little too hard, you could find yourself breaking your second shot a little prematurely when practicing double taps. At least I had that experience a couple of times until I got used to it. If you are interested in rapid fire, the SRT should help.

I have Piranha G10 grips on one pistol and checkered black Hogue aluminum grips on the other. Both provide a pretty secure grip but the edge probably goes to the Piranhas. The texture on these grips is a bit less aggressive than the photos might suggest. In terms of overall comfort, I would give the edge to the G10s but I prefer the classic appearance of the aluminum grips.

If you are looking for the slimmest grip option, that would probably be provided by the E2 grip. I personally don't care much for them.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just installed the Gray Guns SRT and the hammer spring it came with into a P229 with G10 hogues.

The Gray Gun kit noticeably shortened the reset and the 19 lb main spring lightened the trigger pull. I would recommend it.

I also recommend the G10s they give a great grip. I've got them on a 229, 239 and 220. I find the G10s are nice and slim, but not too slim.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a Legion 226 that will get the dual adjust. My 229 has the SRT kit and will get the dual adjust trigger also. Have put G10 Damascus on the 229 also. Already have the dual adjust triggers.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
It’s weird.

On Sigs, I really like G10 grips.

For CZ, I’d rather have the aluminum grips.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The GrayGuns kits should serve you well. As for me, it is aluminum or walnut for me.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
G-10’s add sexy to the P226. SRT is a no brainer

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post