SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226, new, jamming...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226, new, jamming... Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Hey, my neighbor just bought a P226 and I took him out back to shoot. It kept jamming after 2 or 3 rounds. Seemed the round from the mag wasn't being chambered. Basically looked like it was pushed up against the bottom of the barrel and not sliding into the chamber. I tried my magazine from my P226 and same problem, so not the mag.

Could this just be break-in? I also noted it was very dry so I told him to lube it up. All my Sigs seemed more oiled when new. I don't know that I've ever even had a jam in my Sigs so this was confusing to me. Advice appreciated.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd tell him to clean it thoroughly and grease it good.
When I had Sigs, they ran better greased good.
If that doesn't work, I'd say a call to Sig.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clean, lube and then hand cycle some rounds

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I also noted it was very dry so I told him to lube it up.

The best advice possible. Classic line SIG pistols are very susceptible to malfunctions if not lubricated adequately. In all the years I and my agency used various Classic SIGs almost exclusively, I observed one gun that had continuing cycling malfunctions. That was a P220 that I had cleaned after being turned in, and which I deliberately left dry. When it was reissued I told the officer we were conducting an experiment with a pistol that wasn’t lubed properly, and guess what?

Yes, the answer is obvious. The gun had one malfunction after another. The cure? Lube on the outside of the barrel and the rails, and it functioned properly ever after throughout the time that officer had it and until it was sent back to SIG years later in exchange for the P320s my agency issues now.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with two different 229's. The first one I sent back to Sig and all they did was polish the feed ramp down to white metal. I did the same for the second one and both worked fine after that. The bluing on the factory feed ramp is not really polished that well and probably creates this problem.

Posts: 272 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
We Be Jammin'

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
Something is out of wack. Detail clean it and check the barrel and feed ramp for burrs.

All SIGs should work 100% out of the box.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not much to add, except to say that giving the feed ramp a good scrubbing (or two or three, if the cabin fever's getting to you) with your favorite solvent or cleaner and then rubbing it absolutely dry and clean with an old (clean) t-shirt is worth trying before going to the trouble of polishing it. Might not hurt to do the same to the chamber, breechface and interior of the extractor hook.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And what ammo are you using? I break in all my new guns with the 124 gr NATO spec ammo.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Only my opinion & limited experience. ...

Lube and ammo should not matter... it's a Sig P226.

My first question... New or Used?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It's a new gun. We were both using Blazer brass. It's all he could get since he just bought it last week and it's what I use or WWB depending on price for practice.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blazer Brass is my preferred target ammunition and I've never had a problem with it. I'd say it's not ammunition related probably.
I'm still in the camp of good cleaning and grease.
I never took a new Sig home and just shot it. Always cleaned and greased. Glock is a different story as they don't need a lot of lubrication.
I tortured(if you want to call it that) a G19 years ago running it dry. I didn't go to failure but I ran ~400 rounds through it and it didn't skip a beat.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
It's a new gun. We were both using Blazer brass. It's all he could get since he just bought it last week and it's what I use or WWB depending on price for practice.

I'd expect Blazer brass to cycle just fine, especially FMJ. I agree to strip, clean, and fire. There is no reason on this planet any new Sig should behave this way, given the price tag. Ever.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I'll report back once he cleans it and lubes it. I've given him the link for lubrication of Sigs. He's a firefighter so he will be at work the next few days.

Also, he used my mag and my ammo and had the same problem while I had no issues. So definitely not the ammo or mag.

These go to eleven.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

Drop on a Q-Tip guy?

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
... limited experience. ...

Evidently.

quote:

But should or not, it does.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winchester 124gr NATO ammo would be better for break-in than Blazer 115gr.
Get some NATO and get that pistol lubed.
It will run.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lube the heck out of it. Especially the frame rails. Sigs especially the alloy frame ones must be very well lubed.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only my opinion & limited experience. ...

Been addressed above. So, I'm not going to pound on you more. Big Grin

quote:
My first question... New or Used?

Should at least read the thread title. There's some clue, there. Wink

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've heard several times that all new Sigs must be cleaned and relubed. Reason: the factory lube is more of a preservative, and must be stripped off and replaced with the proper running grease.

My personal experience with new Sigs seems to bear this out. I forgot once, and sure enough the gun jammed left and right. Fortunately I brought lube to the range with me, and problem solved.

Anyone with input on this?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post