SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Let's talk about home gunsmithing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk about home gunsmithing Login/Join 
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I decided a couple decades ago to gain more proficiency in maintaining and repairing the various firearms I own.

I attended LE armorer certification courses through several manufacturers. I've worked with gunsmiths over the years and have learned what I could from them. Acquiring the right tools for each job and learning how best to employ them is essential. At every place I've lived over the last twenty plus years, I had a room dedicated and configured for working on my firearms.

I can do nearly any kind of work on an AR. I can do a fair bit of work on AKs. Glock and SIG pistols can be completely serviced. I have been slowly branching out into my other firearms as well. I can work on a number of other firearms types that I don't own. I install/adjust night sight on nearly all of my pistols.

Having a good understanding of ammunition and reloading is also handy knowledge to have, but that's another topic.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
WOW! You guys have done some very nice work. Especially liked that Krag.

I only do jobs in which I've become confident of producing a professional result. I admit I have ruined my share of, sometimes rather expensive, parts over the years in learning to do some of this stuff;( I have a small hobby type milling machine, blast cabinet, gunsmithing and armorers tools, books, armorer's manuals, etc. I've done a fair amount of pistol work,e.g., barrel fitting crowning, trigger work,milling for sights,parts fitting,dehorning, refinishing (stainless only since I have no ability to professionally blue parts),etc. I don't do any metal checkering, etc. "A mans got to know his limitations". I've been to some of the factory LE armorer's schools which helped me with basic understanding as to how the factory manufactures/fits/maintains/adjusts/repairs, etc.their guns. Since I'm a 1911 guy, I especially enjoyed multiple trips to the Colt O-Frame armorers classes.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I barely know which way the bullets go in. Anything more involved than cleaning is handled by someone smarter than me. I don't count ARs, since sliding pins to hold an assembled upper to an assembled lower is hardly worthy of being called assembly.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always taken the position if someone on the assembly line can put it together then I can too. So if its disassembly and reassembly (think things like getting rid of an s&w lock or glock trigger upgrade) I'm all in. If its actually shaping the metal I'm a maybe. Mill an 80% sure, ok that was easy. Checker something. nope, that probably has a learning curve. Like rock185 I've been to multiple armorers schools but really I could have learned the same from personal experience, it was just faster and more concentrated. And mods are not in the curriculum. As was stated above it can depend on the firearm. There is nothing I won't do to an AR or AK or Glock or Sig or HK or M9. But I'm a bit reluctant to realistically tackle some of my other stuff since I'm never sure if something I screw up can be obtained (think I'm not working on my X-5 Bruce is).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Mostly basic armorer's type work. Build AR's, swap parts in GLOCKS, 1911's, S&W M&P's. I don't tackle anything major that requires milling, grinding, drilling, etc.

Although, one of these days, I'd love to try building a 1911.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
All my stuff goes to Robert Burke. I want a professional gunsmith working on anything my life is going to depend upon. So in other words I suck at smithing Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy working on my own stuff.
I've done a few trigger jobs on my CZ's with the help of CGW and youtube and I'm very happy with my results.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on how much time I have, and which firearm it is.

In general, I have others do: serious machining, welding/brazing, refinishing, and work on SxS shotgun 'guts'.

I will have nightsights installed, but prefer to do my own sights unless nightsights.

If it requires a special tool that isn't worth it to me to buy/rent, I'll have it done [such as having straight bolt bent for scope use].

However, I do 90% of all the gunsmithing work on my own firearms.

I could write lists of the guns I've worked on and the project done, but that would be annoying. I did write it, but didn't like the way it looked.

So, I'll just state that I do most of my own work that doesn't involve heat sources or refinishing: from checkering of frontstraps through fitting rifle stocks [and refinishing them, to every task involved in building/fitting a Caspian frame to a Caspian slide to make my own 'race' 1911 [and similar depth of work to BHPs and some of my revolvers, to more 'basic' stuff.

I enjoy it, and my local gunsmith respects the work I do- which is the coolest part: when he shares tips and ideas with me [I learn a lot from our talks] and asks my insight on a gun he's working on [that has only happened 2 times].

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I'll do almost any armorer's work, trigger jobs (1911's especially), swap parts, drift sights, build an AR...I don't do machining (milling, turning, drilling for pins on AR gas blocks).

This.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post