SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone use the S&W Performance Center Gunsmithing service lately?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use the S&W Performance Center Gunsmithing service lately? Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted
I used the S&W Performance Center Gunsmithing service in the early 90's for an action job on an L-Frame. I was very happy with it.

But that was years ago, and I'm now thinking, What if I got their M&P action job? I notice it's $120 and listed as a service on their website. This would be for a 1.0 that has a horrid trigger.

(Or I could just get the Apex and either try to dink with it myself, or try to find someone local to do it since I have few tools, and expertise in this area)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My experience is revolver related, but what I hear is that the PC is a ghost of what it used to be. I'd buy the apex and install it myself. Probably save a lot of time and money in shipping.

S&W is sadly not what it used to be.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
My experience is revolver related, but what I hear is that the PC is a ghost of what it used to be. I'd buy the apex and install it myself. Probably save a lot of time and money in shipping.

S&W is sadly not what it used to be.

I have heard the same thing and would probably just ship the gun to Apex for a trigger job if I didn't want to install it myself rather than S+W.

My experience with S+W is: I sent in an enhanced 1911 government because it sheered the slide stop at 200 rounds.....I stuck another (forged) in versus sending it back and it sheered that one like 400 rounds later. So I sent it in with the initial pin for that. I also put on the note, quote me for a trigger job while the gun is there and I'd like it lighter and crisper...…. the gunsmith calls me and says, well I measured your trigger and it's 4.5 lbs and very crisp so I don't see a reason to do a trigger job on it. Well, it certainly wasn't that way when I sent it in!!!!!! But it did come back that way...….

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The Performance Center, established in 1991, no longer exists. It was located in an airplane hangar behind the main factory and staffed with talented gunsmiths - the last of which retired in 2014.

The current "Performamce center" is an assembly line in the main factory staffed by piecework animals. The products are standard production guns that get cosmetic modifications and wear the famous seal.

While the current production PC guns are chambered in the same calibers and wear the same famous logo as the REAL Performance Center guns made up until 2001, those are the only things they have in common.

The triggers on the current production "PC" guns suck. Gritty, heavy. We have regular production Ruger revolvers in our shop with better triggers than the PC revolvers we took in trade from disappointed customers who had purchased them (and they did not purchase them from us - we will not stock current production s&w revolvers. They do not meet our quality standards.)

And the owner has said as soon as we can dump the last two s&w "PC" 1911s there will ne no more of those ordered either. Triggers on the two pc 1911shave both vertical and horizontal play in them. Among other issues.

Disgraceful that they wear the same PC seal as my 45 CQBs, Shorty 45 MKII, Recon 9 and pre lock 586-5 L-comp.

Save your money and buy Dan Wessons, or areal custom piece. The Performance Center no longer exists. And I would never send ANYTHING to the current company posing as s&w. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
I had some luck with the current PC installing a new barrel on a circa 2000 Model 586 revolver last year. The new barrel is aligned properly, has the correct gap between the forcing cone and the cylinder, and is very accurate.

That revolver had a deeper finish, and the PC asked me how I wanted them to go about blending the two finishes (flatter black new barrel and the rest of the revolver) which they did well and to my specifications.

But I believe 18DAI is right; I suspect the current generation of production PC guns represent a little polishing and maybe some adjusting here and there -- nothing like the old days.

For a M&P 1.0, more fun and probably better results to go with Apex.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nostalgic topic for me. I live in Hartford area, 30 minutes from Smith. In the late 90's and early 2000-2007 or so used to drive up at lunch hour. If I had a PC gun needing attention (trigger job, sight change, etc..) they would literally pick up the phone at the front desk and say: " Performance center customer here" and a minute later Vito, Jim Ray , or one of the other Smiths comes out, takes my gun, I sit in the lounge for 45 minutes and I get it back perfectly done. When I had to leave a gun, they would call me: " Steve i am at my bench and just wanted to know how you want this refinished, how light do you want the trigger , so you want a high polish when I am done ?? Etc.. Etc.. " Lots of work on revolvers, gen 3 pistols, and several PC guns (CQB 4566, shorty 9, shorty 40, and others) over the years.
Many times it was all for zero charge or a small charge for parts.
I still buy Smiths now and then, mostly prelock revolvers but not real interested in the new plastic. Not anything wrong with them, just not my thing these days.
If I had a revolver issue in need of custom work i would bring it up to Smith and keep my fingers crossed. But I don't think the awesome master gunsmiths who took tremendous pride in their work back in the day are there anymore and sadly the competitive market just doesn't allow the customer attention that was common in the old days.
"Progress" i guess but the old PC is gone and is never coming back

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Apex stuff is fairly straightforward if you have basic detail stripping and minor gunsmithing skills. I've done a couple M&Ps and a couple Shields. Honestly on the M&P the hardest thing is getting the trigger pin back through the loop of the trigger spring a few times.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I know the performance center will not work on any revolver made before 1959 anymore,(pre model number).

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
The Performance Center, established in 1991, no longer exists. It was located in an airplane hangar behind the main factory and staffed with talented gunsmiths - the last of which retired in 2014.

The current "Performamce center" is an assembly line in the main factory staffed by piecework animals. The products are standard production guns that get cosmetic modifications and wear the famous seal.

While the current production PC guns are chambered in the same calibers and wear the same famous logo as the REAL Performance Center guns made up until 2001, those are the only things they have in common.

The triggers on the current production "PC" guns suck. Gritty, heavy. We have regular production Ruger revolvers in our shop with better triggers than the PC revolvers we took in trade from disappointed customers who had purchased them (and they did not purchase them from us - we will not stock current production s&w revolvers. They do not meet our quality standards.)

And the owner has said as soon as we can dump the last two s&w "PC" 1911s there will ne no more of those ordered either. Triggers on the two pc 1911shave both vertical and horizontal play in them. Among other issues.

Disgraceful that they wear the same PC seal as my 45 CQBs, Shorty 45 MKII, Recon 9 and pre lock 586-5 L-comp.

Save your money and buy Dan Wessons, or areal custom piece. The Performance Center no longer exists. And I would never send ANYTHING to the current company posing as s&w. Regards 18DAI

This is a really interesting and informative post.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post