SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What options are there to refinish a stainless steel 1911?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What options are there to refinish a stainless steel 1911? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I have a Kimber Series 1 Classic Stainless. It was carried for several years by a friend as his duty gun. Obviously, it shows honest wear. Outside of that, it is in outstanding condition. As such, I was wondering if there is a realistic option to bring it back to like new condition? Picture of the pistol (click on the image to enlarge). Thanks.
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert on bead blasting, but I would think you can just bead blast the gun again.

But if you are looking for alternative finishes, I am a big fan of H&M Metal Processing's Black Nitride finish.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You have a few options, it could be repolished, or taken to a matte, beadblasted, chromed, or coated also.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
you'd probably need to either polish it, bead blast it or cerakote it in a bright silver color. Maybe even a hard chrome or nickel finish like NP3 or something along those lines.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd rule out bead blast. I bead blasted two DW's that had some honest wear. Looked great for a short time, but that bead blast does not absorb a normal handling mark very well. I'm going to have mine redone as well, so I'll be following this while exploring options also.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bead blasting them, the bead blasting should last as the stainless is the metal the gun is made out of (not a coating). You could have it polished into a very shiny bbq gun. Or have one of the coatings on it like Ed Brown uses on stainless. I'd have it bead blasted.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've had stainless 1911s (re)beadblasted a few times. Works like a charm. Cheap, too, as far as finishes go.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned that I would like to bring it back to its original condition. In addition, who would you all recommend? Thx!

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I prefer a matte finish I like the results of bead blasting. Made a couple of beaten up S&W 3rd gens look like new.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Refinish however you would like. Options are nearly endless. Nickel Boron, nickel, nitride, hard chrome, Cerakote, gunkote, durakote etc... whatever floats your boat.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I should have mentioned that I would like to bring it back to its original condition. In addition, who would you all recommend? Thx!

Glenn has done several guns of mine. He does a really great job and in a timely manner.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Unless its full coverage matt finish, the flats would get satin polished while the round surfaces would be bead blasted. There are refinishers here in SIGforum who do quality work.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
brillo pad

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Look at Severns Custom's Hard Hat treatment. The boys at 1911 forum seem to favor that.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cherish as is carry and use add your own dings

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post