New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hudson H9 Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted
First photos... looks pretty front heavy, which should reduce recoil but I prefer a balanced pistol. Looking forward to tomorrow's Shot Show range reviews on this and other firearms.

http://www.recoilweb.com/recoi...revealed-121960.html

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
looks pretty front heavy

Yeah... Makes me wonder what's going on with the recoil spring system to require such a chunky fore-frame. That could be interesting.

But it's going to make most current weaponlights and lasers unusable, so they should have just left the rail off.

quote:
Looking forward to tomorrow's Shot Show range reviews

You're a week early. Range Day is the 16th.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Looks interesting. I appreciate the detail in the machining work but the dust cover just looks silly. I would have preferred a traditional no rail dust cover.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting, tag for posterity.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Woops. Thx for the correction.

I am curious as to the H9's recoil reduction system but the geometry will probably only appeal to hobbyists.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Interesting looking trigger, looks like an hybrid of the 1911 sliding trigger and Glock Safe Action Trigger but turned upside down. As Hudson used features from other guns I wonder if this is sufficient to avoid the risk of patent infringement.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
looks pretty front heavy

Yeah... Makes me wonder what's going on with the recoil spring system to require such a chunky fore-frame. That could be interesting.

But it's going to make most current weaponlights and lasers unusable, so they should have just left the rail off.

quote:

I suspect that it's a frame captured recoil system. As a result you can remove the slide and barrel without having to do anything about the recoil spring. Now, as to what the benefit of doing this is, I have not a clue. However one possibility is that there may be some rather sophisticated buffers in that system that would mitigate muzzle flip.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hmm...looking at that grip I've got a sneaky suspicion that this one will 'naturally' point REALLY low for me (said as I'm finishing cleaning my G23). The front of this gun looks like it should already have a laser or light built in. Unusual, I must say.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Based on the trigger design it looks as if the are going for a 1911esque straight pull. What I wonder is if they are going for a REALLY nice trigger pull. If so what I also wonder is are they playing a little loose with the great straight back trigger with no safety.

All in all though. I am intrigued. I mean it would have to be a lighting bolt sent from Zeus and hand delivers by John Browning with the blessing of Samuel Colt to even be a blip on the 1911/Glock radar. But I am intrigued. I actually like the shape and dig the all metal construction. May it not be another R51.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I also agree the recoil assembly is down in the frame/dust cover. Why? I don't know. Lower center of gravity? Some recoil voodoo/mojo they are trying to bring to the table???

One thing that this really drives home to me is how does an upstart manufacturer actually make a name and carve out a slice of the pie these days. Honestly the last one that I can think of that managed to do it was Kahr. Glock is really the only one that comes to mind as being a total outsider and managing to get a place at the table hell even at the head of the table with the big boys but they had a stellar product and a seemingly limitless amount of money for strippers and whores Wink.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I am guessing they're trying to lower the bore axis, thus, the recoil assembly is having to move forward and lower so the trigger/grip can come up close to the bore - hence unusual shape.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I am guessing they're trying to lower the bore axis, thus, the recoil assembly is having to move forward and lower so the trigger/grip can come up close to the bore - hence unusual shape.

This is correct. From their website
quote:
The H9’s unique design is not simply aesthetic. The unconventional nose of the pistol allows for the barrel and recoil spring to sit drastically lower and closer to the hand than heritage designs. This, coupled with its striker-fired design, creates an extremely low bore axis which reduces torque about the wrist when firing and contributes to unparalleled precision in the shot process.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Their website is now live. www.hudsonmfg.com

Details are still sparse, but there are some interesting tidbits:

-Steel frame.
-Dimensions and weight are roughly equivalent to a Commander-length 1911.
-15 round mags.
-Optional 1911-style thumb safeties - R/L/Ambi. (Possibly user-configurable?)
-Interchangeable backstraps in addition to interchangeable grips. (No word on how many options come with it from the factory, though.) Factory grips are VZ G10. Factory backstraps are Hogue G10.
-$1147 MSRP, so street price is probably just under $1k.

So basically a double-stack, striker-fired, 9mm Commander 1911, with a slightly lower bore axis.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
. . . just looks silly.
Looks is a poor way to judge a tool.

Remember, more than 30 years ago another company created a pistol many people thought (and many still do think it) looked silly, or even downright ugly, and it was/is a huge success.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Taser gun..

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I wrong or is that a very different barrel profile/lockup as well

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I dig it. Looks like a shooter, not sure if it would carry well especially when holster makers are slow to get one to mold from. That beavertail looks like it would dig into love handles really well.

Trijicon front sight, blacked out rear, serrations where people like them, checkering in all the right places, user configurable, striker fired style modernized double stack 1911.

They really went all out trying to merge aspects of different guns and common mods into one wunder-gun.

I'd love to see it with an XC1 and a red dot (ok, maybe not a red dot) to really see how it looks "modernized", as well as with WWI style 1911 checkered grips and safeties for the old school look. And how easy it is to go between them.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I'm curious if they took into account the modified HK roller lock system (aka Korriphila's lockup mechanism), which is now off-patent before creating what looks like an unbalanced pistol design. Would have made things more compact and streamlined.
I don't believe the frame is steel; rather its aluminum with a steel slide.

posted Hide Post
It's gonna be a hard sell at that price.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I diggin it as well. I actually like the look of it. -heavy steel gun to soak up recoil.
-super low bore axis
-trigger looks 1911ish.

This looks like a interesting blaster to me. Wink

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post