SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is the "average" lifespan of a p220 .45
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the "average" lifespan of a p220 .45 Login/Join 
posted
What is the "average" lifespan of a p220 with casual range usage, some carry? No competitions or abuse. The standard maintenance with good cleaning & lube after every range trip?
How many rounds can they be expected to handle before it "should" be sent into Sig for a thorough inspection? And does that include checks for micro-stress cracks, etc? I don't know the proper questions, sorry. I have a very well maintained p220 that I bought used from Cabela's over 10 years ago, in like-new visual condition & has run flawlessly with I don't know how many thousands of rounds through it (at least 2000-3000 per year). Other than the night sights needing to be replaced (gonna save for xray sights) does it ever need to be sent in? same question for my new 365? (I know it is a different animal.) but do I need to limit my range usage as it is so much smaller?

Posts: 47 | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
10 years, 2000 - 3000 rds a years. That's 25000 rds. Just changed NS? Have you changed the recoil spring at all?

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they still do it, but they used to offer the service to replace all the springs and inspect everything and install night sights for about $130. It was a killer deal on getting an older pistol checked out and up to speed if you were concerned

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Change the recoil spring every 3-5K rounds, lue the rails, and you'll be fine.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-shop/

SIG Service Plan (SSP):

SIG SAUER now offers a special service for used SIG SAUER pistols called the SIG Service Plan (SSP). When you buy a used pistol, whether it’s from a shooting buddy, a retail store or at a gun show, contact SIG SAUER Customer Service for shipping instructions. Then, ship your pistol to the factory for a complete cleaning and our “full service package” for just $144.95. This special offer includes installation of new SIGLITE Night Sights* – a $120 value. Our expert armorers will inspect your pistol top to bottom. Should your pistol show signs of misuse or damage caused by a previous owner, SIG SAUER’s armorers will advise you and offer cost-effective solutions to repair your pistol.

The SIG Service Plan includes*:

-Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide
-Complete detailed cleaning
-Expert factory inspection of all critical components
-Replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever)
-Reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications
-Installation of SIGLITE Factory Night Sights (excluding P232)
-Function test
-This service, valued at $225, is yours for just $144.95 and brings your used SIG SAUER pistol back to peak operational readiness.

Full Service Package:

Detailed stripping and complete and thorough cleaning of the entire pistol. Professional safety inspection of critical components by factory certified personnel. Replacement of springs prone to wear (trigger bar spring, slide catch lever spring, sear spring, mag catch spring, recoil spring, the mainspring, firing pin spring) and any needed small parts. Then lubrication to factory standards, reassembly and function testing. (Not available for 1911-22 or Mosquito models and the trigger bar spring and slide catch lever springs are not replaced on 238/938 models).

$84.95

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That package is still offered by Sig and is a great deal. Even if one wanted to self perform the work, you’d spend a decent bit of time & cost gathering all the various springs that Sig replaces in that detailed service - far beyond that included in the basic parts kit. And the turnaround time seems to average 7-10 days.

If I can easily outsource a task for $100 - especially one that would otherwise require me to do some prep learning & gathering - that decision is a no brainer.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking two questions here. The teaser in the header, and the question actually asked in the text. With any cleaning and routine care the lifespan to be expected exceeds yours and mine. Combined even. Guns are durable goods. A few actually break, but not many. Even those are repairable giving an indefinite life expectancy. About the only real threat to a quality manufactured firearm is political hacks.

The question about cleaning and preventive parts replacement was well answered earlier in this thread.

Life expectancy can be measured either in time or rounds fired. I'm guessing the metal in the better (not plastic) guns could easily be in the thousands of years. Given corrosion protection and keeping the gun out of the elements. We humans can only expect maybe 70 or 80 years (my mother is 99 and 2 months). With age sometimes comes wisdom, and us older fools tend to buy non-plastic or unproven guns. That'd be a good thread sometime, comparing age and the materials guns are made from. No, I don't own any plastic guns. Don't plan on it either.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I hope to live long enough to wear mine out. With casual use and proper maintenance it is indefinite

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I know it is well into the future, but I seem to recall Sig offering some real good fathers day sales on service work.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
We humans only know what we know. Plastic is a fairly new invention. We have no clue as to how long it will last, or what evils might befall it.

When I was young, a lifetime ago, plastic was new. Toys were made from it and it didn't matter much how long it lasted. No one expected our Christmas toys to last until next summer and surely not until next Christmas. We were mostly right but in some instances we still see a Fanner 50 at antique shows. I'm guessing the purity of the mix wasn't too good, nor did it matter for a short life span. Many guns were produced using a Damascus process that actually molded in impurities or voids. We're not told those guns aren't safe to shoot because the barrels may become unwrapped.

I have a Damascus knife or two. I don't take them out in the rain (hunting or fishing), but back when the process was new, no one gave it a second thought.

Chevrolet dash boards (or any other make) tend to check and crack, then split wide open. It only takes a few decades in the sun to achieve full destruction. No one predicted it when those products were new. We were even told that the expectancy was much better than the natural products like leather. If you see a crashed or abandoned car from that era, look at the plastic parts. If you can find them.

I have some Winchesters from the 1930s. The walnut is still holding up just fine, so is the steel. Same for my prewar 44 targets. For whatever reason, the materials seem to have held up pretty darn well. And I have a Randall #5-7" that is also doing quite well, antler handle and all. The sheath is still functional, but I have a replacement that I use.

Now how much confidence do we have in synthetic parts on the current fad guns? There are those who predict the plastic will last for some long length of time. They say that out of confidence that comes from trying to sell the guns, not from long experience in using them. They might be right, or they could be wrong. I don't know or care. But I'm putting my trust in steel, walnut, ivory, deer horn or whatever. Experience is on my side.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My agency issued P220s for about 20 years, and some of the oldest had been acquired used at the beginning of the period. I maintained them with thorough cleanings and periodic changing of the breechblock pins (on the older ones) and a few springs. During that period of a couple of dozen guns I replaced one broken trigger bar spring and one hammer reset spring. When the department decided to switch to P320s, all the P220s went back to SIG in serviceable, duty-ready condition.

The recommended maintenance schedule for SIG classic line handguns was evidently developed for the P220, and if it’s followed the guns may fail eventually, but that would be after a very long time.

As an aside, I don’t believe that any servicing by the factory involves technical examinations to discover “micro-stress cracks” or the like.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Late 1999 or early 2000 P220 here. After I bought it in 2012, it went immediately back to Sig for SSP. Since then, about 3K through it from me.
Wild ass guess of total round count: 7K+
I doubt I will actually wear it out. I swap out springs from time to time. And no +P ammo either.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you're implying a short service life for plastic guns, yes, some things are still to be seen. But the Glock 17 has been in service since 1982. Yes, this is not long in the history of guns. But 45+ years is long enough to see how this class of guns is likely to hold up in the long term.

Also plastic guns have one significant advantage over a lot of metal guns designed for carry. Metal carry guns tend to have aluminum alloy frames, to keep their weight to a reasonable level. In autoloaders, the slide is always steel (I've never heard of an aluminum slide.) So the rail wear is steel on aluminium. Steel is always going to win that contest. Good lubrication will forestall issues. But we've seen complaints about frame rail wear on hear before.

In plastic guns, the actual frame rails are almost always steel. So the plastic isn't getting any friction wear, and what friction wear there that happens is steel on steel. And in on a number of poly guns, the steel rails are pinned in and replaceable. Is see both of these factors as an advantage over aluminum framed guns. Of course the polymer itself may have a lifetime, and we don't really know what it is.

quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
We humans only know what we know. Plastic is a fairly new invention. We have no clue as to how long it will last, or what evils might befall it.

When I was young, a lifetime ago, plastic was new. Toys were made from it and it didn't matter much how long it lasted. No one expected our Christmas toys to last until next summer and surely not until next Christmas. We were mostly right but in some instances we still see a Fanner 50 at antique shows. I'm guessing the purity of the mix wasn't too good, nor did it matter for a short life span. Many guns were produced using a Damascus process that actually molded in impurities or voids. We're not told those guns aren't safe to shoot because the barrels may become unwrapped.

I have a Damascus knife or two. I don't take them out in the rain (hunting or fishing), but back when the process was new, no one gave it a second thought.

Chevrolet dash boards (or any other make) tend to check and crack, then split wide open. It only takes a few decades in the sun to achieve full destruction. No one predicted it when those products were new. We were even told that the expectancy was much better than the natural products like leather. If you see a crashed or abandoned car from that era, look at the plastic parts. If you can find them.

I have some Winchesters from the 1930s. The walnut is still holding up just fine, so is the steel. Same for my prewar 44 targets. For whatever reason, the materials seem to have held up pretty darn well. And I have a Randall #5-7" that is also doing quite well, antler handle and all. The sheath is still functional, but I have a replacement that I use.

Now how much confidence do we have in synthetic parts on the current fad guns? There are those who predict the plastic will last for some long length of time. They say that out of confidence that comes from trying to sell the guns, not from long experience in using them. They might be right, or they could be wrong. I don't know or care. But I'm putting my trust in steel, walnut, ivory, deer horn or whatever. Experience is on my side.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I carried the same 220 on duty from 1995 until it’s retirement in 2018. The weapon was coated in Birdsong and Associates Black-T in 2000. Thousands of rounds (I wish I had kept a log) and the following breakages:

Trigger bar

Breech block double roll pins (both fractured, but in different spots so it still held together)

Hammer return spring.

Factory routine maintenance was performed.

The frame was sent off for destruction but I was permitted to keep everything else. The slide to barrel mate is still solid and the gun performed as expected through its final qualification shoot. I detail inspected the frame prior to turning it in and there was zero visible damage anywhere on it. There was only negligible finish wear to the rails. I sorely miss that fine old triple serialed beastie.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15569 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is everyone so concerned with how long a Sig 220 will last? There are a lot of factors that control how long a gun will last, type of ammo, cleaning regiment, spring change regiment, the particular gun, and on and on.

That being said, a Sig P series should last somewhere between 25,000-60,000 rounds generally. BUT, why is everyone concerned about exactly how long a $800 gun will last. If you put 25,000 rounds of .45 ACP down range, you've spent $6000 on ammo, 50,000 rounds and you've spent $12,000 on ammo....some may last a lot longer, some may last a lot less........yeah, everyone wants everything they buy to last for ever. But a gun is a tool, made of metal, metal wears, and metal things wear out. I think a Government 1911 will last a lot more rounds than a SIG P220 due to it's all steel frame/slide/barrel.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without standardized long term durability testing of a decent sample this question simply cannot be addressed factually. I am unaware of any such testing for the P220. If someone knows of any post it please. I assume the original poster got that as we have quotes around average. I haven't shot a 220 extensively but I have shot several P series SIG's (similar but not exactly) to pretty big numbers like >50K in one case and >35K in another. But production and material changes can make a big difference in this kind of stuff. For example the service life of the P226 in the 1981 test was >10K. But in the 1984 test to improve its score in one area Sig introduced "mud rails" and two frames failed at 6523 and 7000 rounds. But those configurations are long gone in production as are folded slides and roll pins. In the new 10mm 220 version Bruce G says a prototype went 10K rounds of high power stuff and had only "minor wear".
I would fully expect a modern (meaning milled slide) well maintained P series pistol to go 100K rounds+ if you don't have some catastrophic event to the frame rails. If someone will supply the ammo I will gladly shoot several of my 220's to failure and we can see the numbers...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-shop/

SIG Service Plan (SSP):

SIG SAUER now offers a special service for used SIG SAUER pistols called the SIG Service Plan (SSP). When you buy a used pistol, whether it’s from a shooting buddy, a retail store or at a gun show, contact SIG SAUER Customer Service for shipping instructions. Then, ship your pistol to the factory for a complete cleaning and our “full service package” for just $144.95. This special offer includes installation of new SIGLITE Night Sights* – a $120 value. Our expert armorers will inspect your pistol top to bottom. Should your pistol show signs of misuse or damage caused by a previous owner, SIG SAUER’s armorers will advise you and offer cost-effective solutions to repair your pistol.

The SIG Service Plan includes*:

-Full disassembly of pistols down to frame and slide
-Complete detailed cleaning
-Expert factory inspection of all critical components
-Replacement of springs (recoil, slide catch lever, trigger bar, decocking lever)
-Reassembly and lubrication to factory specifications
-Installation of SIGLITE Factory Night Sights (excluding P232)
-Function test
-This service, valued at $225, is yours for just $144.95 and brings your used SIG SAUER pistol back to peak operational readiness.

Full Service Package:

Detailed stripping and complete and thorough cleaning of the entire pistol. Professional safety inspection of critical components by factory certified personnel. Replacement of springs prone to wear (trigger bar spring, slide catch lever spring, sear spring, mag catch spring, recoil spring, the mainspring, firing pin spring) and any needed small parts. Then lubrication to factory standards, reassembly and function testing. (Not available for 1911-22 or Mosquito models and the trigger bar spring and slide catch lever springs are not replaced on 238/938 models).

$84.95

They usually offer free shipping home around Father’s Day sweetening the deal even more.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Such a good thread, even with a misleading title.

First, Jimmy123 or whatever actually showed some common sense for a change. That alone should get this thread marked.

On the shooting life expectancy, we used to have a poster, back in the early years..., That had a thread that compared shooting histories. I read it because it looked at P210s. Those were expected to easily shoot 100,000 or more rounds before requiring help. But some shot more, like 200,000. Those were range guns in Europe. Lots of shots, and using Jimmy's logic, the ammo cost significantly more than the gun.

Make's me not worry. Oh, and they seem to fire sub machine gun ammo over there. Higher pressure. Probably more wear and tear.

And someone shot S&W M&Ps, the 38 special variety, that seemed to not be able to run to 100,000 rounds before becoming inoperable. They needed cleaning, springs, etc before coming back to life. Guess no one could afford the ammo.

Police agency experience may not be valid. Many of the gun users aren't gun guys. This forum is filled with gun guys. Your favorite police department will probably have experiences that won't transfer over to our members here.

I appreciate your love for your Glock xx. But I don't share it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I thought the frame life was about 40,000 rounds... Not actually all that hard to hit. Just 50 to 100 rounds per week can get you there in a few years.

Not a big deal, but something to keep track of.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post