SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking Build Date Info on 1994 P225
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking Build Date Info on 1994 P225 Login/Join 
posted
I'm attempting to narrow down the build date of a particular P225 that was built in 1994. Specifically, if it was built before or after Sept 15th of that year. The thread above with the sticky was very helpful, but I can't narrow it down to answer my question.

If someone has information (I.E. a serial number and a build date somewhere near September of that year) please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
B.

Posts: 7 | Location: North East | Registered: September 07, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
I'm attempting to narrow down the build date of a particular P225 that was built in 1994. Specifically, if it was built before or after Sept 15th of that year. The thread above with the sticky was very helpful, but I can't narrow it down to answer my question.

If someone has information (I.E. a serial number and a build date somewhere near September of that year) please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
B.

Not even SIG will be able to, or more correctly, may be willing to assist you on specific build dates on these old SIGs. So, unless you're the original owner and bought it at the time it was built, you are SOL.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Thanks in advance,
B.

Not even SIG will be able to, or more correctly, may be willing to assist you on specific build dates on these old SIGs. So, unless you're the original owner and bought it at the time it was built, you are SOL.

I am aware of their lack of help. Also, I disagree with the "SOL" if there is someone that knows the build date of theirs and it has a serial number close the one in question.

B.

Posts: 7 | Location: North East | Registered: September 07, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am aware of their lack of help. Also, I disagree with the "SOL" if there is someone that knows the build date of theirs and it has a serial number close the one in question.

B.

Then, you might try to contact lbaker45, since his P225s on the list are close to yours. Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:

B.

There are only two (2) KE coded P225's in our census (M 619xxx and M 621xxx) indicating low production numbers. In 1994, SIG did not print the "born on date" on their end labels though they ordinarily included a dated test target with each pistol. (I'm assuming your pistol is missing its test target.) If you could confirm a pre-September 15th test target date from a KE coded pistol with a serial number close to but higher than yours, you could possibly conclude your pistol was manufactured prior to that date. It will be next to impossible however to determine the exact build date of your pistol since there is no guarantee the pistols were test fired in sequential order. Complicating matters is the fact SIG produced pistols months - sometimes years - before releasing them to the commercial market. Minus the original test target, any determination is a best guess based upon the evidence you may gather. As for SIG having detailed production information, SOL seems fairly accurate. Good luck!

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:

B.

There are only two (2) KE coded P225's in our census (M 619xxx and M 621xxx) indicating low production numbers. In 1994, SIG did not print the "born on date" on their end labels though they ordinarily included a dated test target with each pistol. (I'm assuming your pistol is missing its test target.) If you could confirm a pre-September 15th test target date from a KE coded pistol with a serial number close to but higher than yours, you could possibly conclude your pistol was manufactured prior to that date. It will be next to impossible however to determine the exact build date of your pistol since there is no guarantee the pistols were test fired in sequential order. Complicating matters is the fact SIG produced pistols months - sometimes years - before releasing them to the commercial market. Minus the original test target, any determination is a best guess based upon the evidence you may gather. As for SIG having detailed production information, SOL seems fairly accurate. Good luck!

Please note that I'm not looking for 'absolute certainty' for an 'exact' build date. IF I was I would be out of luck, but I'm not looking for that. I'm only looking for just a 'most likely' built before or after a particular date. Again, IF someone has one with a S/N close AND they know the build date.....

B.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Why are you interested in narrowing the "build date" down?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Simply based on September being the 9th month of the year, you could say it's likely to have been before.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Thanks in advance,
B.

B.

Maybe you could post the S/N of your 'KE' P225 (sig. digits would really help) so we know what the target is.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

B.

I'm going to add to the consensus that the OP is basically SOL here....I just checked the test target for a 'KE' P225 and there is no field for the date on the target! Further, I checked all of my 'KE' W.German SIG's that I consider to be proofed/tested late in the 1994 production year and NONE of the targets have a date.

To clarify, early 1994 'KE' Sig's were shipped in a gray cardboard box and at some point, which varies depending on the model, SIG changed to the gray plastic case. As such, I'm considering all SIG pistols that came in a gray case later in the 1994 production year. While SIG's produced in earlier years were supplied with Test Targets the DID have a date field, based on my sampling, late 1994 'KE' W.German SIG's did NOT.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
P6's carry their build month on the slide. Problem is we have done a poor job of separating the 6's from the 225's on the serial list. But, if you provide a full serial, the membership may be able to get closer to an estimate. Also check the inside of your grips for a mold date. That may help.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you're new, I'll help. It was made on August 24, 1994, which was a Wednesday.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

I'm going to add to the consensus that the OP is basically SOL here....I just checked the test target for a 'KE' P225 and there is no field for the date on the target! Further, I checked all of my 'KE' W.German SIG's that I consider to be proofed/tested late in the 1994 production year and NONE of the targets have a date.

To clarify, early 1994 'KE' Sig's were shipped in a gray cardboard box and at some point, which varies depending on the model, SIG changed to the gray plastic case. As such, I'm considering all SIG pistols that came in a gray case later in the 1994 production year. While SIG's produced in earlier years were supplied with Test Targets the DID have a date field, based on my sampling, late 1994 'KE' W.German SIG's did NOT.

Thank you for the information and your time to post it. This 225 has a plastic case with no test target. I will see about what is on the grips because I have been told they have never been off.

To all the others that seem to be bothered so much by my question and or reason: If the serial number on the 225 in question was much closer to the starting number than the ending number than this thread would not have been posted.

quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Since you're new, I'll help. It was made on August 24, 1994, which was a Wednesday.

Yea, I was told there were lots of your kind on gun forums.

B.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please note that I'm not looking for 'absolute certainty' for an 'exact' build date.

B.

This is my point. Short of having a dated test target serial numbered to any KE P225 pistol (thanks nhracecraft), no one else is going to know the day or even the month their pistol was built either. And even if you did know the exact date a particular pistol with a serial number close to your gun was built - you would still be guessing whether or not your pistol was built before or after that date. Firearms manufacturers are notorious for doing weird things when it comes to production - not the least of which is assembling guns in non-sequential order.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Please note that I'm not looking for 'absolute certainty' for an 'exact' build date.

B.

This is my point. Short of having a dated test target serial numbered to any KE P225 pistol (thanks nhracecraft), no one else is going to know the day or even the month their pistol was built either. And even if you did know the exact date a particular pistol with a serial number close to your gun was built - you would still be guessing whether or not your pistol was built before or after that date. Firearms manufacturers are notorious for doing weird things when it comes to production - not the least of which is assembling guns in non-sequential order.

Thanks, I did not know that, and thanks for taking the time to reply. I can also assume that any dates on the grips will be nice to know but a fairly useless detail.

B.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
To all the others that seem to be bothered so much by my question and or reason: If the serial number on the 225 in question was much closer to the starting number than the ending number than this thread would not have been posted.

People are curious, not "bothered." If you want a specifically dated gun because that's just what you want, OK. But, if you know something we don't know, inquiring minds want to know.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:

Yea, I was told there were lots of your kind on gun forums.
B.

Mm. Buddy, if you're going to make sarcastic jokes, at least include a Wink or some indication you're not trying to be rude.

Colt will "letter" its guns, for a fee, often right down to the month it left the factory. Too bad not all manufacturers will do this.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is you're trying to tell if the gun is older than you or not. That's why you want before or after a specific date.

As someone already said, the best you're likely to find (sans test target date or such) is if the grips are original. Take them off and find the date dial code. The pistol won't have been made before that date.

And there's a lot of guys like you on boards, who join and then get snippy when people can't help as precisely as you want.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
BuddyChryst stow the attitude.

You're being that guy. We don't need that guy.

Arc.

SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
It´s not possible to track down manufacturing dates by day, week or month because manufacturing dates and proof are not the same.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will see about what is on the grips because I have been told they have never been off.

If taking off the grips is not what you want to do (or if you happen to be at a trade show and the seller would frown upon you taking his gun apart before someone buys it).

The frame has a oval shaped cutout to reduce overall weight. The date wheel stamping can be seen from the magwell without taking the grips off. Unfortunately it is very small. If you can shine a light from the slide, it may help you see better.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post