SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 Mec Gar Magazines: 18 vs 20 Rd. Which do you prefer, and why?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Mec Gar Magazines: 18 vs 20 Rd. Which do you prefer, and why? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

Just looking for some opinions on these two magazines from those who own or have owned both.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I have, have extensively used, and like both. The 18-rounders are a little more flush to the bottom of the pistol frame and are marginally easier to fit in magazine pouches. That's it. There's not enough difference in weight or balance to matter.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
P226 Mec Gar Magazines: 18 vs 20 Rd. Which do you prefer, and why?

Both are reliable. So, take that out of the equation.

Preference: 20-rounder. I don't carry the P226, so, just more capacity for range use. And, it's a good mag to load up 100 rds (= 5 mags). Weird, I know, but I don't like oddball number (like 17, 18, 19).

If I were carrying the P226, then I'd take the 18-rounder.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
I like the 18rd mags for mine. Flush fitting, easier for carry.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I prefer the flush fit 18 rounders. I have a wide collection of 15, 17, 18 and 20s. Some are really old, some are new.

My training magazines are all flush fit so I tend to gravitate toward the flush fit 18s.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
18's FTW! Flush-fit so one in the gun and a spare is 36+1 of firepower for no extra size. Not too shabby.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
18rd flush fitting metal base plates for me as well.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flush fit 18's

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
18 rounders for me.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Very timely post. I’m about to get a couple of 226s and wanted to verify the best flush fit mag.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I carry my 226s alot & prefer the 18 rounders. They’re not exactly a flush fit. The base plate sticks out, kinda like the mags on Glocks.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I prefer the flush fit 18rd mags in the gun itself. It makes it a bit smoother for carry. I put the 20s in my mag pouch.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
What’s a good price for them? Where?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
I like the look of the 18's and are easier to carry. I do use the 20's as range mags and spares for the "what if" moments. They are both good to go.

Posts: 953 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
What’s a good price for them? Where?

Greg Cote always has a good selection and great prices

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use both, but mainly the 18 rounders for USPSA competition. The flush fit allows my P226 to fit into the production division measuring box.

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
18 rounder in the pistol, and the 20 rounders as spares.

I prefer the extra length for reloads so as to not catch skin and gloves between the mag and mag well. The extra rounds are just gravy.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep a 226 with WML & a 20 rounder in a lock box as my go to pistol beside my bed and have 2 more 20 rounders as reloads. I keep another 226 loaded with an 18 rounder in a lock box at my office desk with a 20 and 18 rounder as roloaders.

I have never had any problems with any them. As others have stated the 18 rounders will fit fairly flush but I like the fact that 20 rounders will carry the 2 extra rounds plus you can not help but seat the mag in an emergency.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
When I carry my 226 WG, I have a Mec Gar 18 round in the gun, I just prefer the flush fit of the 18 rounder.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 18s because of the flush fit.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post