SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 Mec Gar Magazines: 18 vs 20 Rd. Which do you prefer, and why?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 Mec Gar Magazines: 18 vs 20 Rd. Which do you prefer, and why? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:
I use both, but mainly the 18 rounders for USPSA competition. The flush fit allows my P226 to fit into the production division measuring box.

You use 18 round mags in production?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
18rd flush fitting metal base plates for me as well.

I checked GregCote and I am only finding ones with Polymer baseplates?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
18rd flush fitting metal base plates for me as well.

I checked GregCote and I am only finding ones with Polymer baseplates?

The 18rd mags with the metal base plates have been out of production for quite a few years now.
I stocked up when they were a available. I have both the blued and nickled finishes.

Posts: 18032 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Mustang,

I believe you are referring to the 17 Rd. Mec Gars.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
Mustang,

I believe you are referring to the 17 Rd. Mec Gars.

The 17-rounder has the padded rubber stuck to the metal base.

Q

Posts: 26345 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I have several 17 rounders with plain metal base plates.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What can I get that is 17 or 18 round that has the same baseplate and profile as a stock mag?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Between the 18 or 20 I prefer to use the 18's at the range and I keep a 20 loaded in the house.

As for the 17 rounders I believe these have been discontinued by Mec-Gar and replaced with the 18's. Back in the day Mec-Gar made standard capacity and higher capacity for many popular guns. These higher capacity mags usually held two more rounds and used a short follower with no legs to fit them. They had a flush metal base plate and witness holes on the side usually noting 5, 10, and 17 rounds (if for the P226/B92). I have some for the B92 and P226. Then they went to their "Optimized" magazines with anti-friction coating that held 18 rounds. These have the witness holes in the rear with a hole for every round, have a slightly longer magazine body to accommodate a follower with legs, and a plastic base plate that sticks slightly below the frame. The plastic base plate covers the slightly longer magazine body. A factory flat base plate fill fit on these but you will see the exposed mag body. Personally I only consider the old 17 rounders with the metal base plate "flush fitting" but that it my opinion. Saying that I do prefer the 18 rounders as they seem to be better magazines. The old short followers had a tendency to tip and although they never caused any malfunctions I prefer the longer more stable follower.

The 20 rounders are just an 18 rounder with a Mec-Gar +2 on the base.

When I get home I'll snap some pics of the 17 and 18 rounders I have for my Berettas.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The 17s are still in current production. Here is a version with the old style rubber base pad.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/si...nsmvhhjbqbtiqbqj2ce1

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What can I get that is 17 or 18 round that has the same baseplate and profile as a stock mag?

Flat metal baseplate (lowest Profile) - Sig 15rd (made by Mecgar) stock or Mecgar 17rd

Slightly extended with plastic baseplate - Factory marked Sig 18rd stock or Mecgar 18rd (Same Mag)

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
These are listed on SIG's website as well.

SIG 17 Round Mags

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
These are listed on SIG's website as well.

SIG 17 Round Mags
Too funny, $23 from GregCoteLLC as MecGar made & branded, $60 from SIG as MecGar made and SIG branded! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The 17s are still in current production. Here is a version with the old style rubber base pad.

Awesome, thanks for posting it, I love the 17 rounders.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:

And those are the best, in my opinion. The rubber base pads are awesome.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Do you actually prefer these over the 18's?

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Do you actually prefer these over the 18's?

Yes I do. I think they index a little bit better.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
I prefer the 18 since they are flush fit and don’t have that big base plate.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello Everyone,

Just looking for some opinions on these two magazines from those who own or have owned both.

I prefer flush fit in the weapon and the extended capacity as backup mags. Both work great in my experience. We have sold a bunch of them over the years.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys I have been trying to get onto GregCoteLLC and cant get through. Any one else having issues

thanks

Officer Dave

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by officerdave:
Guys I have been trying to get onto GregCoteLLC and cant get through. Any one else having issues

thanks

Officer Dave

I’m on his site right now. No issues

Sig 20 round mag - $45
Sig 18 round mag - $25
Plus-2 adapter - $5

So I get my 20 round magazines for $30. Greg has them already assembled.
Linky

Posts: 96 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post