SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 Spring Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Spring Question Login/Join 
posted
Hi Folks, i am not a technical guy, and i know i should know this answer but i thought the knowledgeable folks here could just resolve the qestion for me.
I bought a couple replacement recoil springs from Wilson for a couple Dan Wesson 1911's i have been shooting alot. The factory weight on 1 of them is 22lbs. I ordered the Wilson 22lb. spring. It arrived, clearly marked 22lbs., but is about 2 coils shorter than the factory one that came with the pistol. Here is the question, can a 22lb. spring be of 2 different lengths ?? This could be a stupid question but just want to make sure i am using the proper spring weight.
Sorry if this belongs in a different thread/Topic thread
Thanks

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
Hi Folks, i am not a technical guy, and i know i should know this answer but i thought the knowledgeable folks here could just resolve the qestion for me.
I bought a couple replacement recoil springs from Wilson for a couple Dan Wesson 1911's i have been shooting alot. The factory weight on 1 of them is 22lbs. I ordered the Wilson 22lb. spring. It arrived, clearly marked 22lbs., but is about 2 coils shorter than the factory one that came with the pistol. Here is the question, can a 22lb. spring be of 2 different lengths ?? This could be a stupid question but just want to make sure i am using the proper spring weight.
Sorry if this belongs in a different thread/Topic thread
Thanks

I would say, why not ?
Wilson could be using a heavier gauge wire or his tempering is different to achieve the target 22lbs.
Wilson is a "1911 Guy" so the spring rating is most likely correct.

And then when you get really brain-damaged, you might get something like this...
https://atlasgunworks.com/prod...th-electronic-scale/

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I would say, why not ?
Wilson could be using a heavier gauge wire or his tempering is different to achieve the target 22lbs.
Wilson is a "1911 Guy" so the spring rating is most likely correct.

And then when you get really brain-damaged, you might get something like this...
https://atlasgunworks.com/prod...th-electronic-scale/[/QUOTE]

I agree ^

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I have a Wilson PN#10G22, for Full Size 1911, 22#spring weight.
I just took it out of the package and put it against the ruler. One end is a closed loop spring and the other end the spring is cut in mid twist. Measuring from the flat end of the closed loop to the very tip of the cut end it measures exactly 5 1/2 inches.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it. Mine measures same.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get tired of the way gun springs are marketed.

The spring constant "K" is measured in force per linear distance. So lbs/inch would be a much more descriptive weight. It is certainly possible for different length springs to have the same spring constant.

However, I suspect when Wilson (and others) say 22 lbs, they mean 22 lbs force to go from battery to slide lock. The pre-compression of the spring in battery is part of the total system of spring rate, free length, pre-load compression, and force to go from battery to slide lock. But then that leaves open the question of how much spring force there is when the slide is in battery.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post