SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Handgun for self defense
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun for self defense Login/Join 
Picture of dc54
posted
I’ve been carrying a handgun on a pretty much daily basis for about 25 years. In all those years I have never had to shoot anyone or even draw my gun. I’m very grateful for that fact!! Only once have I felt the need to put my hand on my gun to discourage a very aggressive “panhandler”. It seems that reaching for something on the belt behind your hip is a somewhat universal sign. I was wondering how many non law enforcement folks have actually had to use their handgun in self defense. I don’t plan on giving up the practice, but I’m just curious as to how often does the need arise? I’m zero for 25 years. Hopefully that’s the norm.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zero in 30 years and happy about it...still carry.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None other than as a combat infantryman. I carry all of the time but have never had to use a weapon to protect myself.

I have dispatched a few varmints on the ranch.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've carried for 11 years now, and while there have been a few times where I was glad to have it handy, I never needed it for 2 legged types. Not even to reach for it.

I have pulled it in the woods when approached by a feral hog on a trail, but the hog ignored me and trotted off into the woods.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
0 for 25 +/- years.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
carried for 28 years. Never had to "use" the pistol.

Part of the equation is just the fact of bad guys knowing you might be armed which deters many of them.

IMHO, shall issue CHL laws have made EVERYONE safer, regardless if you own a gun or not. Simply because bad guys don't know who carries and who does not.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried for 38 years now. Thank God it's 0.

Posts: 25 | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Zero for 26 years.

I hope that continues.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm at 11 years now, never had any need. that said we've had these threads once or twice, never do seem to get anyone who's needed to use their weapon in them.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting reading! It gave me a flashback to the time when I was in the airport long term parking lot to pick up my car after a flight in from NY. A car full of of thug type guys cut across my path and stopped short in front of me....they asked where long term parking was and they were in it! I immediately reached back toward my hip and one of the guys in the back seat yelled to the driver: Go! Go! Go! I kept my hand on my hip and they took off in a big hurry! I realized then that I didn't have a gun with me because I just got off an airplane!

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
I'm at 11 years now, never had any need. that said we've had these threads once or twice, never do seem to get anyone who's needed to use their weapon in them.

At least 2 other discussion forum I have read have had similar threads ... all with the same results.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was at a walk-up ATM, I was being crowded by three yoofs. I asked them to back off and give me some space, they laughed and gave me the "No hablo" reply.

While reaching for my wallet in my back pocket I "accidentally" exposed my holstered pistol. The yoofs immediately remembered some very important business someplace else. I did not draw, nor even touch, my pistol.

I think that they were kind of surprised to see an Old Guy who was armed. What they should have realized was that my generation, most of us did serve some military time, we did learn how to use firearms, and here in Florida the chances that a random person is carrying are pretty good.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My third renewal will be coming up in 2020, so I've been carrying for close to 15 years. Only on occasion until 2016. Nearly 100% of the time, since. I've never been obliged to even reach, much less draw, much less shoot.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twice as non LEO:
In downtown Cincinnati, two dudes tried to hustle me into a car. Robbery attempt, I would guess, as it would not be profitable to kidnap me. I drew a Combat Commander and they disappeared.
I went to the crapper in the rest area of the toll road around Chicago and a dude tried to rob me at knife point. I flashed a nickle plated S&W Model 19 and left without further trouble.
No shots fired.
And now I just avoid sketchy areas. Boring, aint it?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
0 for 11, though there have been a couple times I was really glad to have it.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
0 for 27 yrs. I tend to be even more careful about avoiding trouble when I am carrying.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The last time I can think of that I might have liked to have had a gun on me was over 25 years ago, coincidentally with an aggressive panhandler. The incident didn't escalate that far. Since I was getting gas for my car at the time, if the need had arisen I could have given him a face or snootful of gas. I haven't had such a need since. Not going to risky places, engaging in risky behavior or hanging with flaky people avoids almost all trouble.
quote:
It seems that reaching for something on the belt behind your hip is a somewhat universal sign.

This makes a case for a BUG, not for what people usually think of (in case the main gun malfunctions or is lost control of), but as the first gun you go to. With a small pistol or revolver in a front pocket, you can appear to have your hand casually in your pocket, but with your hand already on a gun. With the right gun and pant pockets, because your hand is already on the gun, draw from a pocket can be pretty quick. Most people watch faces for visual cues, not hands (LEO trainees have to have this drummed into their heads), but reaching behind your hip is pretty obvious. I did this pretty regularly, but have gotten lazy or complacent. For one thing, not many pants have a pocket large enough to have a firing grip on a gun.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Extremely close, several years ago, when I was still living in an apartment. One evening, I decided to go to the range. At the time, I had let my CHL expire and was too lazy to renew, so, I cannot carry the gun and had to put it in the glove compartment. As I drove toward the exit gate, there were 2 young punks loitering around the code box. I drove up and asked what they were doing. They said, "How do we get out of here?" I pointed them to the pedestrian gate. As they were heading there, I had to roll the window down completely to enter the code to exit. As I was doing that, I also turned my head to see where them punks were. In a flash, they ran back and tried to grab me out of the car. Man, in a total shock, my left hand was honking the horn like crazy, while the right was reaching to open the glove compartment to grab the gun. The 2 assholes ran off into the dark. So shaken up still, I got out of the car and started screaming, "You SOBs, come back here, and I'll kill you". I reported the incident to the 2 cops I saw who were in the next door convenient store having some coffee, and they were totally uninterested in doing anything about it.

This incident really made me mad, because, as aware as I am of the surrounding, I still almost got caught. Mad

Also, I wonder if things had turned out a little differently, if my CHL was not expired, and the gun was on me at the time.

Q

Posts: 26385 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once about 4 years ago. I had just stepped out of my truck at night in a deserted parking lot at my factory. Reached back into the truck to retrieve my revolver and a drink from the armrest cup holder. Felt someone approaching me from behind. Spun around and pointed it at a man rapidly walking towards me with something in his left hand that looked like a pipe. I did not have to discharge. He took off like a scalded dog.

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Once in 11 years...

Long story.... issue with neighbor and dogs.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post