SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why isn't the paddle mag release more popular??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why isn't the paddle mag release more popular?? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Is it simply due to the average shooting publics ingrained muscle memory to go for the thumb button? Is it that most folks try to use their thumb awkwardly vs their trigger or middle finger?

I have always felt the paddle release was superior in many ways.
-100% ambi
-a failure of one paddle side still leaves you the other
-less chance of inadvertent operation
-no shifting of grip to release, especially those with small hands
-multiple options on how to use the mag release

I am not saying this design makes all others stupid or anything like that just that it surprises me that it's not more popular and what I see as a huge advantage is usually one of the things complained about by new Walther/HK owners. I can only surmise it's a familiarity thing or that new users are trying to use it like a traditional thumb button release.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
Because there is more at play than just being better.

The thumb release had already established itself as the defacto standard. Once that is established it takes a much larger force than simply being a little better to dethrone it.

Now if the paddle release had competed head to head with the thumb release back when it was invented, it might be a different story.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

I have always felt the paddle release was superior in many ways.
-100% ambi
-a failure of one paddle side still leaves you the other
-less chance of inadvertent operation
-no shifting of grip to release, especially those with small hands

I think that it is not as popular because out of listed advantages only one is completely objective, others have not shown to be of any practical value, some are debatable and some, depending on a specific paddle design, are wrong. In addition, in small segments of users this location may be considered as less safe.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with PPGMD on this.

Posts: 2012 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know. Some answers already posted are plausible. I like them.

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I found a downside of the HK paddle release. I had a minor irritation on my trigger finger and as a result I was putting more finger on the trigger than usual with my P30SK and was actually activating the magazine release when shooting the pistol with the recoil pushing against my finger enough to cause the release. I posted on an HK forum about this and found I was not alone experiencing this but certainly in the minority.

Here is picture of my hand on my P30SK when I put a lot of finger on the trigger.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always felt that a paddle release was better but many times the inferior alternative ends up being the most popular. Take three dot sights for example. I absolutely hate them. There are superior sights available but most handguns have the three dots.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3540 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
As a LH shooter, I prefer the paddle release.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PPQ M1 made me a believer of the merits of a paddle release.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have a tendency to blame such things on unimaginative conservatism and the fact that “best” is not necessarily equivalent to “popular.” But if someone has a dozen guns with the left side pushbutton magazine catch that he’s shot for years, it’s unlikely he’s going to be enamored of a different mechanism. I’m just happy when the pushbutton can be switched to the right side so I can operate it with my index finger. Fortunately that’s becoming common these days—albeit probably for the wrong reason.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 usp's. I really like the paddle release.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy likes the paddles on his Walther. We tease him about his "ND mag release" because the index finger is the trigger finger and should only be used as such!

He doesn't seem to have figured out that we all use our index finger on our ARs for the mag release and often BAD levers for the bolt catch/release. Hell, my XCR has the bolt catch levers built into the trigger guard.

To respond directly to the OP's list:
-100% ambi -- Honestly not important to me.
-a failure of one paddle side still leaves you the other -- Why would I expect one side to fail? Are push buttons failing at any noticeable rate?
-less chance of inadvertent operation -- Or double the chance as there's two sides?
-no shifting of grip to release, especially those with small hands -- Maybe true for small hands...not so much for me.
-- Buttons have options too...use thumb, support hand, switch sides as sigfreund apparently does.

My experience with the paddles is on the VP9. As grumpy1 showed, my finger gets poked by it.
Even after filing it down, it still rubs and is bothersome. I have big hands, and it's awkward bringing my finger that far back to use the right side paddle. I do have to shift the pistol a touch to properly get the left paddle with my thumb, but it's not bad. I've always been on the fence about selling the VP9. Once I saw HK is releasing a push button (hopefully here), it made up my mind...the VP9 is gonna get sold.

For as much teasing as we give my buddy that likes the paddles, I get that it works well for him, and that's all that matters.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
To answer the OP; I really don't know because I really prefer it. I have accidentally activated the standard button release accidentally while the pistol was holstered and couple of times. No danger of doing that with the paddle.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I went through an HK phase and did find I was faster on reloads with the paddles after getting used to them. It took less time for it to feel natural than what I thought. I've moved away from the HKs, but I have to admit I really liked the paddles when I was using them.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
All valid points.

I was never saying they should surpass or are necessarily superior to the time honored button just that I was surprised they were not more popular then they are especially when folks buy into a Walther/HK.

I can see how those with "monkey paws" Smile may have issues. I don't have that problem since I can't palm a ...... golf ball Frown.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I like the paddle release, I just don't want any of the pistols it exists on.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I am in the minority probably, as I like heel release magazines/Makarovs, P83's, early Sig P220's, and my first paddle magazine release was a USP 40 if I remember correctly.

Using a M1 PPS for the past year, I have become used to the method.

One of the main advantages I see, in paddle/heel release magazine releases is less chance of an accidental mag kickout.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own and like both. I'm more familiar with button, but have to admit that paddle works pretty darn well.

In general, I think that rapid reloads are something we place too much emphasis upon. It's a neat skill, looks cool and helps you win matches, but I suspect is of little practical significance to the CCW holder. Even in LE, how often is the reload conducted during an active exchange of rounds, out in the open where maximum speed is required? I'll bet it's not often.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I prefer the paddles. We're all made different.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My take: because for most shooters it's not a clearly superior system to button operation. Simple as that. No need for the typical old dog to retrain for a new system when it's something that is not vastly better or advantageous to use.

Individuals may prefer it over the button release, but I'd argue that any performance advantages the paddle release may offer will vary from person to person, unlike the speed advantages the button release has over the old heel release. As for me, I like the paddles but it's because my relatively short index finger can easily manipulate the paddle without too much shifting of my hand on the grip. Then again and despite my short digits, I'm not having any problems manipulating the button release on my carry Glocks for fast mag changes and quickly returning to my proper grip purchase during the process.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post