SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best all steel 9mm pistol $305 can buy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best all steel 9mm pistol $305 can buy Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
I'm a Tanfoglio fan and EAA the current importer hasn't brought over any Steel frame small-frames in a while. A recent contract over run has brought just that. Small frame Tanfoglio's in matte black nitride. I love this thing. Solid piece of steel that feels great in the hand and weighs as much as an elephant. DA/SA with manual safety...no decocker. Decock the old fashioned way. Can be carried cocked-n-locked. You can also work the slide with the safety on. DA pull is long but smooth...the SA is a real sweet heart. Nice and crisp. The reset isn't the shortest hit it works. The only plastic I found were the original grips which I swapped out for a set of Grips4u walnuts. CZ 75/85 grips work as do Mecgar mags for the CZ. The front sight is fixed so no changing that. Slide to frame fit and lock up is super tight. I was so impressed with my first range outing that I ordered a second one before I got back to my car from Gunbuyer.com.

All told I spend under $400 shipped including the new grips and transfer.

10 yards standing unsupported 115gr ball. 300 rounds 0 failures. Shot some 115gr + p and this thing chewed up the recoil with its beefiness.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice catch. I had a Witness years ago and it was surprising. It shot flawlessly with many types of ammo.,accuracy was good for me and recoil was pretty soft. EAA makes some pretty decent stuff,especially their higher end stuff.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Nice catch. I had a Witness years ago and it was surprising. It shot flawlessly with many types of ammo.,accuracy was good for me and recoil was pretty soft. EAA makes some pretty decent stuff,especially their higher end stuff.

These are made by Tanfoglio. EAA is only the importer.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah these threads are going to make my wife mad at me, lol. I find myself wanting an all-steel 9mm with a nice SA trigger purely for range giggles and tinkering. That sounds like a CZ to me.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just the camera angle but that doesn't look particularly compact to me. Still a nice pistol, just regular size.

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbmcmjr:
Maybe it's just the camera angle but that doesn't look particularly compact to me. Still a nice pistol, just regular size.

Small frame is in reference to the circumference of the grip frame. It's still a fullsize gun. Large frame guns have mags that hold 17 rounds and are a bit wider. These are 16 rounders.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, could replace the model 10 as a truck gun. Are these known to be reliable? Reliable with any SD ammo?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
No pictures show for whatever reason. Is this the one?
https://www.gunbuyer.com/catal...ued-16rd-eaa-999111/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
No pictures show for whatever reason. Is this the one?
https://www.gunbuyer.com/catal...ued-16rd-eaa-999111/

Yes that's it

https://gun.deals/product/eaa-...shipping?mobile=true

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Hmmmm, could replace the model 10 as a truck gun. Are these known to be reliable? Reliable with any SD ammo?

Yes they are. They dominate competition shooting around the world. They are basically CZ-75 clones with some differences. The old Springfield P9 is just a rebranded Tanfoglio.

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
My steel CZ-75 early import is the same way. has heft in the hand but in single action mode, it shoots so very well.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do some of these guns have the safety on the slide and others on the frame ??

I much prefer the safety on the frame because that is how my other guns are....

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Why do some of these guns have the safety on the slide and others on the frame ??

I've never seen a slide mounted safety on a Tanfoglio. I think you are thinking of the Baby Eagle 941 and it's variants which is made by IWI/IMI

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Pretty good video on this model small frame Tanfoglio

https://youtu.be/M6JpCV9XFp4

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to love the CZ75 and Tanfoglio gun family but the ergos won't work for me as the trigger reach is too long. Turns out the "small frame" is an improvement but simply not enough after a LGS sanity check.

Regardless I do appreciate Dusty for having posted this thread.

I have a couple 9mms and my fav that I'll be sticking with is a "tweaked" FM M90 Detective "chopped" Hi-Power. Ergos are perfect for me. And a great rotation option to my 45ACP DW CCOs Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i went on a CZ buying spree a few months back. After researching then current asking prices for the older Witness pistols, I decided to stick with CZ. I really like the nickle finish full-sized 45's.

That Tanfoglio gun at under 400 would be bought up in an instant!

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That has a tail and a rail.Just ship it to me so you can keep your cut.

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:

I've never seen a slide mounted safety on a Tanfoglio. I think you are thinking of the Baby Eagle 941 and it's variants which is made by IWI/IMI

You're right ! I thought they were the same.....thanks for the info ! mike

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Alright... so questions..

Is this just a small frame Stock 3? Is the front sight staked like a CZ75 pre B, or can you tell? Any idea on parts compatibility with modern tanfos or cz's, ie cgw parts, etc? Can you provide better pictures of the sights? Magwell, and frame with the top end removed?

I'm super tempted although I have become 100% conditioned to rack the slide from the front of the gun.. and that appears impossible with this one.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
Alright... so questions..

Is this just a small frame Stock 3? Is the front sight staked like a CZ75 pre B, or can you tell? Any idea on parts compatibility with modern tanfos or cz's, ie cgw parts, etc?

The front sight isn't staked on it looks to just be milled out of the same block the slide was. It integral. Parts interchange with any new large frame Tanfoglio except for the mags and grips. The second one I bought I'm going to convert to SAO. All you need to do is install a SAO trigger and remove the interrupter on the hammer. It's not a stock 3. Stock 3's have the full dustcover, square trigger guard, checkering, ambi safety, bull barrel, adjustable sights, etc... that's a $900 gun so not a fair comparrison.