Find
Notify
Tools

Star BM Login/Join 
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted
A month or so ago, I put in for a pistol permit. I live in NJ and a permit is required for each purchase and that’s the typical turn-around time. On the bright side, NJ has saved me quite a bit of money with their delay tactics as they’ve eliminated spontaneous purchases Smile

I didn’t have anything particular in mind when I applied for the permit. I’m really underwhelmed with most of the offerings out there since I’m not a fan of plastic and/or strikers. I realize that’s the trend and the future but they’re not my cup of tea. I like metal, hammer-fired guns without a manual safety. Hence, guns like the classic Sig P series and CZ decock-only models are my preference.

I’m happy with the pistols I have and I really don’t NEED anything. This one is just for fun. As such, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money. I happened to see that there was a new shipment of Star BM’s so I pulled the trigger. Yes, it has a manual safety but it checked off the other boxes: all steel, hammer-fired and inexpensive. From what I’ve read, they have a reputation for good build quality and reliability. The down side is that parts are scarce.

They are currently being offered by AIM Surplus, J&G and Classic Firearms. I bought from Classic Firearms (I have no affiliation with any of the 3 mentioned) for $230 and added another $20 for hand select. I also picked up 2 extra mags. I’m anxious to see what I get in terms of condition. I bought it on Tuesday morning but it still hasn’t shipped.

I’ll post some pictures and a range report when I get it. I’m going to my friend’s place in PA in a couple of weeks and we’ll put quite a few rounds through it.

Anyway, does anyone here own one or have any personal experience with the Star?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one about a year ago. $200. And get mags when you can, they can be hard to find. Underrated little pistol. Mine is very tightly fitted and was full of old grease. Be sure to try out HP loads to ensure reliability.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a BM from AIM. A few $'s more but I would term condition as VG+. Ordered a new recoil spring from Wolff and an extra mag from Classic as AIM doesn't seem to have stock. Tomorrow's job is to eliminate the mag disconnect.

pessimist: Very much appreciate the heads-up on the mags!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Had one that I traded off. Great pistol. Shot like a 22 with all that steel. Would have kept it, but I am a fickle bastard and was tempted by a short skirt with a big magazine. Enjoy yours.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a pair of those from Classic Firearms this past week, too. Mine haven’t shipped either. I paid extra for hand select and for original cardboard boxes. I’ve never had one, but I figured I’d give them a try.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a vg on the way

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I had a BM and a couple of BM Supers. The worst condition Super was a tack driver, the others were not. Seems like I remember reading that it was not safe to carry one with a round in the chamber. They were not drop safe.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I had a BM and a couple of BM Supers. The worst condition Super was a tack driver, the others were not. Seems like I remember reading that it was not safe to carry one with a round in the chamber. They were not drop safe.

The majority of BMs did not have an inertial firing pin and thus were not safe to carry with a round in the chamber.

A few did have inertial firing pins: you can tell by placing a flat object against the "hammer side" of the the pin and pushing the pin flat against the frame. If the pin protrudes on the "chamber side" of the frame, the gun does not have an inertial firing pin and is not safe to carry with a round in the chamber (with the hammer down).

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elde:
Just picked up a BM from AIM. A few $'s more but I would term condition as VG+. Ordered a new recoil spring from Wolff and an extra mag from Classic as AIM doesn't seem to have stock. Tomorrow's job is to eliminate the mag disconnect.

pessimist: Very much appreciate the heads-up on the mags!

AIM claims to have bought the best condition pistols in this latest import shipment. I didn't learn that until after I ordered from Classic. Classic still hasn't shipped my pistol.

Removing the magazine disconnect is the first order of business for me as well. It should improve the trigger and allow the magazines to drop free.

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:AIM claims to have bought the best condition pistols in this latest import shipment. I didn't learn that until after I ordered from Classic. Classic still hasn't shipped my pistol.

I just perused AIM's website but could not find any. Not even in the Sold Out category. Next up: J&G.

Edited to add: J&G still has them in stock, including hand-select VG. They will only sell you one extra mag at this time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tailhook 84,

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
The BM from J&G arrived yesterday so thought I'd write an initial report on what I received. I paid an extra $20 for a hand-picked VG and another $20 for an extra mag. Total cost was $291 to my FFL (free transfers for vets), and my first impression is that I made a great purchase.

The CAI import stenciling has been blued over nicely, and it's quite possible they also blued over any holster marks while they were at it. If so, they missed the wear mark on the short beaver tail where the 1911 grip safety would normally be. This is probably from the right arm brushing over it during it's holstered service life. The slide bluing, while not deep and super glossy is quite nice. The entire pistol looks like it's barely been shot based on the full length guide rod having just a few faint rings here and there. The feed ramp, exterior barrel and slide rails were either re-blued or this is practically a new gun. Even the takedown lever pin doesn't show any signs of wear. The barrel lands and grooves are nice and shiny, and the grips are in great shape with only a few nicks on the right panel.

While the takedown and reassembly is very 1911-like, there are some minor differences. Although it arrived well lubed, it was actually difficult to get the slide off and barrel bushing out. Had the same issues during reassembly which I think is due to the parts not being worn enough and/or the assembler being an impatient 'tard. There were absolutely no wear marks on the slide or frame rails. I finally got it back together, oiled it up and she's pretty slick. The trigger is hinged and has some take-up, but the break is nice, crisp and light. At this point I do not predict I will need any new springs based on the near-new condition of the gun.

For a pistol that was manufactured in 1977 it is in really fine shape! That said, it still has that look and feel of a working gun, so getting it dirty and broken in at the range won't be a concern. I do not intend to place this in the carry rotation, but I'm looking forward to running lots of rounds through it at the range.

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have owned 2 Star BM's, and a BKM (alloy frame), in past years, although not up to Colt Standards as an 1911 style pistol, all worked well.

One thing I really disliked, was there was no "click-positive-engagement" with the thumb safety, and the detent spring and plunger for that safety, or should I say the position of those two.

Also had 2 Star PD's (45acp), and the same applies to them.

But enjoy your pistol.

A great assessment of the Star BM by Stephen Camp, for the OP's reading:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns...at+Star+Model+BM.htm

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the follow-up, Tailhook. I’m glad you got a good one.

Unfortunately, I can’t say the same. I just got back from my FFL and I didn’t accept delivery. The barrel bushing is bent (clearly visible) and there’s quite a bit of surface rust and pitting. It may have been a training/range gun because it looks like it had tens of thousands of rounds through it.

I paid for “hand select” but there’s no way anyone inspected that gun before they shipped it. I’ve asked for a full refund.

posted Hide Post
Fwiw, it's a few years old but could still be relevant: http://star-firearms.com/info/parts.shtml

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
Unfortunately, I can’t say the same. I just got back from my FFL and I didn’t accept delivery.

Sorry to hear that, pessimist. Hope the return works out for you.

Sunset, on my pistol there is no problem with a positive engagement on the safety. Mine is so stiff it almost needs two thumbs to engage and disengage! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Picked up mine yesterday. Overall not bad shape for 275. I stripped it down, cleaned, greased and oiled it. I have never owned one before, i have a friend who had one and have shot it quite a bit.

Accuracy ay 25yds is about 8 inches. Grouping 4" high 4"left. At 25yds i was able to hit my 12x18 steel plate 15 out of 16 times. Mostly center mass. Draw fire,fire, holster repeat.

I had forgotten about hammer bite they always ger me with. Out of 100 rds of winchester white box, i had one failure to eject. I believe it was my fault my 2nd hand thumb rode the slide a bit.

Overall, for a steel gun it is not as soft as my dw guardian 9, imo my last two p225's, or my wifes shield. It is not as accurate as my p225's or shield either. While not a bad gun for under 300 i am betting one could find more servicable firearms at near the same price if one shopped.

I will try and get somesleep photos. Mine was a vg example.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Mine was a vg example.

I'm really not trying to be rude with this question, but did you pay an extra fee for hand-picked? My impression at J&G was that I needed to pay an extra $20 for a hand picked VG. I would have been disappointed if after doing so my pistol arrived in that condition.

posted Hide Post
Star pistols are hit and miss. They weren't designed as showroom pieces. Star has come and gone more than once.

I owned an eibar star firestar which was very reliable, designed to be carried cocked and locked. If the trigger was depressed while cocked with the safety on, however, on occasion the hammer would follow the safety and the pistol could discharge by releasing the safety; an obvious problem.

I put a boatload of reloads through that pistol. Spare parts were a non-issue; it could have been run over by a tank without any problem. I doubt I'd have ever worn it out. I finally traded it out for something else.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one was through the local shop's distributor zanders.

I have seen 3 of the vg, one of the goods. This is the best example. Keep in mind these were blued guns in leather holster in use daily in spain. The only spot that is not superficial is the trigger. If i take the time and remove it, it would clean up fine.

These guns had a long run as a daily carry, this one of mine is from 1978. This is a 38 years old police model. The internals show no rust, no pitting. The barrel bushing is snug, the bore clean and un pitted, the crown is smooth and round. No pitting or rust around the sights, in the magazines. I have bought p7's,cz 82's, isreali hipowers, cz75's and one p6 all supposedly vg. Most have had more or less some wear on the finish. This is in fine condition, for the price and its age.

This one came with the second mag.

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Mine was a vg example.

I'm really not trying to be rude with this question, but did you pay an extra fee for hand-picked? My impression at J&G was that I needed to pay an extra $20 for a hand picked VG. I would have been disappointed if after doing so my pistol arrived in that condition.

Here's some photos of the "hand picked" pistol that was sent to me:

Nice, huh?