SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who makes a good heel release magazine for a p220 9mm single stack?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes a good heel release magazine for a p220 9mm single stack? Login/Join 
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted
Picked one up and just spent the winter dryfiring it and put it on paper yesterday. WOW she really shoots and is stock I believe but hard to tell what has happened in the last 30 years. It has a wonderful trigger, nothing not to like. Only have one magazine and would like to have another.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Western Gun Parts out of Canada (http://www.westerngunparts.com/index.html) has been selling them on GB for quite some time. I've bought some from them and had no issues.

Their prices have crept up a bit over the years, but, I still think they're reasonable considering they seem to be the only game in town.

Now, where are the pics of this 220?

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Congrats - they're amazingly fun little pistols to shoot. Hope you find the mags you want. Not that they're any cheaper or easier to find, but mags with the flat metal floor plate and the cuts for the American mag release button will also work just fine.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
This is a photo of her, she was made when Sig really knew how to develop a trigger, some of you will know what I mean.

ElCavito - what models should I be looking for?

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looks sharp!

The magazines for the American mag release will work in this one as well (as Il Cattivo mentioned). I think what he had alluded to is there is an alternate style floorplate that has a cap moulded onto it to aid in seating the magazine. The cap/pad on the floorplate will interfere with the European style magazine release mechanism. These floorplates are somewhat rare, but common enough to be mentioned.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
You might try SIG Customer Service. SIG made a run of the heel release magazines a few years ago and I bought one from Top Gun Supply. SIG may still have some.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in picking up thumb release mags for it, you can order from B&H Waffenhandle:

http://bh-waffenhandel.de/maga...-sauer-p220-magazine

B&H works with MMB Imports out of Maryland. I've bought mags from them and both companies are good to go. Be advised that they'll run about $98/ea shipped.

Western Gun Parts are selling the NOS heel release mags for $49/ea plus shipping.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Thank all who helped me out, been looking and they are out there, all a guy needs is a place to ask and this is a good one!

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I think what he had alluded to is there is an alternate style floorplate that has a cap moulded onto it to aid in seating the magazine. The cap/pad on the floorplate will interfere with the European style magazine release mechanism. These floorplates are somewhat rare, but common enough to be mentioned.

Yep, cap or "bumper pad". If you look at the way the heel mag release holds your mag in the well, you'll see what I mean when I say that the bottom of the mag has to be flat so that the heel clip can hold it in place. Still, it sounds like the Canadian option is better than the German option - although now I'm tempted to save up and maybe get a couple more for the American release 9mm in the house.

(FWIW, I found some American release mags in Nevada several years ago. Brand new, but $75 a pop.)

mcs1564, do you know offhand whether someone at BH-Waffenhandel speaks English? I could swear there was a 9mm conversion offered for the standard 220 over in Germany, but I've never stumbled across one online and I've got a complete lower half of a 220 looking for a new purpose in life.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
mcs1564, do you know offhand whether someone at BH-Waffenhandel speaks English? I could swear there was a 9mm conversion offered for the standard 220 over in Germany, but I've never stumbled across one online and I've got a complete lower half of a 220 looking for a new purpose in life.

A 9mm conversion kit (wechselsystem) was definitely available at one time. Stainless slide, target sights, and came in three different lengths. I've been after one for 6+ years now, so I can build a stainless SAO 220 in 9mm.

The two contacts I've corresponded with at B&H (Jens and Hendrik) both speak English. I'll send you their contact info when I have a chance tonight. I've already reached out to them about the conversion kit and asked to keep me in mind should they ever come across one with the standard length slide.

It's definitely out of production and it seems not very common. I've only come across a single picture of one outside of a catalog (standard length slide with extended barrel). Quite some time ago, I spoke to a contact in Switzerland and he noted that they weren't very popular since the kit was quite pricey and 220's in 9mm were readily available, well, at least in Switzerland.

With regard to mags, I was told by B&H that the 10 round mags will not work in a standard 220 due to the extended baseplate. Since the 9 round mags were available, I decided not to chance it. Surprisingly enough, delivery time didn't seem to be too bad. I'm currently waiting on another four that I ordered back on 3/11.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Hopefully it's not another "ghost in the catalogue" like the (in)famous P230 in .22LR. As for the mags, I'm perfectly happy with the 9-rounders myself - a big part of the charm in the P220EUs for me is that they seem to be compact in the right places and have a bit of size in the right places.

Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I spent the winter dryfiring her every night, starting with a few double action. Then went to double action exclusively and pretty soon the double action is not so tough. I got used to it.

Yesterday was a great cloudy day and I got to shoot her. My range is 88 yards, first four shots side by side well inside of the 3" bullseye, then the light changed and the next 5 went into a new four inch group at 11 clock.

I have another just like her and had Bruce Gray work her over and he really developed a great pistol. I feel very lucky to have two of them!

Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Thanks! Hopefully it's not another "ghost in the catalogue" like the (in)famous P230 in .22LR. As for the mags, I'm perfectly happy with the 9-rounders myself - a big part of the charm in the P220EUs for me is that they seem to be compact in the right places and have a bit of size in the right places.

Well, they were definitely made. Just not sure how many and where you can find one. Here's a pick of the conversion with extended barrel:

I would agree with what you said about the P220EU. They fit just a bit better than the P220-1. The one P220 I regret selling is an unfired AB date coded P220 with heel release...

By the way, MMBI sent me a tracking number today for the mags. Should arrive on Friday. Not bad for being ordered on the 11th and coming over from Germany.

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
I have another just like her and had Bruce Gray work her over and he really developed a great pistol. I feel very lucky to have two of them!

I was wondering if you still have the Desert Storm 220. Glad to hear it and should you ever need to re-home it, well....

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

posted Hide Post
quote:
My range is 88 yards, first four shots side by side well inside of the 3" bullseye, then the light changed and the next 5 went into a new four inch group at 11 clock.

do I read that right, a 9mm P220 delivered a 5 shot 4" group at 88 yard?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I still have the Desert Storm P220, love t dearly, but would hate to loose it if I had to use it in a self defense situation to some judge or evidence room. Thus this P220 will be my carry pistol.

"do I read that right, a 9mm P220 delivered a 5 shot 4" group at 88 yard?"

Yes the P220 can be a real shooter, I have only owned two and they are both very accurate, you have to find the right load and bullet and enjoy (practice) a lot.

The ones I have are not as accurate as the P210 Legends or the S&W 952 over 50 round groups, but once in a while they really shine.

Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
After checking a number of outfits I found single eu heel release magazines for anywhere from $140 to $64.00, I ordered one from ebay and just for $64 that claimed to have been made by Sig, just received my tracking #.

Again I thank you for your help.

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Western Gun Parts out of Canada (http://www.westerngunparts.com/index.html) has been selling them on GB for quite some time. I've bought some from them and had no issues.

Don't know why I keep telling people but these are my go to people as shown in the second post. Forty eight bucks plus shipping. Just tell them how many you want.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I tried to get to them but got into some odd ball deal and quit trying. Probably my fault, I do appreciate your advice.

Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Ed I was a little quick on the send button. I'm originally from the Nebraska Panhandle and should have more respect for a neighbor. I too love the P220 nines.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
UDO All is good!!
If you ever get to Riverton I have some private ranges from 0 to over 2,000 yards. be sure and bring your 9's same goes for others, I even let a friend shoot his Glock!!